Re: My slug is totally broken...

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "WolfSK" <wolfsk@...> wrote:

      > I have unslung to a 512MB Flash Drive (Memory Stick). It is the same
      > one I used for the initial unsling operation. I have repartitioned and
      > reformatted it, using the XP disk manager, before using it this time
      > around.
      >
      > If it helps, I have a boot-CD of Ubuntu, if you want me to check out
      > any files on the Flash Drive, I could use that. (although I could
      > probably do with some instructions...)

      I had a similar problem with a Transcend 2GB flash - sometimes on
      startup the flash drive would power off when the slug initialises its
      USB ports.

      For some reason, with some flash drives, the flash drive initially
      powers up, then when the firmware initialises the USB ports (prior to
      boot from flash/disk). then the flash drive powers down, and the
      firmware cannot boot the Ext3 filesystem from the flash drive.

      I now have a PQI 1GB flash and all is well.

      I only discovered this because the Transcend flash drive has a light
      on it that stays on while the device is active, and goes off when
      'powered down' by the USB port - like when you eject in windows, the
      light goes off. The PQI unit only flashes the light on data access, so
      no way to know that it's powered up or not but it works fine.
    • WolfSK
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2006
        I have been using the exact same Flash Drive for running the Unslung
        NSLU2 for a couple of months, so I don't think there is anything wrong
        with the hardware

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
          Nobody can help?

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "WolfSK" <wolfsk@...> wrote:

          > I have been using the exact same Flash Drive for running the Unslung
          > NSLU2 for a couple of months, so I don't think there is anything wrong
          > with the hardware
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Simon" <simon.digital@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "WolfSK" <wolfsk@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have unslung to a 512MB Flash Drive (Memory Stick). It is the same
          > > > one I used for the initial unsling operation. I have
          repartitioned and
          > > > reformatted it, using the XP disk manager, before using it this time
          > > > around.
          > > >
          > > > If it helps, I have a boot-CD of Ubuntu, if you want me to check out
          > > > any files on the Flash Drive, I could use that. (although I could
          > > > probably do with some instructions...)
          > > >

          > > I had a similar problem with a Transcend 2GB flash - sometimes on
          > > startup the flash drive would power off when the slug initialises its
          > > USB ports.
          > >
          > > For some reason, with some flash drives, the flash drive initially
          > > powers up, then when the firmware initialises the USB ports (prior to
          > > boot from flash/disk). then the flash drive powers down, and the
          > > firmware cannot boot the Ext3 filesystem from the flash drive.
          > >
          > > I now have a PQI 1GB flash and all is well.
          > >
          > > I only discovered this because the Transcend flash drive has a light
          > > on it that stays on while the device is active, and goes off when
          > > 'powered down' by the USB port - like when you eject in windows, the
          > > light goes off. The PQI unit only flashes the light on data access, so
          > > no way to know that it's powered up or not but it works fine.

        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
            I'm afraid not without much more detail. I know you've been struggling with
            a few things, but at this point I've certainly lost track of what you've
            tried and how you've addressed the issues you've encountered.

            I would suggest that you reflash with a fresh copy of Unslung 6.8-beta, and
            then reformat that flash device back to a single FAT32 partition -- double
            check that the device reports it's full capacity so that you know that the
            partition covers the entire device. Then try the unsling process again.

            I just responded to the nslu2-general list ("Re: Newb needs help with root
            password") with a lengthy process to another person with troubles booting up
            in Unslung mode -- please refer to that message to the list for some
            suggestions on how to capture the info we'll need. I'll also repeat that
            the IRC channel is a great place for more interactive assistance.

            Mike (mwester)