FTP

  • Reggie Suplido
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
      Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

      Thanks.
    • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
        > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

        I hope a firmware gets released for this, as I'm hoping for the same...but
        I'm sure that's NOT something that will come out of Linksys. Looking at
        their other NAS offerings, there is a full NAS with 80GB HDD for around
        ~450.00. So, when you have 100.00 NSLU2 and a 200.00 external HDD 300.00 is
        the SMB NAS device you get with the NSLU2. They want you to pay another
        $150.00 for the ftp functionality...which is what they probably call
        "business class".

        My 0.02 =)

        David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
        If you don't take action, someone else will. http://action.eff.org
        Funstuff: I'd rather she'd used me for sex. Using me for my mind really
        bothered me.
      • Jim Buzbee
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
          On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Reggie Suplido wrote:

          > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

          I havn't built an ftp server, but I think it would be fairly easy. If
          you want to try it, look for the link to cross-compiler tools on my
          site, find ftp server source and give it a try...

          www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html

          Jim

          > Thanks.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Jim Buzbee "I was gratified to be able to
          jbuzbee@... answer promptly, and I did. I
          http://batbox.org said I didn't know." Mark Twain
        • Aristotle Allen
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
            FTP would be great, i kind of gave up on the idea, but I would love to
            have it. NFS and CIFS are simply too chatty to be used over long
            distances, FTP would definately solve that problem. Then I could set
            up an external route that will actually be useful.

            -

            Ari

            On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:35:53 -0600 (MDT), Jim Buzbee <jbuzbee@...> wrote:
            > On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Reggie Suplido wrote:
            >
            > > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
            >
            > I havn't built an ftp server, but I think it would be fairly easy. If
            > you want to try it, look for the link to cross-compiler tools on my
            > site, find ftp server source and give it a try...
            >
            > www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html
            >
            > Jim
            >

            > > Thanks.
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            -
            Aristotle B. Allen
          • joule360
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Aristotle Allen
              <aristotle.allen@g...> wrote:
              > FTP would be great, i kind of gave up on the idea, but I would love
              > have it. NFS and CIFS are simply too chatty to be used over long
              > distances, FTP would definately solve that problem. Then I could
              set
              > up an external route that will actually be useful.
              >
              > -

              NFS is certainly insecure outside of a secured LAN - one can easily
              spoof NFS provided one can connect to the LAN with a machine to which
              one has root access.

              I'm not so certain about FTP either - ftp does transmit data in clear
              format, and if I understand it correctly, FTP sends username/password
              data via cleartext as well.

              CIFS is actually not all that bad since you can, *I think*, encrypt
              password transmission.

              For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
              using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
              for the nslu2.

              nl
            • Jim Buzbee
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
                On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, joule360 wrote:

                > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
                > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
                > for the nslu2.
                >
                > nl

                Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh

                http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html

                Jim

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
                  > Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh
                  >
                  > http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
                  >
                  > Jim

                  I know that is the one used with the WRT54G sveasoft firmware...but I tried
                  looking for documentation for that sshd, so I could add user/id and port
                  forwarding to my WRT54G (similar to the cygwin ssh client)...but I was
                  unable to find more than the most rudimentary of documentation on dropbear.

                  Did I just miss it, or does someone else know where I can find more info on
                  the subject?

                  David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                  Powerpro Yahoogroup - Come, talk and learn. http://tinyurl.com/2sf7d
                  Funstuff: Yoda of Borg are we. Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we
                  will.
                • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
                    > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
                    > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
                    > for the nslu2.

                    Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp capabilities? Sounds
                    like something nice.... =)

                    David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                    So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
                    Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
                  • joule360
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
                      Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
                      outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed. Speaking
                      of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
                      the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
                      your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
                      someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
                      effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
                      root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
                      is or will be soon enough).

                      Presumably none of the web access files and utilities have a password
                      hard coded into them that will get broken if you change these default
                      passwords; I haven't had a chance to scan all of them to see what
                      might break, and some of the .cgi scripts are binary so that's a bit
                      more difficult. Of course, you can use the web access to change the
                      admin password, but not root or mytelnetrescueuser.

                      Just a word of warning on security.

                      nl

                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, WRT54G.yg@d... wrote:
                      > > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what
                      about
                      > > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
                      > > for the nslu2.
                      >
                      > Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp
                      capabilities? Sounds
                      > like something nice.... =)
                      >
                      > David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                      > So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
                      > Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
                    • Eugene
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "joule360" <joule360@y...> wrote:
                        > btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
                        > the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
                        > your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
                        > someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
                        > effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
                        > root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
                        > is or will be soon enough).

                        It won't be a problem unless TelNet is on, and if someone has turned
                        it on I'm sure they'll reset the passwords first thing.
                      • Brian
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
                          --- On Mon 08/09, joule360 < joule360@... > wrote:

                          > Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
                          > outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed.
                          > Speaking
                          > of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped
                          > with the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc,
                          > putting your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security
                          > hole once someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not
                          > extending any effort in that direction having easily created my
                          > own account with root access separate from the linksys accounts,
                          > but I assume SOMEONE is or will be soon enough).

                          > Just a word of warning on security.

                          Good point!

                          As it is, there is a SIMPLE way to replace the root password, that is, mounting the drive on another machine, and changing it to something (like the one for the 'admin' user), telnetting in, and changing it using 'passwd'.

                          As for mounting it, using a 'live' Linux disk/CD, you can easily mount it, even on a dedicated Windows computer. I used my XP laptop, as it was just easier to do it on there.

                          Brian

                          No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
                        • phew_uk2001
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7 11:12 AM
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido" <rsuplido@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                            >
                            > Thanks.

                            With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                            forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                            (unslung 1.7).

                            I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                            that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                            ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                            phew.
                          • joule360
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7 12:28 PM
                              Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                              linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences between
                              various ftp daemons.

                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...> wrote:
                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                              <rsuplido@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks.
                              >
                              > With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                              > forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                              > (unslung 1.7).
                              >
                              > I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                              > that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                              >
                              > ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                              >
                              > phew.
                            • Dave Bixler
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7 12:30 PM
                                If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.

                                wrote:

                                Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

                                Thanks.

                                With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                                forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                                (unslung 1.7).

                                I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                                that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                                ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                                phew.

                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • joule360
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7 12:43 PM
                                  Yes, now that you mention it, I think that's where I got it.

                                  nl

                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bixler <dbixler@w...> wrote:
                                  > If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.
                                  >
                                  > joule360 wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                                  > >linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences
                                  between
                                  > >various ftp daemons.
                                  > >
                                  > >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > >>--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                                  > >>

                                  > ><rsuplido@y...>

                                  > >>With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                                  > >>forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                                  > >>(unslung 1.7).
                                  > >>
                                  > >>I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but
                                  assume
                                  > >>that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                                  > >>
                                  > >>..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                                  > >>
                                  > >>phew.
                                  > >>

                                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • phew_uk2001
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7 3:54 PM
                                    The 'thanks' was for me being able to compile at all!

                                    This seemed as good a thread to close as any.

                                    I was unaware of any ftpd in the original; could this maybe have been
                                    mentioned earlier (maybe i missed it)..and the thread closed out then?