Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: The difference between bootstrapping and rc1

  • Martin Michlmayr
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
      * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
      > I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
      > Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
      > the Debian/debian-installer setup?

      If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
      guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
      In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
      following contents:

      do_symlinks = yes
      relative_links = yes
      do_bootloader = no
      do_bootfloppy = no
      do_initrd = yes
      link_in_boot = yes
      postinst_hook = flash-kernel

      If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
      or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
      --
      Martin Michlmayr
      http://www.cyrius.com/
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
        Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:

        > * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
        >> I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
        >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
        >> Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
        >> the Debian/debian-installer setup?
        >
        > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
        > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
        > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
        > following contents:
        >
        > do_symlinks = yes
        > relative_links = yes
        > do_bootloader = no
        > do_bootfloppy = no
        > do_initrd = yes
        > link_in_boot = yes
        > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
        >
        > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
        > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
        > --

        @ritz:~ 4Q> mount
        /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)

        woo-hoo!

        Thanks Martin,

      • Kevin Price
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
          Hi Martin! Hi all!

          Martin Michlmayr schrieb:
          > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
          > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

          BTW, there is one third option, which I have chosen, because it was the quickest
          method that appeared to me: You can swap the partitions entries in the partition
          table around, so that the one containing debian ist pointed at from sda1. In
          other words, use fdisk to delete the sda1 entry and the one for the partition
          containing debian, and redo the partitions the other way around. My sda2 ist
          physically located before my sda1 now.

          In fact, I would even put sda2 (swap) before sda1 (debian) when rebuilding the
          disk, for performance reasons.

          Of course this swapping has the potential to ruin all contents of the whole
          disk, so if anyone tries this, please be extra-careful, save the partition
          table(s!) and don't blame me if anything goes wrong! Oh, and ... you do have
          current backups, don't you? ;-)

          Have a nice day!

          Kevin

          --
          http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/runscript/display-person.cgi?user=214656
          http://www.amazon.de/gp/registry/wishlist/1STJFWXVXM083/ ICQ#75570407
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
            On 08/11/06, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
            > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
            > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html

            I stand corrected! I'll do this from work today I think.

            Ciemon
          • Kevin Glynn
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
              Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:

              > * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
              >> I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
              >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
              >> Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
              >> the Debian/debian-installer setup?
              >
              > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
              > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
              > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
              > following contents:
              >
              > do_symlinks = yes
              > relative_links = yes
              > do_bootloader = no
              > do_bootfloppy = no
              > do_initrd = yes
              > link_in_boot = yes
              > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
              >
              > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
              > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

              I followed your upgrade instructions. I wasn't quite sure when I was
              supposed to reattach the external disk. I waited a couple of minutes,
              plugged it in and rebooted via the power switch.

              Everything seems fine so far, and:

              @ritz:~ 4Q> uname -a
              Linux ritz 2.6.17-2-ixp4xx #1 Thu Sep 14 13:29:00 UTC 2006 armv5tel GNU/Linux

              Except that I end up with a red ready led and no beeps. Is that
              expected? Or is there an explanation that would help me track down
              any problem?

              cheers
            • Markus Lindenberg
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                On 11/8/06, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                Is it possible to change the boot partition after installation? My
                understanding is that this is "hardcoded" in apex from the apex-nslu2
                package. is this correct? can i change the boot partition by
                rebuilding the apex package from debian source? I'm interested in
                giving the root partition's UUID instead of sd1/sd2 etc. to the boot
                loader so i can mess with my usb setup without worries.

                Markus
              • Martin Michlmayr
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                  * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-08 10:28]:
                  > Except that I end up with a red ready led and no beeps. Is that
                  > expected?

                  There's no LED support at the moment. I'll come with 2.6.18. The
                  beeper should work after you do:
                  modprobe ixp4xx-beeper

                  --
                  Martin Michlmayr
                  http://www.cyrius.com/
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                    * Markus Lindenberg <markus.lindenberg@...> [2006-11-08 17:47]:
                    > > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                    > > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
                    >
                    > Is it possible to change the boot partition after installation? My
                    > understanding is that this is "hardcoded" in apex from the apex-nslu2
                    > package. is this correct?

