Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: WD MyBook Essential Spin down

  • Ricardo Silva
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
      Hi all,

      I have a MyBook 250GB which I use as a secondary drive (actually it's
      formatted as NTFS) and it spins down after a few minutes wherever I have
      it connected, either in my Mac, PC or NSLU. And it also turn itself off
      neatly with the NSLU. So, I would guess the problem is really on the
      NSLU firmware / OS side.

      Regards,
      Ricardo

      anguel_stankov wrote:

      > Hi chandersawh!
      >
      > I have the same MyBook 500GB drive and was not able to make it spin
      > down :( I also reverted to original Linksys firmware to make sure that
      > Unslung does not read from or write to disk too often. Still no
      > success - it spins and spins...
      >
      > Another question: Did you notice the NSLU2 boot problem I reported here:
      >
      > There must be a solution to be able to use this nice WD drive with the
      > NSL2.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Anguel
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:nslu2-linux%40yahoogroups.com>, "chandersawh" <chandersawh@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I know this topic has been covered a lot. Please forgive me.
      > >
      > > I have the 500GB version of this drive connected to port 2 on my
      > > Unslung 6.8 beta. This is the drive I unsligned to.
      > >
      > > It will not spin down. I even tried moving the /dev /var the ramfs
      > > with no success as suggested by
      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
      > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks> using the
      > > rc.bootbin script.
      > >
      > > Any help would be appreciated.

    • chandersawh
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
        My MyBook 500GB edition turns it self off IF the SLUG is turned off.
        Meaning if I hit the power button the slug the WD drive turns it self
        off. I just CANNOT get it to spin down while the slug is up and running.

        I assume that the green light in the front will dim if the drive spins
        down, right?

        Anguel, I have NOT noticed that problem yet. If I will contact you via
        the thread.

        Thanks -- let's resolve this.

        +chander

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Silva <ricardo.silva@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have a MyBook 250GB which I use as a secondary drive (actually it's
        > formatted as NTFS) and it spins down after a few minutes wherever I
        have
        > it connected, either in my Mac, PC or NSLU. And it also turn itself off
        > neatly with the NSLU. So, I would guess the problem is really on the
        > NSLU firmware / OS side.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ricardo
        >

        > anguel_stankov wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi chandersawh!
        > >
        > > I have the same MyBook 500GB drive and was not able to make it spin
        > > down :( I also reverted to original Linksys firmware to make sure that
        > > Unslung does not read from or write to disk too often. Still no
        > > success - it spins and spins...
        > >
        > > Another question: Did you notice the NSLU2 boot problem I reported
        here:

        > > There must be a solution to be able to use this nice WD drive with the
        > > NSL2.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Anguel
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:nslu2-linux%40yahoogroups.com>, "chandersawh" <chandersawh@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > I know this topic has been covered a lot. Please forgive me.
        > > >
        > > > I have the 500GB version of this drive connected to port 2 on my
        > > > Unslung 6.8 beta. This is the drive I unsligned to.
        > > >
        > > > It will not spin down. I even tried moving the /dev /var the ramfs
        > > > with no success as suggested by
        > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
        > > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks> using the
        > > > rc.bootbin script.
        > > >
        > > > Any help would be appreciated.

      • Cheng Feng
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
          My 320GB book will spin down. I don't see the dim of
          the green light. (but I can hear/feel the spinning)
          The power save is about 6-8 watt.

          I can only suggest:

          1) Double check if your /var and /dev are on the
          ramdisk.
          # cd /var
          # df ./
          2) Do you have anything in the /etc/crontab to access
          disk? see the timestamp in the /var/log/messages
          # less /var/log/messages

          al

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
            > I assume that the green light in the front will dim if the drive spins
            > down, right?

            No, it doesn't dim, at least I haven't noticed it, if it does it's very,
            very slightly. I just know it spins down because from inaudible it goes
            to completely silent (great drives, these). And also, when I access the
            corresponding share later on I clearly hear it spin up.

            Ricardo Silva
          • chandersawh
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 8, 2006
              Interesting I though the green light would go really dim or completely
              shutoff if the drive spins down.

