The difference between bootstrapping and rc1

  • Ciemon Dunville
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 5, 2006
      I'm sure I can get the answer from Martin, but for the greater good,
      and also my understanding I'd like to know, what's the difference
      between bootstrapping and using the rc1 debian installer?

      By difference I really mean in end product rather than installation process.

      Thanks
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 5, 2006
        * Ciemon Dunville <ciemon@...> [2006-11-05 15:53]:
        > I'm sure I can get the answer from Martin, but for the greater good,
        > and also my understanding I'd like to know, what's the difference
        > between bootstrapping and using the rc1 debian installer?

        The main difference is that DebianSlug uses a different kernel than
        the Debian/debian-installer method and I think (but I'm not sure)
        stores some config values in flash. Apart from that, it's quite
        similar: the debian-installer calls debootstrap which is used for
        manual bootstrapping, but it also does a number of things
        automatically, like configuring the network, installing some standard
        software, etc.
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 5, 2006
          Martin Michlmayr wrote:
          > The main difference is that DebianSlug uses a different kernel than
          > the Debian/debian-installer method and I think (but I'm not sure)
          > stores some config values in flash. Apart from that, it's quite
          > similar: the debian-installer calls debootstrap which is used for
          > manual bootstrapping, but it also does a number of things
          > automatically, like configuring the network, installing some standard
          > software, etc.

          Yeah, SlugOS has the "sysconf" script, which is able to store
          configuration information (including network settings, SSH keys, and any
          other OpenEmbedded configuration files) in the SysConf partition. These
          are then preserved across reflashing the firmware. We could probably do
          something similar using the preseeding support in the d-i image. We
          could even try and make the two interoperable for more than just the
          network settings ...

          But as Martin says, there is no practical difference now.

          -- Rod
        • Ciemon Dunville
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 6, 2006
            Thanks guys, just what I was after.

            Ciemon
          • Kevin Glynn
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
              Martin, all,

              I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug

              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap

              Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
              the Debian/debian-installer setup?

              iiuc I need to change the kernel (and?) and then hopefully it will be
              upgradeable via apt-get.

              cheers

              Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:

              > * Ciemon Dunville <ciemon@...> [2006-11-05 15:53]:
              >> I'm sure I can get the answer from Martin, but for the greater good,
              >> and also my understanding I'd like to know, what's the difference
              >> between bootstrapping and using the rc1 debian installer?
              >
              > The main difference is that DebianSlug uses a different kernel than
              > the Debian/debian-installer method and I think (but I'm not sure)
              > stores some config values in flash. Apart from that, it's quite
              > similar: the debian-installer calls debootstrap which is used for
              > manual bootstrapping, but it also does a number of things
              > automatically, like configuring the network, installing some standard
              > software, etc.
              > --
              > Martin Michlmayr
              > http://www.cyrius.com/

            • dA
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                hi,
                maybe this helps you:

                http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html

                best regards
                dA

                --- Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> schrieb:

                > Martin, all,
                >
                > I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                >

                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                >
                > Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading
                > from this setup to
                > the Debian/debian-installer setup?
                >
                > iiuc I need to change the kernel (and?) and then
                > hopefully it will be
                > upgradeable via apt-get.
                >
                > cheers
                >

                > Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:
                >
                > > * Ciemon Dunville <ciemon@...> [2006-11-05
                > 15:53]:
                > >> I'm sure I can get the answer from Martin, but
                > for the greater good,
                > >> and also my understanding I'd like to know,
                > what's the difference
                > >> between bootstrapping and using the rc1 debian
                > installer?
                > >
                > > The main difference is that DebianSlug uses a
                > different kernel than
                > > the Debian/debian-installer method and I think
                > (but I'm not sure)
                > > stores some config values in flash. Apart from
                > that, it's quite
                > > similar: the debian-installer calls debootstrap
                > which is used for
                > > manual bootstrapping, but it also does a number of
                > things
                > > automatically, like configuring the network,
                > installing some standard
                > > software, etc.
                > > --
                > > Martin Michlmayr
                > > http://www.cyrius.com/
                > >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ciemon Dunville
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                  On 07/11/06, Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> wrote:
                  > I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                  >
                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                  >
                  > Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
                  > the Debian/debian-installer setup?
                  >
                  > iiuc I need to change the kernel (and?) and then hopefully it will be
                  > upgradeable via apt-get.

                  Hi Kevin,

                  This is part of the reason I asked the original question. From the
                  answers Martin and Rod provided, they are essentially the same,
                  although I believe that there's some flashing required to upgrade
                  DebianSlug bootstrap.

