Re: How to access the slug -using openssh-from outside the network

  • martienl
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
      Smashing, it works guys! Port forwarding does it the trick.

      I'm now very happy with the Slug, smashing product, strange only that
      Linksys does not offer openssh from the start.

      Martien

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

      > On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:01 AM, martienl wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I'm struggling a with access to my slug from over the internet. The
      > > firmware option allows me to access the slug using (unsafe) FTP;
      > > further, as FTP ignores the seconds of file time-stamps this option is
      > > not ideal for back-ups.
      > >
      > > Therefore I did the unslung this morning and installed openssh. I can
      > > now transfer files to/from my slug safely, that is, only calling
      > > 192.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses, e.g. only from within my network.
      > >
      > > Using Dynamic DNS, I can call up my Slug's web-interface from
      > > anywhere, same for FTP access if I enable FTP access.
      > >
      > > However, the thing that I really want is safe and reliable access over
      > > the web using Openssh.
      > >
      > > I opened up port 22 on my broadband router, and I set Gateway, Network
      > > mask, DNS server, and IP address, I think, correctly, that is: ipkg
      > > works, and the Slug web interface works fine over dynamic DNS.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions?
      >
      > Are you telling your router to send incoming port 22 traffic to the
      > slug? This might be called "port forwarding" or something else,
      > depending on the make of your router.
      >
      > Just "opening" the port won't do it, you have to tell it what machine
      > to route that traffic to.
      >
      > Sounds like port 80 traffic is getting routed properly, or the web
      > interface wouldn't work, you need to make sure port 22 is getting
      > there as well.

    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
        On Dec 3, 2006, at 4:28 AM, martienl wrote:

        > Smashing, it works guys! Port forwarding does it the trick.
        >
        > I'm now very happy with the Slug, smashing product, strange only that
        > Linksys does not offer openssh from the start.

        Well they don't offer telnet either, just the web interface.

        Not really surprising, it's a consumer product and few consumers know
        anything about the command line or would want to use it if they did.

        If they had consumers trying to configure samba from a CLI I'd guess
        their support lines would be *very* busy :-)
      • Brian Wood
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
          On Dec 3, 2006, at 4:28 AM, martienl wrote:

          > Smashing, it works guys! Port forwarding does it the trick.
          >
          > I'm now very happy with the Slug, smashing product, strange only that
          > Linksys does not offer openssh from the start.

          Also: Be aware that your slug is now open to the world. Although SSH
          is a lot more secure than telnet it is not perfect, especially if you
          are using password authentication and not requiring key exchange.

          Even the web interface is a potential security risk. Things such as
          buffer overflow attacks could get the intruder to a prompt.

          From the slug an intruder could conceivably get to any machine on
          your network. I would not, for example, store any plans for World
          Domination anywhere on your network :-))

          Nothing is totally secure once you have connected to the outside world.
        • macnet83
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2008
            Hi guys

            With this information I managed to access the NSLU2 over the Internet.
            Thanks a lot!

            I'd like to know in which folder my files are stored. I see the usual
            directory tree of a Linux system but don't know where my files are
            stored.(files transfered to the Slug on Windows)

            I have a pen drive attached to port2.

            When I attach another drive to port1 how will I access those files too?

            Thank you very much.

            Best Regards
            Jorge
          • John
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 15, 2008
              On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 05:25:30PM -0000, macnet83 wrote:
              > I'd like to know in which folder my files are stored. I see the usual
              > directory tree of a Linux system but don't know where my files are
              > stored.(files transfered to the Slug on Windows)

              You could check the samba configuration to find out. Or, if you
              know the name of any one of those files, you could use a handy
              brute force method. From a shell on the slug, type:

              find / -name fullname.ext

              After a few moments (this searches the entire disk), it will tell
              you where every file with that name resides on your disk. If you
              don't know the case of your file name and the 'find' on your slug
              supports it, you can try:

              find / -iname fullname.ext

              The '-iname' option specifies a case-insensitive search. 'Find'
              has a lot of features (read the docs) and should be your first
              resource for lost files.

              On a fully configured system, you can find files faster with the
              'locate' command. Unfortunately, some slug distributions come with
              buggy versions of updatedb/locate.

              Regards,

              John