Re: [nslu2-linux] slugos/be and wireless ZD1211 device

  • Øyvind Repvik
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29 1:59 AM
      CN wrote:
      > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 09:12:09 +0100, Øyvind Repvik wrote:
      >
      >> CN wrote:
      >>> Topic changed to slugos/be... was unlung...

      >>> that
      >>> Mike, has the problem been fixed on slugbos/be, which has the 2.6 kernel? What
      >>> is the status of this driver?
      >>>
      >>> Cordially, Chacko
      >>>
      >> OpenSlug 3.10 uses the latest driver available from http://zd1211.ath.cx/
      >> If you're having problems using 3.10, I suggest contacting the
      >> mailinglist there.
      >>
      >> If you're using head, that's a different matter. HEAD is not expected to
      >> work all the time, and instability is a common state. HEAD will be using
      >> the in-kernel zd1211rw driver, provided it works LE and BE (which it
      >> AFAIK does not right now)
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >> Øyvind Repvik
      >
      > Hi Øyvind,
      >
      > It is not that I have seen a problem with this driver. Mike (mwester) had seen some
      > problem related to the kernel version, and had mentioned a while back that he might try
      > to fix it in the driver. So, until Mike thinks the problem has been solved I probably will
      > not even try this, since I have no experience in this area.

      The driver in 3.10-beta hasn't changed for about half a year. This is
      unlikely to change since the focus for the zd1211-developers has changed
      towards the zd1211rw driver that is included in the vanilla linux kernel
      (which IIRC is built in HEAD). AFAIK, this driver still has issues on
      BE, has no automatic rate setting, and some (apparently minor) problems.
      This is expected to change, but I wouldn't expect a stable, feature-full
      driver until 2.6.21 or thereabouts. So give it a few months ;-)

      Øyvind