Re: [nslu2-linux] The difference between bootstrapping and rc1

  • Martin Michlmayr
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 5, 2006
      * Ciemon Dunville <ciemon@...> [2006-11-05 15:53]:
      > I'm sure I can get the answer from Martin, but for the greater good,
      > and also my understanding I'd like to know, what's the difference
      > between bootstrapping and using the rc1 debian installer?

      The main difference is that DebianSlug uses a different kernel than
      the Debian/debian-installer method and I think (but I'm not sure)
      stores some config values in flash. Apart from that, it's quite
      similar: the debian-installer calls debootstrap which is used for
      manual bootstrapping, but it also does a number of things
      automatically, like configuring the network, installing some standard
      software, etc.
      --
      Martin Michlmayr
      http://www.cyrius.com/
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 5, 2006
        Martin Michlmayr wrote:
        > The main difference is that DebianSlug uses a different kernel than
        > the Debian/debian-installer method and I think (but I'm not sure)
        > stores some config values in flash. Apart from that, it's quite
        > similar: the debian-installer calls debootstrap which is used for
        > manual bootstrapping, but it also does a number of things
        > automatically, like configuring the network, installing some standard
        > software, etc.

        Yeah, SlugOS has the "sysconf" script, which is able to store
        configuration information (including network settings, SSH keys, and any
        other OpenEmbedded configuration files) in the SysConf partition. These
        are then preserved across reflashing the firmware. We could probably do
        something similar using the preseeding support in the d-i image. We
        could even try and make the two interoperable for more than just the
        network settings ...

        But as Martin says, there is no practical difference now.

        -- Rod
      • Ciemon Dunville
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 6, 2006
          Thanks guys, just what I was after.

          Ciemon
        • Kevin Glynn
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
            Martin, all,

            I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap

            Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
            the Debian/debian-installer setup?

            iiuc I need to change the kernel (and?) and then hopefully it will be
            upgradeable via apt-get.

            cheers

            Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:

            > * Ciemon Dunville <ciemon@...> [2006-11-05 15:53]:
            >> I'm sure I can get the answer from Martin, but for the greater good,
            >> and also my understanding I'd like to know, what's the difference
            >> between bootstrapping and using the rc1 debian installer?
            >
            > The main difference is that DebianSlug uses a different kernel than
            > the Debian/debian-installer method and I think (but I'm not sure)
            > stores some config values in flash. Apart from that, it's quite
            > similar: the debian-installer calls debootstrap which is used for
            > manual bootstrapping, but it also does a number of things
            > automatically, like configuring the network, installing some standard
            > software, etc.
            > --
            > Martin Michlmayr
            > http://www.cyrius.com/

          • dA
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
              hi,
              maybe this helps you:

              http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html

              best regards
              dA

              --- Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> schrieb:

              > Martin, all,
              >
              > I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
              >

              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
              >
              > Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading
              > from this setup to
              > the Debian/debian-installer setup?
              >
              > iiuc I need to change the kernel (and?) and then
              > hopefully it will be
              > upgradeable via apt-get.
              >
              > cheers
              >

              > Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:
              >
              > > * Ciemon Dunville <ciemon@...> [2006-11-05
              > 15:53]:
              > >> I'm sure I can get the answer from Martin, but
              > for the greater good,
              > >> and also my understanding I'd like to know,
              > what's the difference
              > >> between bootstrapping and using the rc1 debian
              > installer?
              > >
              > > The main difference is that DebianSlug uses a
              > different kernel than
              > > the Debian/debian-installer method and I think
              > (but I'm not sure)
              > > stores some config values in flash. Apart from
              > that, it's quite
              > > similar: the debian-installer calls debootstrap
              > which is used for
              > > manual bootstrapping, but it also does a number of
              > things
              > > automatically, like configuring the network,
              > installing some standard
              > > software, etc.
              > > --
              > > Martin Michlmayr
              > > http://www.cyrius.com/
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ciemon Dunville
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                On 07/11/06, Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> wrote:
                > I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                >
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                >
                > Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
                > the Debian/debian-installer setup?
                >
                > iiuc I need to change the kernel (and?) and then hopefully it will be
                > upgradeable via apt-get.

                Hi Kevin,

                This is part of the reason I asked the original question. From the
                answers Martin and Rod provided, they are essentially the same,
                although I believe that there's some flashing required to upgrade
                DebianSlug bootstrap.

