Nwb having dificulties to unsling

  • ubiquozinho
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
      Hello all,
      I'm sorry, but i'm getting desperate, and I need help because since
      one week ago, I've been trying to Unsling my nslu2 without success.
      I've been reading all the posts that I found, in all the foruns you
      can imagine. I've tried some hints I found, but I just can't do it.

      This is the scenario:

      I've got a NSLU2 (realy??), and two external HDD(freecom USB2.0
      400GB).
      I've read, at one post somewhere, that this HDD, are incompatible
      whith the NSLU2. I hope not. My experience tells me, that they work
      fine with the original linksys firmware and the the 6.8-beta.

      I think I've done all the steps correctly. Those that are explained
      in the README document, so I flashed the NSLU2 with the 6.8-beta
      firmware (with success, I think).
      The strange things started after initiating the telnet session, when
      I plug the hdd to the port1,. At the web interface, I saw only 6Mb
      free space (3%). This isn't normal, because the HDD is empty, only
      formatted with the NSLU2.
      Even so, I tried to unsling, but I've got an error message saying
      that the disk is not a mounted disk.

      After that I deleted all the HDD partitions, and i've tried to
      format the disk after the telnet session initiated (as explained in
      the README document). This time it shows me all the available disk
      space (100%). After that I tried to Unsling. Aparently, I've done
      the unsling process to the hdd with success. The process asked me to
      change the password, and I've done it. But when I reboot the nslu2,
      it was still running from the flash memory, and when I telnet into
      the NSLU as root user, I need to type the new password.

      Since that, i've tried to redone the unsling process a lot of times
      (reformating the hdd, removing the /.sdb1root and /.unslung files
      first), all possible combinations, but nothing seems to work.

      If don't find a solution, the next thing, it'll be flashing the 6.8-
      beta again. But to be honest, I've been avoiding that, because I
      don't fell confortable.

      I have no more ideas. Someone please, help me.
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
        > The strange things started after initiating the telnet session, when
        > I plug the hdd to the port1,. At the web interface, I saw only 6Mb
        > free space (3%). This isn't normal, because the HDD is empty, only
        > formatted with the NSLU2.

        This is almost certainly the root cause of your troubles. If you are seeing
        only 6MB free space on the GUI, that's an indication that the Linksys
        firmware is unable to mount the disks correctly -- which leaves only the
        internal flash memory partition (6MB) mounted (and the GUI incorrectly
        interprets that as being space on the HDD).

        So basically it looks like the HDD cannot be mounted for some reason or
        another. If the HDD was already formatted by the Linksys GUI, then
        something has gone badly wrong (and might be why some have mentioned it is
        not compatible).

        > Even so, I tried to unsling, but I've got an error message saying
        > that the disk is not a mounted disk.

        That would be correct. If it is not able to be mounted, the GUI will
        incorrectly report the internal flash space as HDD space.

        > After that I deleted all the HDD partitions, and i've tried to
        > format the disk after the telnet session initiated (as explained in
        > the README document). This time it shows me all the available disk
        > space (100%). After that I tried to Unsling. Aparently, I've done
        > the unsling process to the hdd with success. The process asked me to
        > change the password, and I've done it. But when I reboot the nslu2,
        > it was still running from the flash memory, and when I telnet into
        > the NSLU as root user, I need to type the new password.

        Ok, this tells us that the format works ok, and that once formatted the
        partitions can be mounted. This allows both the GUI to work, and the
        Unsling command to operate correctly. When the Unsling utility changes the
        password, it changes it across the board -- the password change takes effect
        not only on the target unslung disk, but also on the subsequent firmware-ony
        boots (it's less confusing that way). So it is entirely expected that you
        would have to use the new password. What isn't expected is that it would
        boot up from the flash. It would seem that for whatever reason, the boot
        process was not able to find the disk drives.

        > Since that, i've tried to redone the unsling process a lot of times
        > (reformating the hdd, removing the /.sdb1root and /.unslung files
        > first), all possible combinations, but nothing seems to work.

        Persistence is good, but we need to figure out what the root problem is. I
        don't think reformatting it will change what's not working. The challenge
        is to find out what's happening, and unslung doesn't really have the tools
        to sort that out easily (at least prior to the not-yet-released version).

        > If don't find a solution, the next thing, it'll be flashing the 6.8-
        > beta again. But to be honest, I've been avoiding that, because I
        > don't fell confortable.

        I don't think re-flashing will make much difference, but it's worth a try.
        It certainly won't hurt anything.

        > I have no more ideas. Someone please, help me.

        You've mentioned some concern about the drives you have - do you have
        anything else you can unsling to instead? That would at least verify that
        everything else is working, and verify the procedure.

        In order to track down the problem with the existing disks, we need to focus
        on what happens when the disk is attached to the NSLU2. Specifically, we
        need to try to figure out why the firmware isn't mounting it, and why the
        boot process might not be able to see it. Some additional information will
        be helpful:

        a) unplug the drive(s), and reboot the NSLU2.
        b) telnet into the device.
        c) plug in the disk drive, and give it several minutes to settle and do what
        it must.
        d) capture the output from the following commands:

        cat /proc/mounts
        tail -50 /var/log/messages
        fdisk -l /dev/sdb

        - Mike (mwester)
      • ubiquozinho
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
          Hi mike,
          Thanks for your attention, first of all, I'm sorry for taking so
          long to give you a feedback. It's been (and it will be) a weekend
          with lots of things to do (wife, kids...) :-( ...just joking ;-)). I
          hope you don't mind.

          > You've mentioned some concern about the drives you have - do you
          have
          > anything else you can unsling to instead? That would at least
          verify that
          > everything else is working, and verify the procedure.

          Unfortunatly, I don't have anything else to unsling.

