Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

How to access the slug -using openssh-from outside the network

Expand Messages
  • martienl
    Hi, I m struggling a with access to my slug from over the internet. The firmware option allows me to access the slug using (unsafe) FTP; further, as FTP
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi,

      I'm struggling a with access to my slug from over the internet. The
      firmware option allows me to access the slug using (unsafe) FTP;
      further, as FTP ignores the seconds of file time-stamps this option is
      not ideal for back-ups.

      Therefore I did the unslung this morning and installed openssh. I can
      now transfer files to/from my slug safely, that is, only calling
      192.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses, e.g. only from within my network.

      Using Dynamic DNS, I can call up my Slug's web-interface from
      anywhere, same for FTP access if I enable FTP access.

      However, the thing that I really want is safe and reliable access over
      the web using Openssh.

      I opened up port 22 on my broadband router, and I set Gateway, Network
      mask, DNS server, and IP address, I think, correctly, that is: ipkg
      works, and the Slug web interface works fine over dynamic DNS.

      Any suggestions?
    • oabroad
      ... I ve tried openssh on unslung and it definitely did work from outside my network. I only had to set port forwarding on my router. Some routers have odd
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "martienl" <blucap@...> wrote:

        > However, the thing that I really want is safe and reliable access over
        > the web using Openssh.
        >
        > I opened up port 22 on my broadband router, and I set Gateway, Network
        > mask, DNS server, and IP address, I think, correctly, that is: ipkg
        > works, and the Slug web interface works fine over dynamic DNS.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        I've tried openssh on unslung and it definitely did work from outside
        my network. I only had to set port forwarding on my router.

        Some routers have odd firewall rules. Mine has good inherent security
        but has an optional firewall that blocks almost everything except web
        browsing.

        Also some ISPs screw up services on uncommon ports. It's probably
        worth running a grc.com "shieldsup" scan to see if the port is
        recognised. Alternatively try forwarding port 8080 or 80 on the router
        to port 22 on the slug so it looks like HTTP service.
      • Brian Wood
        ... Are you telling your router to send incoming port 22 traffic to the slug? This might be called port forwarding or something else, depending on the make
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:01 AM, martienl wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm struggling a with access to my slug from over the internet. The
          > firmware option allows me to access the slug using (unsafe) FTP;
          > further, as FTP ignores the seconds of file time-stamps this option is
          > not ideal for back-ups.
          >
          > Therefore I did the unslung this morning and installed openssh. I can
          > now transfer files to/from my slug safely, that is, only calling
          > 192.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses, e.g. only from within my network.
          >
          > Using Dynamic DNS, I can call up my Slug's web-interface from
          > anywhere, same for FTP access if I enable FTP access.
          >
          > However, the thing that I really want is safe and reliable access over
          > the web using Openssh.
          >
          > I opened up port 22 on my broadband router, and I set Gateway, Network
          > mask, DNS server, and IP address, I think, correctly, that is: ipkg
          > works, and the Slug web interface works fine over dynamic DNS.
          >
          > Any suggestions?

          Are you telling your router to send incoming port 22 traffic to the
          slug? This might be called "port forwarding" or something else,
          depending on the make of your router.

          Just "opening" the port won't do it, you have to tell it what machine
          to route that traffic to.

          Sounds like port 80 traffic is getting routed properly, or the web
          interface wouldn't work, you need to make sure port 22 is getting
          there as well.
        • martienl
          Smashing, it works guys! Port forwarding does it the trick. I m now very happy with the Slug, smashing product, strange only that Linksys does not offer
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Smashing, it works guys! Port forwarding does it the trick.

            I'm now very happy with the Slug, smashing product, strange only that
            Linksys does not offer openssh from the start.