                I don't think there is a way to upgrade from DebianSlug to rc1, I'm
                just getting ready to start from scratch with Martin's Debian
                Installer.

                Ciemon
              • Martin Michlmayr
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                  * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
                  > I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                  > Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
                  > the Debian/debian-installer setup?

                  If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                  guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                  In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                  following contents:

                  do_symlinks = yes
                  relative_links = yes
                  do_bootloader = no
                  do_bootfloppy = no
                  do_initrd = yes
                  link_in_boot = yes
                  postinst_hook = flash-kernel

                  If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                  or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
                  --
                  Martin Michlmayr
                  http://www.cyrius.com/
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                    Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:

                    > * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
                    >> I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                    >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                    >> Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
                    >> the Debian/debian-installer setup?
                    >
                    > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                    > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                    > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                    > following contents:
                    >
                    > do_symlinks = yes
                    > relative_links = yes
                    > do_bootloader = no
                    > do_bootfloppy = no
                    > do_initrd = yes
                    > link_in_boot = yes
                    > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
                    >
                    > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                    > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
                    > --

                    @ritz:~ 4Q> mount
                    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)

                    woo-hoo!

                    Thanks Martin,

                  • Kevin Price
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                      Hi Martin! Hi all!

                      Martin Michlmayr schrieb:
                      > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                      > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                      BTW, there is one third option, which I have chosen, because it was the quickest
                      method that appeared to me: You can swap the partitions entries in the partition
                      table around, so that the one containing debian ist pointed at from sda1. In
                      other words, use fdisk to delete the sda1 entry and the one for the partition
                      containing debian, and redo the partitions the other way around. My sda2 ist
                      physically located before my sda1 now.

                      In fact, I would even put sda2 (swap) before sda1 (debian) when rebuilding the
                      disk, for performance reasons.

                      Of course this swapping has the potential to ruin all contents of the whole
                      disk, so if anyone tries this, please be extra-careful, save the partition
                      table(s!) and don't blame me if anything goes wrong! Oh, and ... you do have
                      current backups, don't you? ;-)

                      Have a nice day!

                      Kevin

                      --
                      http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/runscript/display-person.cgi?user=214656
                      http://www.amazon.de/gp/registry/wishlist/1STJFWXVXM083/ ICQ#75570407
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                        On 08/11/06, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
                        > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                        > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html

                        I stand corrected! I'll do this from work today I think.

                        Ciemon
                      • Kevin Glynn
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                          Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:

                          > * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
                          >> I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                          >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                          >> Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
                          >> the Debian/debian-installer setup?
                          >
                          > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                          > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                          > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                          > following contents:
                          >
                          > do_symlinks = yes
                          > relative_links = yes
                          > do_bootloader = no
                          > do_bootfloppy = no
                          > do_initrd = yes
                          > link_in_boot = yes
                          > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
                          >
                          > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                          > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                          I followed your upgrade instructions. I wasn't quite sure when I was
                          supposed to reattach the external disk. I waited a couple of minutes,
                          plugged it in and rebooted via the power switch.

                          Everything seems fine so far, and:

                          @ritz:~ 4Q> uname -a
                          Linux ritz 2.6.17-2-ixp4xx #1 Thu Sep 14 13:29:00 UTC 2006 armv5tel GNU/Linux

                          Except that I end up with a red ready led and no beeps. Is that
                          expected? Or is there an explanation that would help me track down
                          any problem?

                          cheers
                        • Markus Lindenberg
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                            On 11/8/06, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                            > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                            > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                            Is it possible to change the boot partition after installation? My
                            understanding is that this is "hardcoded" in apex from the apex-nslu2
                            package. is this correct? can i change the boot partition by
                            rebuilding the apex package from debian source? I'm interested in
                            giving the root partition's UUID instead of sd1/sd2 etc. to the boot
                            loader so i can mess with my usb setup without worries.

                            Markus
                          • Martin Michlmayr
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                              * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-08 10:28]:
                              > Except that I end up with a red ready led and no beeps. Is that
                              > expected?

