RE: [nslu2-linux] Strange behaviour with Western Digital MyBook Essential 500GB

  • Trendo Huomo
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      The problem is most likely related to the cache size (8MB, 16MB, ?) of the drive and has nothing to do with the drive capacity. Trendo

      Fabrizio Diversi <briz60@...> wrote:
      I had the same story when I changed my 100 gb disk with a new one of 320gb capacity with the same usb enclosure. The problem was related to the external usb box, that worked perfectly with lower capacity disk and not with the new one. I bought an Icy box usb enclosure , that is clearly indicated as compatible and everything was perfect again.
      Hope this help.
      Fabrizio

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        Can you elaborate? Do you have a reference or a URL with more details? If
        this is so, it would seem to be something documentable for new users, and
        perhaps even patchable in the kernel (although I know of no parts of the
        kernel that are aware of the cache size of an IDE disk).
        Mike (mwester)

        > The problem is most likely related to the cache size (8MB, 16MB, ?) of the
        drive and has nothing to do with the drive capacity. Trendo
      • anguel_stankov
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
          Thanks for the info. To me it seems that it depends on some
          milliseconds the drive needs to start up - sometimes it works and
          sometimes not.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Fabrizio Diversi" <briz60@...> wrote:

          > I had the same story when I changed my 100 gb disk with a new one of
          320gb capacity with the same usb enclosure. The problem was related to
          the external usb box, that worked perfectly with lower capacity disk
          and not with the new one. I bought an Icy box usb enclosure , that is
          clearly indicated as compatible and everything was perfect again.
          > Hope this help.
          > Fabrizio
        • anguel_stankov
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
            I also can hardly imagine that it is exactly the cache size because
            this is internal drive hardware. As I said in my other post I have the
            impression that the problem occurs if the drive does not manage to
            start up on time because of some delay that occurs from time to time.
            Mabe this could have something to do with the cache?

            Anguel

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
              Update: The drive spins down with Unslung 5.5 (without additional
              scripts) but not with 6.8 so far :(