Re: Windows Machine Names

  • JMVDWYM
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
      My apologies to everybody for not following up on this. I had planned
      to do stuff during my holiday weekend but spent it sick instead. Blah.

      Anyway, now that I'm feeling better I can try some of the suggestions
      that have been posted here - but I'll also see if I can do a better
      job of explaining my situation (for future searchers).

      My personal machines on the network have fixed IPs, but I also do a
      lot of "fixing" of machines for family & friends. Since most of these
      people have little computer experience, their machines are configured
      for DHCP.

      So to make my life easier I have a small pool (5) of IP addresses
      available for DHCP - this covers whatever machines I may be fixing at
      the time or any company that might be over for a LAN party. :-)

      The reason I care about the IP address at all is because I often use
      Windows Remote Desktop or VNC to allow myself or the computer owners
      remote access (through SSH via my Slug) to their machines.

      Now that the background is done, here's where the machine names come
      in handy. Currently I have to make a custom SSH shortcut for each
      person to get the right port directed to the right machine at the
      right IP. So I either need a fixed IP (which means reconfiguring the
      person's network settings then configuring them back) OR I need my
      slug to recognize machine names which makes life much easier for me
      and more flexible in general.

      So the custom:
      ssh.exe -ssh my.slug.com -P MyPort -R5900:192.168.100.x:5900 (where x
      varies by machine)

      Turns into:
      ssh.exe -ssh my.slug.com -P MyPort -R5900:DadsPC:5900 (where I don't
      care what the machine IP is)

      Hopefully I have some time in the next few days to try some of your
      suggestions and I'll try to post what did/didn't work for me.

      Thanks everybody!

      Jon-Mikel