                              There's no LED support at the moment. I'll come with 2.6.18. The
                              beeper should work after you do:
                              modprobe ixp4xx-beeper

                              --
                              Martin Michlmayr
                              http://www.cyrius.com/
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                                * Markus Lindenberg <markus.lindenberg@...> [2006-11-08 17:47]:
                                > > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                                > > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
                                >
                                > Is it possible to change the boot partition after installation? My
                                > understanding is that this is "hardcoded" in apex from the apex-nslu2
                                > package. is this correct?

                                If you do a new installation, you can chose whaterver root partition
                                you wish. The value is not hardcoded anywhere in the installer.
                                During ramdisk generation, the system will take whatever root
                                partition you have and write it into the ramdisk.

                                The only reason I mention that sda1 is needed for the upgrade is
                                because the ramdisk image I make available for upgrades contains sda1.
                                But if the ramdisk is generated from scratch after installation, it
                                will take whatever partition is used on your machine. There's no need
                                to recompile APEX.
                                --
                                Martin Michlmayr
                                http://www.cyrius.com/
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                                  > There's no LED support at the moment. I'll come
                                  > with 2.6.18. The
                                  > beeper should work after you do:
                                  > modprobe ixp4xx-beeper
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Martin Michlmayr
                                  > http://www.cyrius.com/

                                  NSLU2:~# lsmod

                                  Module Size Used by
                                  evdev 10368 0
                                  ixp4xx_beeper 3584 0
                                  ipv6 268072 18
                                  dm_snapshot 16892 0
                                  dm_mirror 20564 0
                                  dm_mod 57712 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
                                  ext3 136808 2
                                  jbd 57844 1 ext3
                                  mbcache 9156 1 ext3
                                  sd_mod 18608 4
                                  ixp400_eth 39868 0
                                  ixp400 1065572 1 ixp400_eth
                                  usb_storage 76075 3
                                  scsi_mod 103792 2 sd_mod,usb_storage
                                  ohci_hcd 17060 0
                                  ehci_hcd 31304 0
                                  usbcore 124964 4
                                  usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

                                  After a reboot the module is not loaded.

                                  NSLU2:~# lsmod

                                  Module Size Used by

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                                    * dA <die_amme@...> [2006-11-08 18:53]:
                                    > After a reboot the module is not loaded.

                                    Yeah, put it in /etc/modules.
                                    --
                                    Martin Michlmayr
                                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                                      > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                                      > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                                      > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                                      > following contents:
                                      >
                                      > do_symlinks = yes
                                      > relative_links = yes
                                      > do_bootloader = no
                                      > do_bootfloppy = no
                                      > do_initrd = yes
                                      > link_in_boot = yes
                                      > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
                                      >
                                      > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                                      > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                                      Martin, I have upgraded my slug from a manual bootstrap using sid to
                                      the current d-i, and I had a problem while trying to install the
                                      linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx package. Since I was using sid, apt-get offered
                                      to install linux-image-2.6.18-2-ixp4xx, and I thought this would not
                                      be a good idea, since the whole procedure was talking about kernel
                                      2.16.17. I did a lot of messing around with apt-get, but in the end I
                                      figured out that I would simply need to add a line to sources.list
                                      with a source for testing:

                                      deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib

                                      and then run:

                                      apt-get update
                                      apt-get -t testing install linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx
                                      linux-image-2.6.17-2-ixp4xx

                                      If you think it's a good idea, I'll add a notice to the wiki about this.

                                      Regards,

                                      Fernando Carolo
                                    • Martin Michlmayr
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                                        * Fernando Carolo <carolo@...> [2006-11-22 16:30]:
                                        > If you think it's a good idea, I'll add a notice to the wiki about this.

                                        My web page says:

                                        | Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure that APT is pointed at etch
                                        | (or testing). Then run:

                                        | apt-get update

                                        But sure, add something to the wiki.
                                        --
                                        Martin Michlmayr
                                        http://www.cyrius.com/
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
                                          > My web page says:
                                          >
                                          > | Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure that APT is pointed at etch
                                          > | (or testing). Then run:
                                          >
                                          > | apt-get update

                                          You're right, but I had my sources list _also_ pointing to sid, so
                                          apt-get offered me the latest version it could find (2.6.18-2). I
                                          guess I could simply change sources.list to use only etch and revert
                                          to sid later, but I found the other way more confortable.

                                          > But sure, add something to the wiki.

                                          Done.

                                          Thanks,

                                          --