Re: Order of sda and sdb in new Debian system: SOLVED!

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2006
      Finally solved! Many thanks to everyone who helped, and sorry to
      everyone else who had to endure all my email. In summary:

      - Label your partitions with tune2fs -L and mkswap -L.
      - Use /dev/disk/by-label in /etc/fstab
      - Add a root=/dev/disk/by-label/root kernel command line parameter, by
      recompiling APEX.
      - In the Debian/NSLU2 initramfs, move the ROOT=/dev/sda1 in
      conf/param.conf to conf/conf.d/default_root.

      I have written a couple of wiki pages describing this in more detail.
      But considering the time and effort required to recompile APEX and to
      change the initramfs, I suggest that most users with multiple disks
      wait until APEX has an easier way to set the kernel command line and
      the initramfs bug has been fixed before installing Debian/NSLU2. I
      would also discourage attempting this upgrade if you don't have a
      serial port on which to observe the boot process.

      Thanks again.

      Phil.