Re: Debian installer fails when ext3-formatting root partition

  • robbutlerast
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
      > Many problems have seen this problem with a 1 GB stick. It's because
      > in this case the installer creates a swap partition that is too small.
      >
      > I've just added the following to my web page:

      Using a 2 Gb usb flash drive I've tried with a swap partition of 130mb
      and the rest used for the main partition - same thing happens - stops
      midway through partitioning. Hangs when you relog into ssh 50% through
      the "starting up the partitioner" screen.

      I've used the same settings for each partition that the auto
      partitioner uses - apart from I've changed the actual size of each
      partition. I end up wiping the partitions in windows and starting
      again.

      Is there an easy way to get debian installed on my 2gb flash drive, or
      am I better off trying a different firmware?

      Any thoughts appreciated.
    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
        >> Many problems have seen this problem with a 1 GB stick. It's because
        >> in this case the installer creates a swap partition that is too small.
        >
        > Using a 2 Gb usb flash drive I've tried with a swap partition of 130mb
        > and the rest used for the main partition - same thing happens - stops
        > midway through partitioning. Hangs when you relog into ssh 50% through
        > the "starting up the partitioner" screen.

        128 MBytes of swap worked for me on my second installation. Maybe you
        are doing something else differently? Did you load only the five
        listed installer modules?

        A serial cable can be very helpful in tracking down this sort of
        problem, as kernel messages like "out of memory" are sent there.

        Your quickest solution may be to partition and format the drive on a
        Linux PC.

        If I have time I may have a look at the mke3fs code and see if I can
        work out why it needs so much memory. It feels like a memory leak to me.

        Phil.
      • robbutlerast
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
          > Your quickest solution may be to partition and format the drive on a
          > Linux PC.
          >
          > If I have time I may have a look at the mke3fs code and see if I can
          > work out why it needs so much memory. It feels like a memory leak
          to me.

          > Phil.

          As previous posters have said it seems to be the formatting that trips
          things up. The partitions are visible in windows - so I could take it
          to work and format it on my linux box I guess if all else fails.