            Martien

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:
            >
            >
            > On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:01 AM, martienl wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm struggling a with access to my slug from over the internet. The
            > > firmware option allows me to access the slug using (unsafe) FTP;
            > > further, as FTP ignores the seconds of file time-stamps this option is
            > > not ideal for back-ups.
            > >
            > > Therefore I did the unslung this morning and installed openssh. I can
            > > now transfer files to/from my slug safely, that is, only calling
            > > 192.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses, e.g. only from within my network.
            > >
            > > Using Dynamic DNS, I can call up my Slug's web-interface from
            > > anywhere, same for FTP access if I enable FTP access.
            > >
            > > However, the thing that I really want is safe and reliable access over
            > > the web using Openssh.
            > >
            > > I opened up port 22 on my broadband router, and I set Gateway, Network
            > > mask, DNS server, and IP address, I think, correctly, that is: ipkg
            > > works, and the Slug web interface works fine over dynamic DNS.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Are you telling your router to send incoming port 22 traffic to the
            > slug? This might be called "port forwarding" or something else,
            > depending on the make of your router.
            >
            > Just "opening" the port won't do it, you have to tell it what machine
            > to route that traffic to.
            >
            > Sounds like port 80 traffic is getting routed properly, or the web
            > interface wouldn't work, you need to make sure port 22 is getting
            > there as well.
            >
          • Brian Wood
            ... Well they don t offer telnet either, just the web interface. Not really surprising, it s a consumer product and few consumers know anything about the
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              On Dec 3, 2006, at 4:28 AM, martienl wrote:

              > Smashing, it works guys! Port forwarding does it the trick.
              >
              > I'm now very happy with the Slug, smashing product, strange only that
              > Linksys does not offer openssh from the start.

              Well they don't offer telnet either, just the web interface.

              Not really surprising, it's a consumer product and few consumers know
              anything about the command line or would want to use it if they did.

              If they had consumers trying to configure samba from a CLI I'd guess
              their support lines would be *very* busy :-)
            • Brian Wood
              ... Also: Be aware that your slug is now open to the world. Although SSH is a lot more secure than telnet it is not perfect, especially if you are using
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                On Dec 3, 2006, at 4:28 AM, martienl wrote:

                > Smashing, it works guys! Port forwarding does it the trick.
                >
                > I'm now very happy with the Slug, smashing product, strange only that
                > Linksys does not offer openssh from the start.
                >


                Also: Be aware that your slug is now open to the world. Although SSH
                is a lot more secure than telnet it is not perfect, especially if you
                are using password authentication and not requiring key exchange.

                Even the web interface is a potential security risk. Things such as
                buffer overflow attacks could get the intruder to a prompt.

                From the slug an intruder could conceivably get to any machine on
                your network. I would not, for example, store any plans for World
                Domination anywhere on your network :-))

                Nothing is totally secure once you have connected to the outside world.
              • macnet83
                Hi guys With this information I managed to access the NSLU2 over the Internet. Thanks a lot! I d like to know in which folder my files are stored. I see the
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hi guys

                  With this information I managed to access the NSLU2 over the Internet.
                  Thanks a lot!

                  I'd like to know in which folder my files are stored. I see the usual
                  directory tree of a Linux system but don't know where my files are
                  stored.(files transfered to the Slug on Windows)

                  I have a pen drive attached to port2.

                  When I attach another drive to port1 how will I access those files too?

                  Thank you very much.

                  Best Regards
                  Jorge
                • John
                  ... You could check the samba configuration to find out. Or, if you know the name of any one of those files, you could use a handy brute force method. From a
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 15, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 05:25:30PM -0000, macnet83 wrote:
                    > I'd like to know in which folder my files are stored. I see the usual
                    > directory tree of a Linux system but don't know where my files are
                    > stored.(files transfered to the Slug on Windows)

                    You could check the samba configuration to find out. Or, if you
                    know the name of any one of those files, you could use a handy
                    brute force method. From a shell on the slug, type:

                    find / -name fullname.ext

                    After a few moments (this searches the entire disk), it will tell
                    you where every file with that name resides on your disk. If you
                    don't know the case of your file name and the 'find' on your slug
                    supports it, you can try:

                    find / -iname fullname.ext

                    The '-iname' option specifies a case-insensitive search. 'Find'
                    has a lot of features (read the docs) and should be your first
                    resource for lost files.

                    On a fully configured system, you can find files faster with the
                    'locate' command. Unfortunately, some slug distributions come with
                    buggy versions of updatedb/locate.

                    Regards,

                    John
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.