Re: IPKG stopped working?

  • Adam Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
      Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...> writes:

      > I think that I now know what is happening here. Firstly slingbox does
      > not include the wget command so the sym link above will not work. The
      > default wget program gets copied over from flash ram to /usr/bin/wget
      > during unslinging.

      The slingbox in Unslung 6.8 definitely does include wget

      $ /bin/slingbox --help
      BusyBox v1.00 (2005.12.27-01:15+0000) multi-call binary

      Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
      or: [function] [arguments]...

      Currently defined functions:
      ..., unzip,
      wget, zcat

      I haven't got an unslug 5.5 box here to check what that did.

      > It looks as if when you install the optware package 'wget', it deletes
      > the older version located in /usr/bin/ so the optware wget installer is
      > at fault here.

      The wget optware package doesn't include a postinst script so can't be deleting
      files

      > This fault is probably common to other optware packages such as 'cpio'
      > and 'find' plus some others that install updated versions of standard
      > /usr/bin/programs and perhaps /bin/programs.

      The standard optware behaviour in all of these cases is to put the new program
      in /opt/bin and require the user to include /opt/bin ahead of /bin and /usr/bin
      in their path.

      It is possible to run optware on a target where /bin and /usr/bin are both on a
      read only file system (and I've got a box here where I do) so assuming you can
      create links there isn't a great idea.