Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2/Linux queries from a soon-to-be 'slug' owner

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
      Tim Walker wrote:
      > - It looks like procmail hasn't yet been 'ported' to Unslung (it's in
      > the "wishlist" on the wiki). Has anyone managed to put this on their
      > slug, and if so, how? (This would really help me, as my existing
      > mailserver setup uses procmail to sort incoming messages, and I'd like
      > to recreate my current mailserver setup as far as possible.)

      Your first contribution to the community will be to edit that wiki page
      to indicate that Procmail is indeed available for Unslung (as part of
      the Optware packages feed).

      > - I'm a little unclear about the best disk partitioning arrangements,
      > and what is/isn't possible with this setup. My current server has two
      > hard drives, with the /home and /public (i.e. file store) directories
      > mounted from the second drive (partitions hdb1 and hdb2 respectively).
      > Separating these two directories from the OS installation, makes it
      > easier to reinstall the OS if wanted/needed. With the 'slug' and
      > Unslung, is it possible to ensure the /home and file store directories
      > are kept separate from the rest of the filesystem (e.g. on the main
      > disk), with the OS files on another drive or partition (e.g. a USB
      > flash drive - see below)? Or is this not really necessary?
      >
      > - On a related note: I've read that it is possible to have the /
      > (root) filesystem on a flash drive, and the rest of the filesystem on
      > the 'main' drive. Is this a good idea in your view, or 'overkill'?

      Just put it all on one drive - the system files are such a small amount
      (compared to your data), that it doesn't really matter.

      > - Is GNU Screen included in Unslung by default, and if not, how easy
      > is it to add?

      Checking http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/,
      it looks like it is.

      > Many thanks for any help you can give, and I hope to join the ranks of
      > the NSLU2 owners very soon :-)

      Welcome.

      -- Rod
    • Tim Walker
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2006
        Hi Rod,

        Just to say thanks for your responses below - I've been away for a few
        days so couldn't get back to you. I'll see if I can update the wiki
        once I get procmail working on the slug... er, when I actually
        **have** one (birthday next week :-) ).

        Much appreciated...

        Tim.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@...>