Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Test result: problem rsync from slugosbe optware unstable feed AS WELL AS na

  • CN
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Brian,

      First, the premise of that thread you gave below is wrong, at least in our context. As I described in my msg below, I do not get the error msg when I use the rsync (same version) built for unSlung as is in SlugOS/BE. Further more,

      I am using ext3 (not ext2),
      Mine is not an external file system (just copy from one partition to another)
      I have no samba

      Note: the error is NOT specific to your cross build of optware for slugosbe. The same error is also there in the native rsync available for SlubOS/BE.

      Cordially, Chacko

      On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 05:49:27 -0000, Brian Zhou wrote:

      > Sounds like this thread:
      >
      > http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@.../msg17520.html
      >
      > Not sure whether we need to fix it.
      >
      > -Brian
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Brian Zhao, Rod Whitby,
      > >
      > > I was testing the slugosbe optware unstable feed. Many pkgs are
      > working. Saw
      > > the following problem with rsync pkg. ipkg-opt install worked fine:
      > >
      > > #/opt/bin/rsync --version
      > > rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29
      > >
      > > When using this rsync, there are errors of every symbolic link copy
      > of the form:
      > > rsync: failed to set times on "/media/sda3/bin/echo": Function not
      > implemented
      > > (38)
      > >
      > > Now, I tried the same version rsync from the unSlung feed, under
      > slugos/be. It
      > > does NOT show this error!
      > >
      > > The latest native version for slugos/be of rsync is 2.6.8.
      > Interestingly, that
      > > version also is showing the same error!! So something is not right
      > in the normal
      > > build process of the native feed, as well as in Brian's new
      > slugosbe feed build.
      > > Same error.
      > >
      > > rsync options used in the test: -a --delete -v --stats --progress
      > >
      > > If you need any more information please ask.
      > >
      > > Cordially, Chacko
      > >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > mailto:nslu2-linux-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > mailto:nslu2-linux-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Brian Zhou
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        The latest optware rsync_2.6.9-2_armeb.ipk solved the problem, it is
        based on the last two posts in the thread I provided. The error
        message is superfluous and harmless.

        Also, please don't refer the openslug package feed as native. It is
        already quite confusing, I don't want to confuse more people.

        BTW, my last name is Zhou.

      • CN
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
          On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:48:55 -0000, Brian Zhou wrote:

          > The latest optware rsync_2.6.9-2_armeb.ipk solved the problem, it is
          > based on the last two posts in the thread I provided. The error
          > message is superfluous and harmless.

          That is good news! Yes, the error msg was there when there was no error. But
          it was not quite harmless: the script using it gets an error code and so it wont
          proceed :( Also it was spewing out large quantities of those msgs, on big disk to
          disk copies where only a brief summary of the operation was normally present at
          the end of the script.

          > Also, please don't refer the openslug package feed as native. It is
          > already quite confusing, I don't want to confuse more people.

          I thought openslug was an old name, we no longer are using to reduce confusion

          > BTW, my last name is Zhou.

          Sorry about that, thanks for pointing it out.

          Cordially, Chacko