Wifi driver for the Ralink RT73/RT2571 chipset?

  • oabroad
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2006
      Has anyone compiled this? I couldn't find it in ipkg, unless it's
      in "unstable"?

      I've had a go at compiling it native but even though I think I have
      the whole slugos-native package installed I'm getting things not
      found e.g:

      make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.16/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
      make: *** [all] Error 2

      or

      root@zebidee:~/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6/Module# ./Configure

      -------------------- Ralink RT73 Station Configuration ---------------
      -----

      Linux kernel source directory [/usr/src/linux-2.6.16]:

      Linux source tree '/usr/src/linux-2.6.16' is incomplete or missing!

      Configuration failed

      root@zebidee:~/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6/Module#
    • Øyvind Repvik
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 30, 2006
        oabroad wrote:
        > Has anyone compiled this? I couldn't find it in ipkg, unless it's
        > in "unstable"?
        >
        > I've had a go at compiling it native but even though I think I have
        > the whole slugos-native package installed I'm getting things not
        > found e.g:
        >
        > make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.16/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
        > make: *** [all] Error 2
        >
        > or
        >
        > root@zebidee:~/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6/Module# ./Configure
        >

        > -------------------- Ralink RT73 Station Configuration ---------------
        > -----
        >
        > Linux kernel source directory [/usr/src/linux-2.6.16]:
        >
        > Linux source tree '/usr/src/linux-2.6.16' is incomplete or missing!
        >
        > Configuration failed
        >
        > root@zebidee:~/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6/Module#

        You need to get the whole linux source tree (Can't remember if that is
        available from ipkg or not). Unpack this into /usr/src (It should create
        a directory called linux-2.6.16). Then "cd /lib/modules/2.6.16/" and do
        "ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.16 build".

        Then retry your build.

        Øyvind
      • Adam Baker
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
          Øyvind Repvik <repvik@...> writes:

          > oabroad wrote:
          > > Has anyone compiled this? I couldn't find it in ipkg, unless it's
          > > in "unstable"?
          > >
          > > I've had a go at compiling it native but even though I think I have
          > > the whole slugos-native package installed I'm getting things not
          > > found e.g:
          > >
          > > make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.16/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
          > > make: *** [all] Error 2

          I've spent quite a long time trying to build this for unslung and DebianSlug
          (I haven't tried SlugOS/BE or Debian RC1 yet).

          The ralink version of the driver despite the liberal sprinkling of #ifdef
          BIG_ENDIAN in the code makes lots of assumptions that the processor is little
          endian, some of which are quite hard to fix (most 802.11 headers are little
          endian in the standard and are just generated with processor endianess by the
          driver for example). Compiling for DebianSlug which is LE is better but still
          doesn't work - I suspect some structure padding issues which I haven't
          tracked down.

          There is an alternative driver being developed (see
          http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com) but that needs a newer kernel than DebianSlug
          and a kernel patch so it can use the devicescape stack. I'm currently waiting
          to see what is happening with Debian on the slug before deciding how to
          proceed (e.g. will it move to using kexec to keep the live kernel on disk
          which would make experimenting with patched kernels easier).
        • Jon Smirl
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
            On 12/31/06, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:
            > Øyvind Repvik <repvik@...> writes:
            >
            > > oabroad wrote:
            > > > Has anyone compiled this? I couldn't find it in ipkg, unless it's
            > > > in "unstable"?

            So if Ralink RT73/RT2571 doesn't work, which USB Wifi dongles are known to work?

            --
            Jon Smirl
            jonsmirl@...
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
              Jon Smirl wrote:
              > On 12/31/06, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:
              >> Øyvind Repvik <repvik@...> writes:

              > So if Ralink RT73/RT2571 doesn't work, which USB Wifi dongles are known to work?

              zd1211 dongles are working. They don't like heavy traffic though, but
              there is a rewritten driver in the works which should improve the situation.

              Øyvind
            • oabroad
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                > I've spent quite a long time trying to build this for unslung and
                DebianSlug
                > (I haven't tried SlugOS/BE or Debian RC1 yet).
                >
                > The ralink version of the driver despite the liberal sprinkling of
                #ifdef
                > BIG_ENDIAN in the code makes lots of assumptions that the processor
                is little
                > endian, some of which are quite hard to fix (most 802.11 headers
                are little
                > endian in the standard and are just generated with processor
                endianess by the
                > driver for example). Compiling for DebianSlug which is LE is better
                but still
                > doesn't work - I suspect some structure padding issues which I
                haven't
                > tracked down.
                >
                > There is an alternative driver being developed (see
                > http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com) but that needs a newer kernel than
                DebianSlug
                > and a kernel patch so it can use the devicescape stack. I'm
                currently waiting
                > to see what is happening with Debian on the slug before deciding
                how to
                > proceed (e.g. will it move to using kexec to keep the live kernel
                on disk
                > which would make experimenting with patched kernels easier).

                Thanks for the warning.

                It was only £7.50 from CPC so I'm not really out of pocket on this. A
                USB Wireless solution would have been handy though.
              • M. Vamvakaris
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                  I have Zyxel AG-225H which is based on ZD1211. Is there any exact way to make it work on latest unslung?

