FTP server using bftpd and xinetd

  • Neil Vickery
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      I've recently upgraded my slug from the standard Linksys firmware to
      Unslung 6.8 with no problem.

      My overall intention is to use the slug as a NAS (obviously!) but also
      as both FTP and PXE servers. I noticed that the unslung firmware
      introduces an FTP server using bftpd which seems to work quite well,
      so no need to install anything else then!!

      To function as a PXE server a couple of other packages are needed
      including DHCP and TFTP. I installed, configured and tested the DHCP
      server package again with no problem.

      I then installed xinetd, as tftp-hpa depends on it. I configured
      xinetd.conf so that it would accept connections from my network and
      tested FTP - it had stopped working. A default install of xinetd
      includes config files for telnet and also a ftp-sensor config. I
      didn't want telnet (I use openSSH) so I disabled it in the config file
      and deleted the ftp-sensor file. After a bit of head scratching I
      found an xinetd config for a bftpd server and installed it.

      I rebooted the slug and tested everything - still OK and the bftpd
      server does start when the slug receives an FTP request but it takes
      about 30secs from the 'connected' message to the 'user' prompt, before
      xinetd it was instant. If I start another concurrent FTP session then
      it's instant so I guess the delay is bftpd starting up.

      My question : is there any way to speed it up so you never have to
      wait the 30secs

      Any suggestions?