Re: [nslu2-linux] Strange behaviour with Western Digital MyBook Essential 500GB

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Can you elaborate? Do you have a reference or a URL with more details? If
      this is so, it would seem to be something documentable for new users, and
      perhaps even patchable in the kernel (although I know of no parts of the
      kernel that are aware of the cache size of an IDE disk).
      Mike (mwester)

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
        Thanks for the info. To me it seems that it depends on some
        milliseconds the drive needs to start up - sometimes it works and
        sometimes not.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Fabrizio Diversi" <briz60@...> wrote:

        > I had the same story when I changed my 100 gb disk with a new one of
        320gb capacity with the same usb enclosure. The problem was related to
        the external usb box, that worked perfectly with lower capacity disk
        and not with the new one. I bought an Icy box usb enclosure , that is
        clearly indicated as compatible and everything was perfect again.
        > Hope this help.
        > Fabrizio
      • anguel_stankov
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
          I also can hardly imagine that it is exactly the cache size because
          this is internal drive hardware. As I said in my other post I have the
          impression that the problem occurs if the drive does not manage to
          start up on time because of some delay that occurs from time to time.
          Mabe this could have something to do with the cache?

          Anguel

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
            Update: The drive spins down with Unslung 5.5 (without additional
            scripts) but not with 6.8 so far :(