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                    On 12/31/06, Øyvind Repvik <repvik@...> wrote:
                    > Jon Smirl wrote:

                    > > So if Ralink RT73/RT2571 doesn't work, which USB Wifi dongles are known to work?
                    > >
                    > zd1211 dongles are working. They don't like heavy traffic though, but
                    > there is a rewritten driver in the works which should improve the situation.

                    I have been working on the zd1211rw driver, it is ok at 11mb but I
                    can't get it to work reliably above 11mb. I am also having trouble
                    with it dropping sessions.

                    Anything else work?

                    --
                    Jon Smirl
                    jonsmirl@...
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                      Jon Smirl wrote:
                      > On 12/31/06, Øyvind Repvik <repvik@...> wrote:
                      >> Jon Smirl wrote:

                      >>> So if Ralink RT73/RT2571 doesn't work, which USB Wifi dongles are known to work?
                      >>>
                      >> zd1211 dongles are working. They don't like heavy traffic though, but
                      >> there is a rewritten driver in the works which should improve the situation.
                      >
                      > I have been working on the zd1211rw driver, it is ok at 11mb but I
                      > can't get it to work reliably above 11mb. I am also having trouble
                      > with it dropping sessions.

                      Don't use the zd1211rw driver. In the current state, it sucks ;-)
                      The zd1211-r83 driver works for me. The throughput on the slug isn't
                      great, but it's enough for most of the stuff I do.

                      Øyvind
                    • CN
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                        On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:31:38 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:

                        > I have been working on the zd1211rw driver, it is ok at 11mb but I
                        > can't get it to work reliably above 11mb. I am also having trouble
                        > with it dropping sessions.
                        > Jon Smirl

                        Jon,

                        Do you mean you working on improving it or you are using it? On which os?
                        SlugOS/BE?

                        Cordially, Chacko
                      • Jon Smirl
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                          On 12/31/06, CN <t4chacko@...> wrote:
                          > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:31:38 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
                          >
                          > > I have been working on the zd1211rw driver, it is ok at 11mb but I
                          > > can't get it to work reliably above 11mb. I am also having trouble
                          > > with it dropping sessions.
                          > > Jon Smirl
                          >
                          > Jon,
                          >
                          > Do you mean you working on improving it or you are using it? On which os?
                          > SlugOS/BE?

                          I am trying to figure out why it won't work at 54M. I am using x86 to
                          work on the code. So far I don't have any ideas about what it wrong
                          with it. Best I am able to get on Linux is 24M, if I boot Windows on
                          same hardware I can get 54M.

                          --
                          Jon Smirl
                          jonsmirl@...
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                            On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:19:15 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:

                            > I am trying to figure out why it won't work at 54M. I am using x86 to
                            > work on the code. So far I don't have any ideas about what it wrong
                            > with it. Best I am able to get on Linux is 24M, if I boot Windows on
                            > same hardware I can get 54M.

                            Jon,

                            How fast is your x86 machine? I am wondering if this is related to the speed at
                            all, that is in linux it is just hitting the performance limit? That would be the case
                            only if you are using a very slow x86, and the linux driver is much less efficient
                            than the win driver. Most likely it will be something else.

                            Cordially, Chacko
                          • Jon Smirl
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                              On 12/31/06, CN <t4chacko@...> wrote:
                              > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:19:15 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
                              >
                              > > I am trying to figure out why it won't work at 54M. I am using x86 to
                              > > work on the code. So far I don't have any ideas about what it wrong
                              > > with it. Best I am able to get on Linux is 24M, if I boot Windows on
                              > > same hardware I can get 54M.
                              >
                              > Jon,
                              >
                              > How fast is your x86 machine? I am wondering if this is related to the speed at
                              > all, that is in linux it is just hitting the performance limit? That would be the case
                              > only if you are using a very slow x86, and the linux driver is much less efficient
                              > than the win driver. Most likely it will be something else.

                              Machine is 2.8Ghz. It is not a CPU problem, the driver is only using a
                              few percent of the CPU when I do test copies. It looks like it is
                              failing to negotiate the higher data rates for some unknown reason. I
                              have the dongle 12 inches from the access point so it is getting a
                              great signal. I'm in the process of adding a bunch of printk's to help
                              figure out what is going on.

                              --
                              Jon Smirl
                              jonsmirl@...
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
                                On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:16:01 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:

                                > have the dongle 12 inches from the access point so it is getting a
                                > great signal.

                                You may want to try it a little farther too. I have also seen problems with
                                overloaded radio rcvrs; but since your win version is working most likely that is
                                not the problem here... Good luck to you. I am looking forward to using it with
                                SlugOS/BE soon :)

                                Cordially, Chacko
                              • M. Vamvakaris
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
                                  Hi to all,

                                  i am interested in that ZD1211 driver. Can i run it in Fedora 6?
                                  As of speeds i dont think the Slug can achive more than 11Mbps as it has USB 1.1 ports so maybe you can make tries to make it more stable and not faster.

                                  Happy New Year,

                                  Mike

                                  --
                                  Jon Smirl