              As suggested I did:

              1) Double check if your /var and /dev are on the
              > ramdisk.
              > # cd /var
              > # df ./

              I got:
              Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

              Also my mounts are as follows:

              /dev/sda1 on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
              /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
              /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
              usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
              /dev/sda1 on /dev.state type ext3 (rw,noatime)
              ramfs on /dev type ramfs (rw)
              /dev/sda1 on /var.state type ext3 (rw,noatime)
              ramfs on /var type ramfs (rw)
              /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw,noatime)
              /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,noatime)

              Does this look ok?

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Cheng Feng <alfeng@...> wrote:

              > My 320GB book will spin down. I don't see the dim of
              > the green light. (but I can hear/feel the spinning)
              > The power save is about 6-8 watt.
              >
              > I can only suggest:
              >
              > 1) Double check if your /var and /dev are on the
              > ramdisk.
              > # cd /var
              > # df ./
              > 2) Do you have anything in the /etc/crontab to access
              > disk? see the timestamp in the /var/log/messages
              > # less /var/log/messages
              >
              > al
              >
              > --- chandersawh <chandersawh@...> wrote:
              >
              > > My MyBook 500GB edition turns it self off IF the
              > > SLUG is turned off.
              > > Meaning if I hit the power button the slug the WD
              > > drive turns it self
              > > off. I just CANNOT get it to spin down while the
              > > slug is up and running.
              > >
              > > I assume that the green light in the front will dim
              > > if the drive spins
              > > down, right?
              > >
              > > Anguel, I have NOT noticed that problem yet. If I
              > > will contact you via
              > > the thread.
              > >
              > > Thanks -- let's resolve this.
              > >
              > > +chander
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Silva
              > > <ricardo.silva@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi all,
              > > >
              > > > I have a MyBook 250GB which I use as a secondary
              > > drive (actually it's
              > > > formatted as NTFS) and it spins down after a few
              > > minutes wherever I
              > > have
              > > > it connected, either in my Mac, PC or NSLU. And it
              > > also turn itself off
              > > > neatly with the NSLU. So, I would guess the
              > > problem is really on the
              > > > NSLU firmware / OS side.
              > > >
              > > > Regards,
              > > > Ricardo

              > > able to make it spin
              > > firmware to make sure that
              > > often. Still no

              > > problem I reported
              > > here:

              > > nice WD drive with the

              > > "chandersawh" <chandersawh@>

              > > Please forgive me.

              > > connected to port 2 on my
              > > unsligned to.

              > > the /dev /var the ramfs
              > > > > >

              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
              > >

              > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks>
              > > using the

              > Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know.
              > Ask your question on www.Answers.yahoo.com

            • anguel_stankov
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "chandersawh" <chandersawh@...> wrote:

                > Interesting I though the green light would go really dim or completely
                > shutoff if the drive spins down.

                Hi chandersawh!

                I have played around once again with the NSLU and the WD MyBook
                Essential 500GB. I also found the following thread in the
                nslu2-general newsgroup:

                So I swiched back to Unslung 5.5 to test if I can make my drive
                spin-down at all on the NSLU. I confirm that spindown definitely works
                with the MyBook 500GB and Unslung 5.5. I had to install both scripts
                (rc.bootbin and rc.local) from
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch
                but it works.

                So at this point spindown seems to work with Unslung 5.5 but as far as
                I see it does not work with Unslung 6.8 and it does not work with the
                latest original Linksys firmware, although I tried the scripts
                mentioned above.

                BTW: When the WD MyBook 500Gb spins down it becomes completely silent
                but the green light is still on - that's some kind of indicator that
                the drive is still connected to power.

                I hope there will be some solution for Unslung 6.8 soon.

                Regards,
                Anguel
              • anguel_stankov
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 10, 2007
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "anguel_stankov" <zer0flag@...> wrote:
                  > So I swiched back to Unslung 5.5 to test if I can make my drive
                  > spin-down at all on the NSLU. I confirm that spindown definitely works
                  > with the MyBook 500GB and Unslung 5.5. I had to install both scripts
                  > (rc.bootbin and rc.local) from
                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch
                  > but it works.

                  Update: Using Unslung 5.5 the drive spins down *without* any
                  additional scripts after some time. I have not installed any
                  additional packages.

                  Anguel