Re: Why to SlugOS/BE

  • sdm485
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28, 2006
      I was able to compile php-5.1.6 on my Openslug 3.10 system. The
      combination of cherokee and the compiled php is impressive when
      running gallery. Of course, I am not going to be resizing pictures on
      the slug because I think that takes pretty close to forever....

      Steve

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Øyvind Repvik <repvik@...> wrote:

      > CN wrote:
      > > I changed the subject to a new thread.
      > >
      > > I am running unSlung in a (home) production environment (private
      website, all
      > > dynamic with extensive scripting, custom database). I think
      SlugOS/BE may be
      > > better because:
      >
      > If you want to run a webserver on OpenSlug (SlugOS/BE), you're in for a
      > ride. AFAIK, Apache is available through the "native" feed (ie,
      compiled
      > natively on a slug), but PHP isn't. Apache is (supposedly) a major task
      > to cross-compile, and I have absolutely no idea how hard it is to get
      > PHP working.
      >

      > > a. Want to reduce footprint, eventually run from flash, and then
      completely
      > > from memory
      >
      > That should be perfectly possible, depending on your application. I
      have
      > a NSLU2 running OpenSlug with nothing but a ZD1211 WLan stick attached.
      > It's the bridge between the wireless network in my house, and the local
      > LAN in my "office". Too lazy to pull cables ;-)
      >
      > > b. Want to experiment with adding more memory
      >
      > It's difficult. AFAIK, <5 have *successfully* upgraded the RAM on their
      > NSLU2's. At this time, adding more ram also means fiddling with the
      > kernel and recompiling to get the extra ram to work. This *might*
      change
      > with the next release.
      >
      > > c. Want a stable environment -- (limited linux experience)
      >
      > The latest stable release should be just that. Stable, hopefully very
      > reliable, and doesn't change a lot after release. (Some bugfixes will
      > happen of course)
      >
      > > d. Highest possible performance out of slug (/LE will be less
      performance,
      > > albeit possibly small)
      >
      > That'd definitely be OpenSlug. Running in LE mode reduces network
      > performance (Someone measured a 30% decline in performance).
      >
      > > e. No need for my own builds/linux experiments
      > >
      > > BTW, I have some disk i/o performance numbers between unSlung and
      /BE for
      > > the same disk drive in the same slug. Will publish here soon.
      Buffered disk
      > > reads are 30% faster on /BE.
      >
      > That the disk performance between UnSlung and OpenSlug differs is no
      > surprise. UnSlung is running a completely different kernel from
      OpenSlug.