                    If you do a new installation, you can chose whaterver root partition
                    you wish. The value is not hardcoded anywhere in the installer.
                    During ramdisk generation, the system will take whatever root
                    partition you have and write it into the ramdisk.

                    The only reason I mention that sda1 is needed for the upgrade is
                    because the ramdisk image I make available for upgrades contains sda1.
                    But if the ramdisk is generated from scratch after installation, it
                    will take whatever partition is used on your machine. There's no need
                    to recompile APEX.
                    --
                    Martin Michlmayr
                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                      > There's no LED support at the moment. I'll come
                      > with 2.6.18. The
                      > beeper should work after you do:
                      > modprobe ixp4xx-beeper
                      >
                      > --
                      > Martin Michlmayr
                      > http://www.cyrius.com/

                      NSLU2:~# lsmod

                      Module Size Used by
                      evdev 10368 0
                      ixp4xx_beeper 3584 0
                      ipv6 268072 18
                      dm_snapshot 16892 0
                      dm_mirror 20564 0
                      dm_mod 57712 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
                      ext3 136808 2
                      jbd 57844 1 ext3
                      mbcache 9156 1 ext3
                      sd_mod 18608 4
                      ixp400_eth 39868 0
                      ixp400 1065572 1 ixp400_eth
                      usb_storage 76075 3
                      scsi_mod 103792 2 sd_mod,usb_storage
                      ohci_hcd 17060 0
                      ehci_hcd 31304 0
                      usbcore 124964 4
                      usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

                      After a reboot the module is not loaded.

                      NSLU2:~# lsmod

                      Module Size Used by

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                        * dA <die_amme@...> [2006-11-08 18:53]:
                        > After a reboot the module is not loaded.

                        Yeah, put it in /etc/modules.
                        --
                        Martin Michlmayr
                        http://www.cyrius.com/
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                          > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                          > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                          > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                          > following contents:
                          >
                          > do_symlinks = yes
                          > relative_links = yes
                          > do_bootloader = no
                          > do_bootfloppy = no
                          > do_initrd = yes
                          > link_in_boot = yes
                          > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
                          >
                          > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                          > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                          Martin, I have upgraded my slug from a manual bootstrap using sid to
                          the current d-i, and I had a problem while trying to install the
                          linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx package. Since I was using sid, apt-get offered
                          to install linux-image-2.6.18-2-ixp4xx, and I thought this would not
                          be a good idea, since the whole procedure was talking about kernel
                          2.16.17. I did a lot of messing around with apt-get, but in the end I
                          figured out that I would simply need to add a line to sources.list
                          with a source for testing:

                          deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib

                          and then run:

                          apt-get update
                          apt-get -t testing install linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx
                          linux-image-2.6.17-2-ixp4xx

                          If you think it's a good idea, I'll add a notice to the wiki about this.

                          Regards,

                          Fernando Carolo
                        • Martin Michlmayr
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                            * Fernando Carolo <carolo@...> [2006-11-22 16:30]:
                            > If you think it's a good idea, I'll add a notice to the wiki about this.

                            My web page says:

                            | Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure that APT is pointed at etch
                            | (or testing). Then run:

                            | apt-get update

                            But sure, add something to the wiki.
                            --
                            Martin Michlmayr
                            http://www.cyrius.com/
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
                              > My web page says:
                              >
                              > | Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure that APT is pointed at etch
                              > | (or testing). Then run:
                              >
                              > | apt-get update

                              You're right, but I had my sources list _also_ pointing to sid, so
                              apt-get offered me the latest version it could find (2.6.18-2). I
                              guess I could simply change sources.list to use only etch and revert
                              to sid later, but I found the other way more confortable.

                              > But sure, add something to the wiki.

                              Done.

                              Thanks,

                              --