NSLU2/Linux queries from a soon-to-be 'slug' owner

  • Tim Walker
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
      I only just found out earlier this week about the NSLU2 and its
      'hackability' (for want of a better word), and have decided what I
      want for my birthday this month :-) I have had a good read through the
      FAQ and wiki at the NSLU2-LINUX site, and wondered if anyone could
      please help with a couple of outstanding queries? (Apologies in
      advance for a slightly lengthy first post.)

      First off, a quick rundown of what I have in mind for the 'slug' once
      I own one:

      On my home network, I have an old Viglen P3-550 running Debian (Sarge,
      I think - can't remember the codenames), which acts as the network
      server. The services I've managed to get running on it until now are:

      - SSH server for external access
      - e-mail 'dropbox' (using fetchmail, Dovecot, Postfix and procmail),
      which polls various POP3 accounts and downloads everything to users'
      accounts, for access via IMAP
      - development Web/Intranet server (Apache, PHP, MySQL)
      - central file store (photos, music, etc.) for our home network (NFS
      only; have had problems with Samba)
      - Dynamic DNS client (no-ip.org)

      Aside from the trouble I've had getting the above working (IMAP and
      PHP went live just last week), and the current refusal of the machine
      even to finish booting (don't worry about that), I've been concerned
      for some time about the power requirements of having the machine
      switched on 24/7 for days at a time (it's also a six-year-old PC, and
      who knows when it might fail?), and have thought for a while about a
      more efficient solution which 'just works'.

      Anyway, I found out about the NSLU2 earlier this week, and it looks as
      if this is the answer to many of the problems. According to the
      NSLU2-LINUX wiki, virtually all the software I would want to use has
      already been ported, or if not, there is usually a likely alternative.
      Furthermore, the 'slug' looks as if it will be far more economical
      electricity-wise, which is a definite plus!

      The outstanding questions I have at this point are:

      - It looks like procmail hasn't yet been 'ported' to Unslung (it's in
      the "wishlist" on the wiki). Has anyone managed to put this on their
      slug, and if so, how? (This would really help me, as my existing
      mailserver setup uses procmail to sort incoming messages, and I'd like
      to recreate my current mailserver setup as far as possible.)

      - I'm a little unclear about the best disk partitioning arrangements,
      and what is/isn't possible with this setup. My current server has two
      hard drives, with the /home and /public (i.e. file store) directories
      mounted from the second drive (partitions hdb1 and hdb2 respectively).
      Separating these two directories from the OS installation, makes it
      easier to reinstall the OS if wanted/needed. With the 'slug' and
      Unslung, is it possible to ensure the /home and file store directories
      are kept separate from the rest of the filesystem (e.g. on the main
      disk), with the OS files on another drive or partition (e.g. a USB
      flash drive - see below)? Or is this not really necessary?

      - On a related note: I've read that it is possible to have the /
      (root) filesystem on a flash drive, and the rest of the filesystem on
      the 'main' drive. Is this a good idea in your view, or 'overkill'?

      - Is GNU Screen included in Unslung by default, and if not, how easy
      is it to add?

      Many thanks for any help you can give, and I hope to join the ranks of
      the NSLU2 owners very soon :-)

      Tim.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
        Tim Walker wrote:
        > - It looks like procmail hasn't yet been 'ported' to Unslung (it's in
        > the "wishlist" on the wiki). Has anyone managed to put this on their
        > slug, and if so, how? (This would really help me, as my existing
        > mailserver setup uses procmail to sort incoming messages, and I'd like
        > to recreate my current mailserver setup as far as possible.)

        Your first contribution to the community will be to edit that wiki page
        to indicate that Procmail is indeed available for Unslung (as part of
        the Optware packages feed).

        > - I'm a little unclear about the best disk partitioning arrangements,
        > and what is/isn't possible with this setup. My current server has two
        > hard drives, with the /home and /public (i.e. file store) directories
        > mounted from the second drive (partitions hdb1 and hdb2 respectively).
        > Separating these two directories from the OS installation, makes it
        > easier to reinstall the OS if wanted/needed. With the 'slug' and
        > Unslung, is it possible to ensure the /home and file store directories
        > are kept separate from the rest of the filesystem (e.g. on the main
        > disk), with the OS files on another drive or partition (e.g. a USB
        > flash drive - see below)? Or is this not really necessary?
        >
        > - On a related note: I've read that it is possible to have the /
        > (root) filesystem on a flash drive, and the rest of the filesystem on
        > the 'main' drive. Is this a good idea in your view, or 'overkill'?

        Just put it all on one drive - the system files are such a small amount
        (compared to your data), that it doesn't really matter.

        > - Is GNU Screen included in Unslung by default, and if not, how easy
        > is it to add?

        Checking http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/,
        it looks like it is.

        > Many thanks for any help you can give, and I hope to join the ranks of
        > the NSLU2 owners very soon :-)

        Welcome.

        -- Rod
      • Tim Walker
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2006
          Hi Rod,

          Just to say thanks for your responses below - I've been away for a few
          days so couldn't get back to you. I'll see if I can update the wiki
          once I get procmail working on the slug... er, when I actually
          **have** one (birthday next week :-) ).

          Much appreciated...

          Tim.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@...>