Re: Unslung init scripts - making your own

  • Tim Walker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
      Thanks Marcel - don't know how I missed the 'shebang' (#!/bin/sh) at
      the start. I should have also looked at the other init scripts in
      /opt/etc/init.d/, which would have shown me this. Sadly, I don't write
      many shell scripts these days, so this may be why I'd forgotten this
      was a good way to start them :-)

      I'll look again at the other init scripts for more good ideas, and
      post the revised ones for LCDd and lcdproc here when they're ready.

      Thanks again for your help - BTW, I'm expecting the Pertelian display
      to arrive tomorrow, so I should be able to report back here on
      progress in a couple of days.

      Much appreciated,
      Tim

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 23:13 +0000, Tim Walker wrote:
      >
      > > NAME=LCDd DAEMON=/opt/sbin/LCDd PIDFILE=/opt/var/run/$NAME.pid
      > >
      > > if [ -n "`pidof $NAME`" ] ; then
      > >
      > > echo "Stopping $NAME:"
      > > killall $NAME
      > >
      > > else
      > >
      > > echo "Starting $NAME:"
      > > $DAEMON &
      > >
      > > fi

      > > - Can anyone spot any potential problems with the scripts themselves?
      > > (I know the binaries' locations are correct, but I may be missing
      > > something else for all I know.)
      >
      > 1) I would at #!/bin/sh on the first line.
      > 2) I am not sure if your daemon writes to stdout or stderr.
      > In that case everything is written to a serial line which in
      > most cases isn't connected at all. Maybe that output should
      > be saved somewhere.
      >
      > --
      > marceln

    • Tim Walker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi Rod,

        Happy New Year to you (and to everyone else here)... just getting back
        into normal routine after Christmas :-)

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <rod@...> wrote:

        > Would you like to become an Optware developer so you can commit your
        additions to the repository?
        > Your scripts look fine, and your assumption about the numbers is
        correct.
        > -- Rod

        Thanks for your (and Marcel's) feedback on the scripts - I'm going to
        adjust them a bit, and post the updated ones here in due course. I'd
        be happy to help further if I can - Unslung is a great project, and
        I'dlike to give something back to the community in return for giving
        me a whole new network server...

        I'm expecting delivery of the Pertelian display any day now (hopefully
        tomorrow, Jan 2nd), so would it be OK with you if I make sure I can
        get it working, then come back here and let you all know how (if?) it
        worked? If all is well, I'd be glad to try packaging up lcdproc for
        Unslung, if it's something I'd be able to do.

        Only thing is, I'm not really a programmer-sort of developer - I'm
        fairly comfortable with the basics of compiling an application from
        source (including some config options), but have never written
        anything more than a few bash and PHP scripts, and haven't used SVN or
        systems like that. Having said that, if creating packages isn't that
        difficult, I'm happy to give it a go, at least for lcdproc.

        Is this the wiki entry on creating Optware packages?

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/AddAPackageToOptware

        (BTW: I compiled v0.5.0 of lcdproc - the latest is v0.5.1 - as it
        looks from the changelog as if the HD44780/lcdserializer driver which
        the Pertelian display needs, has been removed from 0.5.1. I'll see if
        this one works for me, and go from there.)

        Thanks again,
        Tim.

        - i.e. the ones which are named something like 'S80thttpd'. (I'm
        > specifically interested in making two scripts for LCDd/lcdproc - see
        > my earlier post
        > (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/message/16714) for
        the background to this.)

        > Adapted from the Fuppes HOWTO, here are the two scripts I've made so
        far:
        > ---
        > S94LCDd:
        >
        > NAME=LCDd DAEMON=/opt/sbin/LCDd PIDFILE=/opt/var/run/$NAME.pid
        >
        > if [ -n "`pidof $NAME`" ] ; then
        >
        > echo "Stopping $NAME:"
        > killall $NAME
        >
        > else
        >
        > echo "Starting $NAME:"
        > $DAEMON &
        >
        > fi
        > ---
        > S95lcdproc:
        >
        > [as above, but with 'lcdproc' replacing 'LCDd', and the daemon is in
        > /opt/bin/]
        > ---
        > There are two questions which are on my mind at this stage:
        >
        > - I named the scripts on the assumption that the 'S number' in the
        > name affects the order in which the scripts are executed. Am I
        > correct, and if so, would anyone suggest more appropriate numbers,
        in case LCDd and lcdproc need to be running before/after anything else?

        > - Can anyone spot any potential problems with the scripts themselves?
        > (I know the binaries' locations are correct, but I may be missing
        > something else for all I know.)
        >
        > Many thanks in advance for any suggestions on the above, or indeed
        my earlier post if anyone has something to add. Anything I learn from
        the above will go into the HOWTO I hope to produce for installing a
        > Pertelian X2040 LCD display on Unslung (my earlier post would form
        the first part). I've just ordered the Pertelian today, so when I have
        it I hope to update you on how I get on with adding it to my slug (if
        it ends up possible at all on Unslung, naturally).

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
          Tim Walker wrote:
          > Only thing is, I'm not really a programmer-sort of developer - I'm
          > fairly comfortable with the basics of compiling an application from
          > source (including some config options), but have never written
          > anything more than a few bash and PHP scripts, and haven't used SVN or
          > systems like that. Having said that, if creating packages isn't that
          > difficult, I'm happy to give it a go, at least for lcdproc.
          >
          > Is this the wiki entry on creating Optware packages?
          >
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/AddAPackageToOptware

          Yes, and you don't need much more than the skills you already have to
          contribute a package.