Re: [nslu2-linux] is it possible to

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2006
      On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 22:51 +0000, feralcat44g wrote:
      > Is it possible to make a webserver that uses php scripts that work on
      > an Unslung NSLU2 device that has been made to run at it's fullest?

      What do you really mean?

      It is possible to run "php" on unslung but you can't run cpu or
      memory intensive websites on the slug.

      There is more than one way to do it but i don't know the details.
      - You can choose between different webservers
      - Run php-fcgi

      Have a look at:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/ComparingWebServers

      > I've tried several times to get a webserver on mine but it never
      > worked out. I want to be able to have and make websites and be able to
      > access them even from outside my LAN. My NSLU2 ip address is static at
      > 192.168.1.115 I'm have a huge amount of problems and I don't have any
      > current books dealing in linux.

      There are 3 problems:
      1) Get the website running
      2) Get php running
      3) Get the webserver vissable from the outside.

      Please try to solve them in this order although you have to choose
      your webserver in step one so that you can integrate php.

      For step 3 you need to have a public ip address. Probably you have
      a home router with an external public ip address. You have to configure
      this router to sent the request for webpages to your slug.

      > The copy of Linux for dummies that I have came with a disc that has
      > mandrake or was it redhat but I know it's version is 5.2 which means
      > it's far older than what's currently out there.

      The setup of unslung is somewhat different from any normal
      distributions. You will have some problems if you just copy
      a setup from a normal book.

      --
      marceln