WD MyBook Essential Spin down

  • chandersawh
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006

      I know this topic has been covered a lot. Please forgive me.

      I have the 500GB version of this drive connected to port 2 on my
      Unslung 6.8 beta. This is the drive I unsligned to.

      It will not spin down. I even tried moving the /dev /var the ramfs
      with no success as suggested by
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks using the
      rc.bootbin script.

      Any help would be appreciated.
    • hallerharry73
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006

        there are two points to consider. Firstly the HD and its enclosure
        must be able to spin down and secondly the Kernel must also support
        it.
        I have a IB-351UE with Agere Chip that can be set to spin down mode
        with sdparm --command=stop /dev/sda on a machine running kernel
        2.6.x (SUSE 10.0). But if I connect it to the NSLU2 with Unslung 6.8
        and sdparm package 0.99-1 installed it refuses to spinn down. There
        is no error message when an sdparm command is issued, it is silently
        ignored. So I guess the Unslung Kernel (2.4.22) or the driver does
        not support it.

        Regards and 73
        HH

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "chandersawh" <chandersawh@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I know this topic has been covered a lot. Please forgive me.
        >
        > I have the 500GB version of this drive connected to port 2 on my
        > Unslung 6.8 beta. This is the drive I unsligned to.
        >
        > It will not spin down. I even tried moving the /dev /var the ramfs
        > with no success as suggested by
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks using the
        > rc.bootbin script.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.

      • anguel_stankov
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
          Hi chandersawh!

          I have the same MyBook 500GB drive and was not able to make it spin
          down :( I also reverted to original Linksys firmware to make sure that
          Unslung does not read from or write to disk too often. Still no
          success - it spins and spins...

          Another question: Did you notice the NSLU2 boot problem I reported here:

          There must be a solution to be able to use this nice WD drive with the
          NSL2.

          Regards,
          Anguel

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "chandersawh" <chandersawh@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I know this topic has been covered a lot. Please forgive me.
          >
          > I have the 500GB version of this drive connected to port 2 on my
          > Unslung 6.8 beta. This is the drive I unsligned to.
          >
          > It will not spin down. I even tried moving the /dev /var the ramfs
          > with no success as suggested by
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks using the
          > rc.bootbin script.
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.

        • Ricardo Silva
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
            Hi all,

            I have a MyBook 250GB which I use as a secondary drive (actually it's
            formatted as NTFS) and it spins down after a few minutes wherever I have
            it connected, either in my Mac, PC or NSLU. And it also turn itself off
            neatly with the NSLU. So, I would guess the problem is really on the
            NSLU firmware / OS side.

            Regards,
            Ricardo

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
              My MyBook 500GB edition turns it self off IF the SLUG is turned off.
              Meaning if I hit the power button the slug the WD drive turns it self
              off. I just CANNOT get it to spin down while the slug is up and running.

              I assume that the green light in the front will dim if the drive spins
              down, right?

              Anguel, I have NOT noticed that problem yet. If I will contact you via
              the thread.

              Thanks -- let's resolve this.

              +chander

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Silva <ricardo.silva@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I have a MyBook 250GB which I use as a secondary drive (actually it's
              > formatted as NTFS) and it spins down after a few minutes wherever I
              have
              > it connected, either in my Mac, PC or NSLU. And it also turn itself off
              > neatly with the NSLU. So, I would guess the problem is really on the
              > NSLU firmware / OS side.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Ricardo
              >

              > anguel_stankov wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi chandersawh!
              > >
              > > I have the same MyBook 500GB drive and was not able to make it spin
              > > down :( I also reverted to original Linksys firmware to make sure that
              > > Unslung does not read from or write to disk too often. Still no
              > > success - it spins and spins...
              > >
              > > Another question: Did you notice the NSLU2 boot problem I reported
              here:

              > > There must be a solution to be able to use this nice WD drive with the
              > > NSL2.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Anguel
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:nslu2-linux%40yahoogroups.com>, "chandersawh" <chandersawh@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I know this topic has been covered a lot. Please forgive me.
              > > >
              > > > I have the 500GB version of this drive connected to port 2 on my
              > > > Unslung 6.8 beta. This is the drive I unsligned to.
              > > >
              > > > It will not spin down. I even tried moving the /dev /var the ramfs
              > > > with no success as suggested by
              > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
              > > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks> using the
              > > > rc.bootbin script.
              > > >
              > > > Any help would be appreciated.

            • Cheng Feng
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
                My 320GB book will spin down. I don't see the dim of
                the green light. (but I can hear/feel the spinning)
                The power save is about 6-8 watt.

                I can only suggest:

                1) Double check if your /var and /dev are on the
                ramdisk.
                # cd /var
                # df ./
                2) Do you have anything in the /etc/crontab to access
                disk? see the timestamp in the /var/log/messages
                # less /var/log/messages

                al

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
                  > I assume that the green light in the front will dim if the drive spins
                  > down, right?

