Booting from backup drive?

  • Sean Carolan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
      Hey folks:

      Since I have a lot of data on the drive that's attached to my slug, I
      decided to make a backup. I created identical partitions on my backup
      drive to the ones on the live drive, and used rsync to copy the files
      over. I also used dd to copy the boot sector to the backup drive, but
      the system won't boot from the backup drive. Any suggestions? The
      backup drive's data is all there, it just won't work as the boot device.

      thanks

      Sean
    • mwester@dls.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
        What firmware are you running?
        (BTW, the NSLU2 doesn't have a boot sector, as it boots from internal flash.)
        Mike(mwester)

        > Hey folks:
        >
        > Since I have a lot of data on the drive that's attached to my slug, I
        > decided to make a backup. I created identical partitions on my backup
        > drive to the ones on the live drive, and used rsync to copy the files
        > over. I also used dd to copy the boot sector to the backup drive, but
        > the system won't boot from the backup drive. Any suggestions? The
        > backup drive's data is all there, it just won't work as the boot device.
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > Sean
      • Sean Carolan
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:

          > What firmware are you running?
          > (BTW, the NSLU2 doesn't have a boot sector, as it boots from
          internal flash.)
          > Mike(mwester)

          I realized this a few minutes after I posted it - I guess I'm
          conditioned by the i386 way of doing things :)

          I'm using DebianSlug 3.10 beta. Any suggestions how to get the slug
          to recognize the backup drive the same as the live drive? At first I
          thought I'd do an exact copy with dd, but it was taking waaaay too
          long, so I opted instead for fdisk, mkfs, and rsync.

          Thanks

          Sean
        • Patrick Schneider
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2006

            DebianSlug uses the UUID (an unique device ID) to select it's boot
            device. (See /initrd/linuxrc when booting from HD or /linuxrc when
            booting from the internal flash memory). You have to use "turnup" to
            switch drives (or use device file names instead of the UUID).

            Regards,
            Patrick

            Sean Carolan schrieb:
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:
            >> What firmware are you running?
            >> (BTW, the NSLU2 doesn't have a boot sector, as it boots from
            > internal flash.)
            >> Mike(mwester)
            >
            > I realized this a few minutes after I posted it - I guess I'm
            > conditioned by the i386 way of doing things :)
            >
            > I'm using DebianSlug 3.10 beta. Any suggestions how to get the slug
            > to recognize the backup drive the same as the live drive? At first I
            > thought I'd do an exact copy with dd, but it was taking waaaay too
            > long, so I opted instead for fdisk, mkfs, and rsync.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Sean
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Sean Carolan
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2006
              > DebianSlug uses the UUID (an unique device ID) to select it's boot
              > device. (See /initrd/linuxrc when booting from HD or /linuxrc when
              > booting from the internal flash memory). You have to use "turnup" to
              > switch drives (or use device file names instead of the UUID).

              Thanks for your reply, Patrick. I don't have anything in /initrd, and
              I don't have a /linuxrc directory either. My root directory is on a
              hard drive, and I don't have flash memory hooked up to the slug now.
              Any ideas where that linuxrc might be located?

              thanks

              Sean
            • Patrick Schneider
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006

                Sean Carolan schrieb:
                > Thanks for your reply, Patrick. I don't have anything in /initrd, and
                > I don't have a /linuxrc directory either. My root directory is on a
                > hard drive, and I don't have flash memory hooked up to the slug now.
                > Any ideas where that linuxrc might be located?

                If you boot the NSLU2 without the disk attached, you should be able to
                see (and edit) /linuxrc (it's a shell script btw). Do this with caution,
                if something goes wrong, you could render your system unbootable and
                you'll have to reflash the NSLU2.
                Another option would be using "turnup" (booting without the disk
                attached, ssh into the NSLU2, plug in the disk) and use
                turnup disk /dev/sda1 -t ext3
                to redirect the boot process to the other disk.

                Regards,
                Patrick

              • Adam Baker
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Sean Carolan <sean@...> writes:

                  > > DebianSlug uses the UUID (an unique device ID) to select it's boot
                  > > device. (See /initrd/linuxrc when booting from HD or /linuxrc when
                  > > booting from the internal flash memory). You have to use "turnup" to
                  > > switch drives (or use device file names instead of the UUID).
                  > >
                  > Thanks for your reply, Patrick. I don't have anything in /initrd, and
                  > I don't have a /linuxrc directory either. My root directory is on a
                  > hard drive, and I don't have flash memory hooked up to the slug now.
                  > Any ideas where that linuxrc might be located?

                  Are you sure you are using DebianSlug 3.10, not the newer Debian installer? On a
                  DebianSlug machine I get

                  $ ls -l /initrd/linuxrc
                  -rwxr--r-- 1 root root 139 2006-10-13 00:57 /initrd/linuxrc

                  I believe that the Debian Installer doesn't mount a JFFS2 filesystem as /initrd
                  but DebianSlug should if it suceeds in switching root to the hard disk (if it
                  boots without a hard disk then the file is just /linuxrc as the pivot root
                  doesn't happen).
                • Sean Carolan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                    > Are you sure you are using DebianSlug 3.10, not the newer Debian
                    installer? On a
                    > DebianSlug machine I get
                    >
                    > $ ls -l /initrd/linuxrc
                    > -rwxr--r-- 1 root root 139 2006-10-13 00:57 /initrd/linuxrc
                    >
                    > I believe that the Debian Installer doesn't mount a JFFS2 filesystem
                    as /initrd
                    > but DebianSlug should if it suceeds in switching root to the hard
                    disk (if it
                    > boots without a hard disk then the file is just /linuxrc as the
                    pivot root
                    > doesn't happen).

                    Hmm, I thought I was using 3.10, at least that is the image I
                    downloaded. Here's some more info on my machine:

                    scarolan@sluggo:~$ uname -a
                    Linux sluggo 2.6.17-2-ixp4xx #1 Thu Sep 14 13:29:00 UTC 2006 armv5tel
                    GNU/Linux

                    scarolan@sluggo:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

                    deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch main
                    deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch main
                    deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
                    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main

                    scarolan@sluggo:~$ ls /initrd/
                    (returns nothing)

                    scarolan@sluggo:~$ ls /boot
                    System.map-2.6.17-2-ixp4xx initrd.img-2.6.17-2-ixp4xx
                    apex.flash initrd.img-2.6.17-2-ixp4xx.bak
                    config-2.6.17-2-ixp4xx vmlinuz
                    initrd.img vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-ixp4xx
                  • Gordon Farquharson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                      On 12/1/06, Sean Carolan <sean@...> wrote:

                      > Hmm, I thought I was using 3.10, at least that is the image I
                      > downloaded. Here's some more info on my machine:

                      Looks to me like you are using Debian/NSLU2 [1] (installed using the
                      Debian Installer RC1).

                      Gordon

                      [1] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage

                      --
                      Gordon Farquharson
                    • Sean Carolan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                        > Looks to me like you are using Debian/NSLU2 [1] (installed using the
                        > Debian Installer RC1).
                        >
                        > Gordon

                        Heh, shows what I know. Yes, I did use the image from Martin's
                        website to install so I am using Debian/NSLU2. Now - how do I get it
                        to boot from my backup drive? I can't find any way to change boot
                        parameters, etc.