No disk 1 or disk 2 LED after Openslug 3.10 upgrade

  • mrkzander
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2006
      I upgraded to openslug 3.10 a few weeks back without problems.
      Except that the disk LED's don't light up.
      The Ethernet light flashes when there is LAN activity. The Status
      light also flashes at times (I almost notice a link between the Status
      light flashing and CPU load) but nothing on the disk LED's.
      I have a USB hub and a USB disk attached and both work.
      Anyone else have this problem?

      Zander.
    • Øyvind Repvik
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2006
        mrkzander wrote:

        > I upgraded to openslug 3.10 a few weeks back without problems.
        > Except that the disk LED's don't light up.
        > The Ethernet light flashes when there is LAN activity. The Status
        > light also flashes at times (I almost notice a link between the Status
        > light flashing and CPU load) but nothing on the disk LED's.

        The disk leds are controlled in software, and they are not (as of yet)
        used for anything. The status led is linked to cpu usage indeed.

        Øyvind
        > I have a USB hub and a USB disk attached and both work.
        > Anyone else have this problem?
        >
        > Zander.

      • Philip Tait
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2006
          I see the same symptoms having installed from scratch. I assumed that
          this was normal...

          Philip

          On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 17:37 +0000, mrkzander wrote:
          > I upgraded to openslug 3.10 a few weeks back without problems.
          > Except that the disk LED's don't light up.
          > The Ethernet light flashes when there is LAN activity. The Status
          > light also flashes at times (I almost notice a link between the
          > Status
          > light flashing and CPU load) but nothing on the disk LED's.
          > I have a USB hub and a USB disk attached and both work.
          > Anyone else have this problem?
          >
          > Zander.

        • Bob Cox
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2006
            In article <eiij44+1181e@...>,
            mrkzander <mark.zander@...> wrote:

            > I upgraded to openslug 3.10 a few weeks back without problems.
            > Except that the disk LED's don't light up.
            > The Ethernet light flashes when there is LAN activity. The Status
            > light also flashes at times (I almost notice a link between the Status
            > light flashing and CPU load) but nothing on the disk LED's.
            > I have a USB hub and a USB disk attached and both work.
            > Anyone else have this problem?

            As others have said, this is normal. However, if you do want the led
            on, you can always control it with

            leds disk-1 on|off
            leds disk-2 on|off

            http://pippin.co.uk/
          • Kirk Wallace
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 10, 2006
              Hello Bob,

              I just installed debian-installer rc1 and I am curious about controlling
              the LEDs. I have the leds command you mentioned below, but when I invoke
              the command, it returns:
              ------
              nslu2:~# leds disk-1 on
              leds: /sys/class/leds/disk-1: no such directory
              ------
              Do you know a source for these class files or how they might be created?

              Thank you, Kirk
              On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 08:15 +0000, Bob Cox wrote:
              > In article <eiij44+1181e@...>,
              > mrkzander <mark.zander@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I upgraded to openslug 3.10 a few weeks back without problems.
              > > Except that the disk LED's don't light up.
              > > The Ethernet light flashes when there is LAN activity. The Status
              > > light also flashes at times (I almost notice a link between the
              > Status
              > > light flashing and CPU load) but nothing on the disk LED's.
              > > I have a USB hub and a USB disk attached and both work.
              > > Anyone else have this problem?
              >
              > As others have said, this is normal. However, if you do want the led
              > on, you can always control it with
              >
              > leds disk-1 on|off
              > leds disk-2 on|off
              >
              > --
              > Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
              > http://pippin.co.uk/

            • Gordon Farquharson
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2006
                Hi Kirk

                On 11/10/06, Kirk Wallace <kwallace@...> wrote:

                > I just installed debian-installer rc1 and I am curious about controlling
                > the LEDs. I have the leds command you mentioned below, but when I invoke
                > the command, it returns:
                > ------
                > nslu2:~# leds disk-1 on
                > leds: /sys/class/leds/disk-1: no such directory
                > ------
                > Do you know a source for these class files or how they might be created?

                http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.nslu2.linux/16118

                Also, currently the kernel has the mapping for disk-1 and disk-2 leds
                swapped. Therefore

                leds disk-1 on

                will turn the disk-2 led on and visa versa. This is a known problem
                and will be fixed.

                Gordon

                --
                Gordon Farquharson
              • dA
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 10, 2006
                  hi for my NSLU2 its the same:

                  leds: /sys/class/leds/disk-2: no such directory

                  NSLU2:~# ll /sys/class/
                  total 0
                  drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 0 Nov 7 06:46 .
                  drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 ..
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 hwmon
                  drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 i2c-adapter
                  drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 i2c-dev
                  drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Nov 11 04:16 input
                  drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 mem
                  drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Nov 7 06:47 misc
                  drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 mtd
                  drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Nov 7 06:47 net
                  drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 pci_bus
                  drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 rtc
                  drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Nov 7 06:46 scsi_device
                  drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Nov 7 06:46 scsi_disk
                  drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Nov 7 06:46 scsi_host
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 spi_master
                  drwxr-xr-x 583 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 tty
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Nov 7 06:46 usb
                  drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 0 Nov 7 06:46 usb_device
                  drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Nov 7 06:46 usb_host
                  drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Nov 7 06:46 vc

                  best regards
                  dA

                  --- Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...>
                  schrieb:

                  > Hi Kirk
                  >
                  > On 11/10/06, Kirk Wallace
                  > <kwallace@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I just installed debian-installer rc1 and I am
                  > curious about controlling
                  > > the LEDs. I have the leds command you mentioned
                  > below, but when I invoke
                  > > the command, it returns:
                  > > ------
                  > > nslu2:~# leds disk-1 on
                  > > leds: /sys/class/leds/disk-1: no such directory
                  > > ------
                  > > Do you know a source for these class files or how
                  > they might be created?

                  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.nslu2.linux/16118

                  > Also, currently the kernel has the mapping for
                  > disk-1 and disk-2 leds
                  > swapped. Therefore
                  >
                  > leds disk-1 on
                  >
                  > will turn the disk-2 led on and visa versa. This is
                  > a known problem
                  > and will be fixed.
                  >
                  > Gordon
                  >
                  > --
                  > Gordon Farquharson

                • Gordon Farquharson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 10, 2006
                    On 11/10/06, dA <die_amme@...> wrote:

                    > hi for my NSLU2 its the same:
                    >
                    > leds: /sys/class/leds/disk-2: no such directory

                    Debian/NSLU2 does not have led support yet. Please have a look at the
                    message to which I referred in the previous email and which I have
                    listed below (again).

                    > --- Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...>

                    > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.nslu2.linux/16118

                    The next version of the Debian installer for etch will have 2.6.18 and
                    therefore led support.

                    Gordon

                    --
                    Gordon Farquharson