                  I don't think there is a way to upgrade from DebianSlug to rc1, I'm
                  just getting ready to start from scratch with Martin's Debian
                  Installer.

                  Ciemon
                • Martin Michlmayr
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                    * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
                    > I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                    > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                    > Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
                    > the Debian/debian-installer setup?

                    If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                    guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                    In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                    following contents:

                    do_symlinks = yes
                    relative_links = yes
                    do_bootloader = no
                    do_bootfloppy = no
                    do_initrd = yes
                    link_in_boot = yes
                    postinst_hook = flash-kernel

                    If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                    or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
                    --
                    Martin Michlmayr
                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                      Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:

                      > * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
                      >> I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                      >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                      >> Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
                      >> the Debian/debian-installer setup?
                      >
                      > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                      > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                      > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                      > following contents:
                      >
                      > do_symlinks = yes
                      > relative_links = yes
                      > do_bootloader = no
                      > do_bootfloppy = no
                      > do_initrd = yes
                      > link_in_boot = yes
                      > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
                      >
                      > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                      > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
                      > --

                      @ritz:~ 4Q> mount
                      /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)

                      woo-hoo!

                      Thanks Martin,

                    • Kevin Price
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                        Hi Martin! Hi all!

                        Martin Michlmayr schrieb:
                        > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                        > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                        BTW, there is one third option, which I have chosen, because it was the quickest
                        method that appeared to me: You can swap the partitions entries in the partition
                        table around, so that the one containing debian ist pointed at from sda1. In
                        other words, use fdisk to delete the sda1 entry and the one for the partition
                        containing debian, and redo the partitions the other way around. My sda2 ist
                        physically located before my sda1 now.

                        In fact, I would even put sda2 (swap) before sda1 (debian) when rebuilding the
                        disk, for performance reasons.

                        Of course this swapping has the potential to ruin all contents of the whole
                        disk, so if anyone tries this, please be extra-careful, save the partition
                        table(s!) and don't blame me if anything goes wrong! Oh, and ... you do have
                        current backups, don't you? ;-)

                        Have a nice day!

                        Kevin

                        --
                        http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/runscript/display-person.cgi?user=214656
                        http://www.amazon.de/gp/registry/wishlist/1STJFWXVXM083/ ICQ#75570407
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 7, 2006
                          On 08/11/06, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
                          > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                          > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html

                          I stand corrected! I'll do this from work today I think.

                          Ciemon
                        • Kevin Glynn
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                            Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> writes:

                            > * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-07 11:55]:
                            >> I installed Debian by bootstrapping from DebianSlug
                            >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
                            >> Has anyone written down instructions for upgrading from this setup to
                            >> the Debian/debian-installer setup?
                            >
                            > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                            > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                            > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                            > following contents:
                            >
                            > do_symlinks = yes
                            > relative_links = yes
                            > do_bootloader = no
                            > do_bootfloppy = no
                            > do_initrd = yes
                            > link_in_boot = yes
                            > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
                            >
                            > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                            > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                            I followed your upgrade instructions. I wasn't quite sure when I was
                            supposed to reattach the external disk. I waited a couple of minutes,
                            plugged it in and rebooted via the power switch.

                            Everything seems fine so far, and:

                            @ritz:~ 4Q> uname -a
                            Linux ritz 2.6.17-2-ixp4xx #1 Thu Sep 14 13:29:00 UTC 2006 armv5tel GNU/Linux

                            Except that I end up with a red ready led and no beeps. Is that
                            expected? Or is there an explanation that would help me track down
                            any problem?

                            cheers
                          • Markus Lindenberg
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                              On 11/8/06, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                              > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                              > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                              Is it possible to change the boot partition after installation? My
                              understanding is that this is "hardcoded" in apex from the apex-nslu2
                              package. is this correct? can i change the boot partition by
                              rebuilding the apex package from debian source? I'm interested in
                              giving the root partition's UUID instead of sd1/sd2 etc. to the boot
                              loader so i can mess with my usb setup without worries.

                              Markus
                            • Martin Michlmayr
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                                * Kevin Glynn <kevin.glynn@...> [2006-11-08 10:28]:
                                > Except that I end up with a red ready led and no beeps. Is that
                                > expected?

                                There's no LED support at the moment. I'll come with 2.6.18. The
                                beeper should work after you do:
                                modprobe ixp4xx-beeper

                                --
                                Martin Michlmayr
                                http://www.cyrius.com/
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                                  * Markus Lindenberg <markus.lindenberg@...> [2006-11-08 17:47]:
                                  > > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                                  > > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.
                                  >
                                  > Is it possible to change the boot partition after installation? My
                                  > understanding is that this is "hardcoded" in apex from the apex-nslu2
                                  > package. is this correct?