                  No, it doesn't dim, at least I haven't noticed it, if it does it's very,
                  very slightly. I just know it spins down because from inaudible it goes
                  to completely silent (great drives, these). And also, when I access the
                  corresponding share later on I clearly hear it spin up.

                  Ricardo Silva
                • chandersawh
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 8, 2006
                    Interesting I though the green light would go really dim or completely
                    shutoff if the drive spins down.

                    As suggested I did:

                    1) Double check if your /var and /dev are on the
                    > ramdisk.
                    > # cd /var
                    > # df ./

                    I got:
                    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

                    Also my mounts are as follows:

                    /dev/sda1 on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
                    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
                    /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
                    usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
                    /dev/sda1 on /dev.state type ext3 (rw,noatime)
                    ramfs on /dev type ramfs (rw)
                    /dev/sda1 on /var.state type ext3 (rw,noatime)
                    ramfs on /var type ramfs (rw)
                    /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw,noatime)
                    /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,noatime)

                    Does this look ok?

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Cheng Feng <alfeng@...> wrote:

                    > My 320GB book will spin down. I don't see the dim of
                    > the green light. (but I can hear/feel the spinning)
                    > The power save is about 6-8 watt.
                    >
                    > I can only suggest:
                    >
                    > 1) Double check if your /var and /dev are on the
                    > ramdisk.
                    > # cd /var
                    > # df ./
                    > 2) Do you have anything in the /etc/crontab to access
                    > disk? see the timestamp in the /var/log/messages
                    > # less /var/log/messages
                    >
                    > al
                    >
                    > --- chandersawh <chandersawh@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > My MyBook 500GB edition turns it self off IF the
                    > > SLUG is turned off.
                    > > Meaning if I hit the power button the slug the WD
                    > > drive turns it self
                    > > off. I just CANNOT get it to spin down while the
                    > > slug is up and running.
                    > >
                    > > I assume that the green light in the front will dim
                    > > if the drive spins
                    > > down, right?
                    > >
                    > > Anguel, I have NOT noticed that problem yet. If I
                    > > will contact you via
                    > > the thread.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks -- let's resolve this.
                    > >
                    > > +chander
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Silva
                    > > <ricardo.silva@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi all,
                    > > >
                    > > > I have a MyBook 250GB which I use as a secondary
                    > > drive (actually it's
                    > > > formatted as NTFS) and it spins down after a few
                    > > minutes wherever I
                    > > have
                    > > > it connected, either in my Mac, PC or NSLU. And it
                    > > also turn itself off
                    > > > neatly with the NSLU. So, I would guess the
                    > > problem is really on the
                    > > > NSLU firmware / OS side.
                    > > >
                    > > > Regards,
                    > > > Ricardo

                    > > able to make it spin
                    > > firmware to make sure that
                    > > often. Still no

                    > > problem I reported
                    > > here:

                    > > nice WD drive with the

                    > > "chandersawh" <chandersawh@>

                    > > Please forgive me.

                    > > connected to port 2 on my
                    > > unsligned to.

                    > > the /dev /var the ramfs
                    > > > > >

                    > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
                    > >

                    > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks>
                    > > using the

                    > Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know.
                    > Ask your question on www.Answers.yahoo.com

                  • anguel_stankov
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "chandersawh" <chandersawh@...> wrote:

                      > Interesting I though the green light would go really dim or completely
                      > shutoff if the drive spins down.

                      Hi chandersawh!

                      I have played around once again with the NSLU and the WD MyBook
                      Essential 500GB. I also found the following thread in the
                      nslu2-general newsgroup:

                      So I swiched back to Unslung 5.5 to test if I can make my drive
                      spin-down at all on the NSLU. I confirm that spindown definitely works
                      with the MyBook 500GB and Unslung 5.5. I had to install both scripts
                      (rc.bootbin and rc.local) from
                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch
                      but it works.

                      So at this point spindown seems to work with Unslung 5.5 but as far as
                      I see it does not work with Unslung 6.8 and it does not work with the
                      latest original Linksys firmware, although I tried the scripts
                      mentioned above.

                      BTW: When the WD MyBook 500Gb spins down it becomes completely silent
                      but the green light is still on - that's some kind of indicator that
                      the drive is still connected to power.

                      I hope there will be some solution for Unslung 6.8 soon.

                      Regards,
                      Anguel
                    • anguel_stankov
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 10, 2007
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "anguel_stankov" <zer0flag@...> wrote:
                        > So I swiched back to Unslung 5.5 to test if I can make my drive
                        > spin-down at all on the NSLU. I confirm that spindown definitely works
                        > with the MyBook 500GB and Unslung 5.5. I had to install both scripts
                        > (rc.bootbin and rc.local) from
                        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch
                        > but it works.

                        Update: Using Unslung 5.5 the drive spins down *without* any
                        additional scripts after some time. I have not installed any
                        additional packages.

                        Anguel