          > In order to track down the problem with the existing disks, we
          need to focus
          > on what happens when the disk is attached to the NSLU2.
          Specifically, we
          > need to try to figure out why the firmware isn't mounting it, and
          why the
          > boot process might not be able to see it. Some additional
          information will
          > be helpful:

          Ok. Let's go.
          The disk its now, empty and formatted with the NSLU2 (6.8-Beta).
          I've done the next steps you've asked. And I notice a new detail:

          > a) unplug the drive(s), and reboot the NSLU2.
          I've done it. OK

          > b) telnet into the device.
          I've done it. OK

          > c) plug in the disk drive, and give it several minutes to settle
          and do what
          > it must.
          I've done it. The new detail is this:
          During the mounting process, I've refreshed the web interface
          frequently, and I noticed that, at the begining, the hdd was mounted
          normaly, at the USB PORT1.
          Then it apears that it starts mounting, something he things it was
          pluged at USB PORT2. first the information was: 'Ready, 3MB (1%
          Free)', then it changed to 'Ready, 3MB (1% Free)', and sudenly, the
          information that was at USB PORT1 desapeared, being replaced by that
          of USB PORT1 (this time it shows only 1% Free, not 3%). It apears
          that somehow, it lost the hdd information. But entering the
          Administration disk web interface, it shows me a formatted EXT3 hdd.

          > d) capture the output from the following commands:

          Here's the commands output:

          > cat /proc/mounts

          rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
          /dev/root / jffs2 rw 0 0
          /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
          usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0

          > tail -50 /var/log/messages
          I'll give only the messages since I turned on the NSLU2:

          13:14:44 login[568]:root login on 'ttyp0' from '192.168.2.2'
          13:33:40 klogd: hub.c: new USBdevice 00:01.2-1, assigned address 2
          13:33:40 klogd: Device descriptor:8 bytes received
          13:33:40 klogd: Device descriptor:18 bytes received
          13:33:40 klogd: Protocol: Transparent SCSI
          13:33:40 klogd: *** detected:usb-storage
          13:33:40 klogd: * scsi_register:usb-storage-0
          13:33:40 klogd: * scsi_reg, hostno:1 prot is 49
          13:33:40 klogd: * scsi_reg, retval->host_no:1
          13:33:40 klogd: scsi1 : SCSI emulationfor USB Mass Storage devices
          13:33:40 klogd: ! scan_scsis
          13:33:40 klogd: do read capacity!!!
          13:33:40 klogd: read capacity ok!!!
          13:33:40 klogd: The capacity is 781422768
          13:33:40 klogd: *** 49
          13:33:40 klogd: Vendor: SAMSUNG Model: HD400LD Rev: WQ10
          13:33:40 klogd: Type: Direct-Acess ANSI SCSI revision: 02
          13:33:40 klogd: Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0,
          lun 0
          13:33:40 klogd: SCSI device sdb: 781422768 512.byte hdwr sectors
          (400088 MB)
          13:33:40 klogd: 31 port connect!!!!!
          13:33:40 klogd: Partition check:
          13:33:40 klogd: p1 p2 p3
          13:33:40 klogd: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
          13:33:40 klogd: USB Mass Storage device found at 2
          13:33:40 klogd: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
          13:33:40 klogd: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
          13:33:41 klogd: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August on sd(8,17), internal
          journal
          13:33:41 klogd: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered date mode.
          13:33:41 klogd: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
          13:33:41 klogd: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August on sd(8,18), internal
          journal
          13:33:41 klogd: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
          13:33:41 klogd: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered date mode.
          13:33:45 klogd: Adding Swap: 120480k swap-space (priority -1)
          13:33:47 klogd: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August on sd(8,17), internal
          journal

          > fdisk -l /dev/sdb

          Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 48641 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

          Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sdb1 1 48611 390467826 83 Linux
          /dev/sdb2 48612 48626 120487+ 83 Linux
          /dev/sdb3 48627 48641 120487+ 82 Linux swap

          This is not the command output:
          I hope this information will help you... and me

          Paulo Mateus
        • ubiquozinho
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
            I'm sorry, I didn't describe what happened correctly.

            This are the correct facts:

            > During the mounting process, I've refreshed the web interface
            > frequently, and I noticed that, at the begining, the hdd was
            mounted
            > normaly, at the USB PORT1.
            > Then it apears that it starts mounting, something he things it was
            > pluged at USB PORT2. first the information was: 'Ready, 3MB (1%
            > Free)', then it changed to 'Ready, 3MB (1% Free)', and sudenly,
            the

            Here, the correct fact is
            'then, it changed to 'Ready, 6MB (1% Free)'

            > information that was at USB PORT1 desapeared, being replaced by
            that
            > of USB PORT1 (this time it shows only 1% Free, not 3%). It apears

            Here, the correct fact is
            'of USB PORT2'

            I'm sorry for some confusion
          • ubiquozinho
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
              Hello again,

              New developments.
              Maybe they could help.

              Just to clarify.
              Till now, after the telnet, I've only tried plug in just one hdd,
              and it was to the USB PORT1.

              First experience:
              After the telnet session started, I plugged both hdd's.
              This time, thei're both mounted correctly.
              It seems that, when there is just one disk plugged (at PORT1),
              There's a problem with the mounting process.
              I made the unsling to disk one.
              reboot the NSLU2. And... still running from flash memory.

              Second Experience:
              Similar to the previous, but tried to unsling to disk 2 (PORT2),
              with PORT1 empty. The disk2 was mounted correctly.
              After unsling, and reboot, the same result... still running from
              flash memory.

              I didn't try unsling to disk2, with disk1 plugged in, but I think
              this will not resolve my problem.

              That's all for now.