slug hanging on disk1 to disk2 backup / copying many files

  • wilhol82
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2006
      Hi there,

      After a fair bit of fiddling, I've finally managed to get my slug
      working with unslung 6.8 beta, using 2 western digital caviar 250GB
      drives in external enclosures.

      I've had a few issues copying files to it (i.e. it would being
      'invisible' from the windows machine i was copying from after about 2
      hours of copying) but i finally managed to migrate 50GB of mp3s accross.
      I had assumed these issues to be related to the network and possibly
      because i was copying from NTFS.

      I now want to back up disk 1 (containing the shares) to disk 2, so
      have followed the instructions at
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware
      . This appears to start copying the files but then suffers from the
      same problem as copying over the network - i.e. the slug hangs after
      10 minutes, there is no disk activity and the script still appears to
      be executing. The only apparent solution is to pull the power and
      reboot, after which all the shares are accessible again.

      I have tried different usb enclosures (from the approved list) but
      this appears to make no difference.

      Does anybody have any other suggestions? I can't believe that
      replacing the slug itself is going to help.

      Many thanks,

      Will Holley