Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: ntop

  • Brian Wood
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2006
      On Dec 30, 2006, at 6:16 AM, Max Waterman wrote:

      > I think so. It can be very illumination ;)

      Remember, though, that it can only see what the slug's ethernet port
      sees. If you're using hubs you're OK, but most folks use switches
      these days. A good quality managed switch will usually allow you to
      set a port to get all traffic for monitoring purposes but a cheap
      consumer-type unit will only send packets destined for the slug, plus
      broadcast, multicast, netbios and other things that go everywhere.

      > I don't suppose you'd be so kind as to point me in the direction of
      > some
      > guide for moving my slug to debian? I suppose it's not completely
      > straightforward since I already have openslug on it?

      Sure, look at (as Gordon said):

      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

      I had openslug on this unit and I just re-flashed it with the debian
      installer. Martin did his usual great job in getting the installer
      set up.

      > I have a few laptop hard drive lying around, so I could get a USB
      > enclosure and put one in. Any advice on this? I particularly wonder
      > what
      > sort of power the slug can provide - I was hoping to have the drive
      > powered by the USB port, but they can be a bit pathetic, in my
      > experience.

      I have a mail server running on a slug with openslug with a 10GB
      laptop drive in a $10 case powered by the slug. It has over a year of
      uptime on it with no problems at all. I'd stay away from the 7200 RPM
      drives due to power consumption, and you're not going to get any
      benefit from the speed anyway. Other than that I think just about any
      case should work as long as you're not trying to do spindown or the
      like.

      I have read (perhaps here?) of some Chinese PATA-to-USB chipsets that
      have problems with Linux drivers

      My debian machine is using a 4GB "Monstor" drive from USModular. A
      tiny microdrive and USB interface all in one package. Slow but seems
      reliable. But if you already have the drive a case would be the way
      to go.