Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Advice on getting Debian working

  • Martin Michlmayr
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2006
      * David Given <dg@...> [2006-05-06 12:56]:
      > bug that means that if you don't configure *all* the networking
      > parameters, then the Debian networking won't start up. (I'd missed
      > the DNS settings.) So I know have it all working fine.

      You'll always need DNS, but one bug related to network parameters has
      been fixed in the meantime.

      > Next problem, though: I'd rather like to rebuild my kernel (in order
      > to change drivers). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any
      > information about what kernel.conf to use, what patches I need to
      > apply, how to build a firmware image, how to integrate the built-in
      > ethernet driver, etc --- can anyone supply any pointers? All I can
      > find are references to MasterMakefile, which is almost certainly not

      MasterMakerfile is a NSLU2-Linux thing and I'm not sure whether it
      applies to Debian.

      With Debian, you basically need to download the linux-2.6 source
      package and install the build-dependencies (apt-get source linux-2.6;
      sudo apt-get build-dep linux-2.6). Then edit
      debian/arch/arm/config.ixp4xx and also edit debian/arch/arm/defines
      and uncomment all flavours except for ixp4xx. Then compile and when
      it's done, install the linux-kernel*.deb file - it will automatically
      be written to flash. (Assuming you've first upgraded to 2.6.17 using
      the instructions from http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html)

      However, I suggest an easier way: tell me what modules you need and
      I'll enable them.
      --
      Martin Michlmayr
      http://www.cyrius.com/