[Debian] Manage processes priorities ?

  • rasavibes
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      Hi all,

      I have my slug running Debian, everything is fine...but here is my
      problem.

      I have NFS server and vsftpd server running. I like to stream movies
      and usually it works fine. Unless I use the FTP at the same time which
      starts making the movie play with some lag in it.

      Basically, I think that it is because vsftpd will consume to much cpu...
      So I think a way to solve the problem would be to manage process
      priorities...like setting vsftpd with a lower priority than other process.

      I read about the nice command...but i would like to do that in a more
      permanent way.

      If someone has an idea on how to manage priorities or to solve the
      whole problem...you are most welcomed.

      Thanks for your attention
    • Patrick Schneider
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006

        rasavibes schrieb:
        > I read about the nice command...but i would like to do that in a more
        > permanent way.
        One idea would be changing the /etc/init.d/vsftpd script. The
        start-stop-daemon utility supports setting the nice-level:
        -N|--nicelevel <incr> add incr to the process's nice level

        See
        man start-stop-daemon

        Regards,
        Patrick

      • rasavibes
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Schneider
          <patrick.schneider1980@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >

          > rasavibes schrieb:
          > > I read about the nice command...but i would like to do that in a more
          > > permanent way.
          > One idea would be changing the /etc/init.d/vsftpd script. The
          > start-stop-daemon utility supports setting the nice-level:
          > -N|--nicelevel <incr> add incr to the process's nice level
          >
          > See
          > man start-stop-daemon
          perfect.
          many thanks.