                                  If you do a new installation, you can chose whaterver root partition
                                  you wish. The value is not hardcoded anywhere in the installer.
                                  During ramdisk generation, the system will take whatever root
                                  partition you have and write it into the ramdisk.

                                  The only reason I mention that sda1 is needed for the upgrade is
                                  because the ramdisk image I make available for upgrades contains sda1.
                                  But if the ramdisk is generated from scratch after installation, it
                                  will take whatever partition is used on your machine. There's no need
                                  to recompile APEX.
                                  --
                                  Martin Michlmayr
                                  http://www.cyrius.com/
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                                    > There's no LED support at the moment. I'll come
                                    > with 2.6.18. The
                                    > beeper should work after you do:
                                    > modprobe ixp4xx-beeper
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Martin Michlmayr
                                    > http://www.cyrius.com/

                                    NSLU2:~# lsmod

                                    Module Size Used by
                                    evdev 10368 0
                                    ixp4xx_beeper 3584 0
                                    ipv6 268072 18
                                    dm_snapshot 16892 0
                                    dm_mirror 20564 0
                                    dm_mod 57712 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
                                    ext3 136808 2
                                    jbd 57844 1 ext3
                                    mbcache 9156 1 ext3
                                    sd_mod 18608 4
                                    ixp400_eth 39868 0
                                    ixp400 1065572 1 ixp400_eth
                                    usb_storage 76075 3
                                    scsi_mod 103792 2 sd_mod,usb_storage
                                    ohci_hcd 17060 0
                                    ehci_hcd 31304 0
                                    usbcore 124964 4
                                    usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

                                    After a reboot the module is not loaded.

                                    NSLU2:~# lsmod

                                    Module Size Used by

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 8, 2006
                                      * dA <die_amme@...> [2006-11-08 18:53]:
                                      > After a reboot the module is not loaded.

                                      Yeah, put it in /etc/modules.
                                      --
                                      Martin Michlmayr
                                      http://www.cyrius.com/
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                                        > If your root partition is sda1, you can simply follow the upgrade
                                        > guide at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
                                        > In addition, you need to create the file /etc/kernel-img.conf with the
                                        > following contents:
                                        >
                                        > do_symlinks = yes
                                        > relative_links = yes
                                        > do_bootloader = no
                                        > do_bootfloppy = no
                                        > do_initrd = yes
                                        > link_in_boot = yes
                                        > postinst_hook = flash-kernel
                                        >
                                        > If your root partition is not on sda1, you either need to re-install
                                        > or I'd have to prepare another image. The current one hardcodes sda1.

                                        Martin, I have upgraded my slug from a manual bootstrap using sid to
                                        the current d-i, and I had a problem while trying to install the
                                        linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx package. Since I was using sid, apt-get offered
                                        to install linux-image-2.6.18-2-ixp4xx, and I thought this would not
                                        be a good idea, since the whole procedure was talking about kernel
                                        2.16.17. I did a lot of messing around with apt-get, but in the end I
                                        figured out that I would simply need to add a line to sources.list
                                        with a source for testing:

                                        deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib

                                        and then run:

                                        apt-get update
                                        apt-get -t testing install linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx
                                        linux-image-2.6.17-2-ixp4xx

                                        If you think it's a good idea, I'll add a notice to the wiki about this.

                                        Regards,

                                        Fernando Carolo
                                      • Martin Michlmayr
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                                          * Fernando Carolo <carolo@...> [2006-11-22 16:30]:
                                          > If you think it's a good idea, I'll add a notice to the wiki about this.

                                          My web page says:

                                          | Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure that APT is pointed at etch
                                          | (or testing). Then run:

                                          | apt-get update

                                          But sure, add something to the wiki.
                                          --
                                          Martin Michlmayr
                                          http://www.cyrius.com/
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 22, 2006
                                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
                                            > My web page says:
                                            >
                                            > | Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure that APT is pointed at etch
                                            > | (or testing). Then run:
                                            >
                                            > | apt-get update

                                            You're right, but I had my sources list _also_ pointing to sid, so
                                            apt-get offered me the latest version it could find (2.6.18-2). I
                                            guess I could simply change sources.list to use only etch and revert
                                            to sid later, but I found the other way more confortable.

                                            > But sure, add something to the wiki.

                                            Done.

                                            Thanks,

                                            --