kernel versions & ipkg

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      Seems to be a bit of a problem. Methinks ipkg is pulling the wrong kernel
      modules because there's a naming/numbering convention clash. Kernel is
      2.6.19-r1.647; the module is copied directly from the deploy/ipk directory:

      root@grouch:~$ ipkg install ./kernel-module-nfsd_2.6.19-r1.647_ixp4xxle.ipk
      Installing kernel-module-nfsd (2.6.19-rc6-r1.591) to root...
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugos-lag/cross/unstable/kernel-m
      odule-nfsd_2.6.19-rc6-r1.591_ixp4xxle.ipk
      Installing kernel-module-exportfs (2.6.19-rc6-r1.591) to root...
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugos-lag/cross/unstable/kernel-m
      odule-exportfs_2.6.19-rc6-r1.591_ixp4xxle.ipk
      Configuring kernel-module-exportfs
      Configuring kernel-module-nfsd
      root@grouch:~$

      Note that ipkg "graciously" decided NOT to install the kernel module I so
      carefully copied over, but instead gratuitously decided to download the
      older one from 2.6.19-rc6 (!!). I've repeated with various ipkg options,
      but no amount of trying will convince this recalcitrant program the
      2.6.19-r1.647 is more recent than 2.6.19-rc6-r1.591. Bummer.

      Some analysis follows:

      The kernel version progression appends "-rc#" for release candidates,
      thusly:

      2.6.19-rc5
      2.6.19-rc6
      2.6.19

      When SlugOS is built, the kernel naming convention appends the string
      and <m> is the svn version number that is bumped up each time a defconfig or
      patch-related change is made. For example, here's the last build names for
      the SlugOS kernel (all of which were based on the kernel sources for
      2.6.19):

      ixp4xx-kernel-2.6.19-r1.605
      ixp4xx-kernel-2.6.19-r1.644
      ixp4xx-kernel-2.6.19-r1.647

      Ok, no problem yet. Here's where things ugly creep in -- consider a build
      that was done based on a 2.6.19-rc# kernel source. Here's such a release
      number:

      ixp4xx-kernel-2.6.19-rc6-r1.591

      Note the two "-r" strings in the release name. I think that's what is
      messing up ipkg's logic.

      Solutions? I dunno. Probably the easiest for right now is to purge the
      feeds of all -rc builds; they are obsolete, and only developers should be
      using them. I defer to the feed maintainers' wisdom on doing so, however.

      Longer-term solution: Change the naming convention. Going from "git" to
      "rc#" to the empty string is difficult to parse, so perhaps we can alter the
      release suffix so that instead of tacking on just "-r<n>.<m>" for official
      released kernels, we toss on "-rls-r<n>.<m>" -- the "rls" will sort after
      "git" and "rc#" and should resolve the issue in the future.

      What think you all?

      Mike (mwester)