Strange behaviour with Western Digital MyBook Essential 500GB

  • anguel_stankov
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi all!

      In Nov 2006 I bought a NSLU2 and a Western Digital MyBook Essential
      500GB external HDD.

      I installed Unslung 6.8, formatted the drive with the slug and
      unslinged to the HDD without problems.

      Unfortunately I noticed a strange behavour. In most cases the NSLU2
      boots up normally but from time to time it freezes during boot-up and
      only the ethernet light is on. In this case I can do nothing but
      unplug the power connector. After pluging it in again, the NSLU2 boots
      up normally again. I thought this has something to do with the unslung
      and reverted to original Linksys firmware v23RA5. But this behaviour
      appears also with the Linksys firmware from time to time.

      The second thing is that the drive should spin down when not in use.
      But this does not happen with Unslung and it does not happen with the
      original Linksys firmware. I am really frustrated.

      Thanks for any hints.

      Anguel
    • Fabrizio Diversi
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
        I had the same story when I changed my 100 gb disk with a new one of 320gb capacity with the same usb enclosure. The problem was related to the external usb box, that worked perfectly with lower capacity disk and not with the new one. I bought an Icy box usb enclosure , that is clearly indicated as compatible and everything was perfect again.
        Hope this help.
        Fabrizio

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Trendo Huomo
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          The problem is most likely related to the cache size (8MB, 16MB, ?) of the drive and has nothing to do with the drive capacity. Trendo

          Fabrizio Diversi <briz60@...> wrote:
[...]

          http://it.yahoo. com/mail_ it/foot/* http://it. messenger. yahoo.com

        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
            Can you elaborate? Do you have a reference or a URL with more details? If
            this is so, it would seem to be something documentable for new users, and
            perhaps even patchable in the kernel (although I know of no parts of the
            kernel that are aware of the cache size of an IDE disk).
            Mike (mwester)

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
              Thanks for the info. To me it seems that it depends on some
              milliseconds the drive needs to start up - sometimes it works and
              sometimes not.

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Fabrizio Diversi" <briz60@...> wrote:

              > I had the same story when I changed my 100 gb disk with a new one of
              320gb capacity with the same usb enclosure. The problem was related to
              the external usb box, that worked perfectly with lower capacity disk
              and not with the new one. I bought an Icy box usb enclosure , that is
              clearly indicated as compatible and everything was perfect again.
              > Hope this help.
              > Fabrizio
            • anguel_stankov
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
                I also can hardly imagine that it is exactly the cache size because
                this is internal drive hardware. As I said in my other post I have the
                impression that the problem occurs if the drive does not manage to
                start up on time because of some delay that occurs from time to time.
                Mabe this could have something to do with the cache?

                Anguel

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
                  Update: The drive spins down with Unslung 5.5 (without additional
                  scripts) but not with 6.8 so far :(