Re: [nslu2-linux] Use ISO-8859-1 instead of CP437/850

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think that ISO-8859-1 is
      what is used for the native ext-3 formatted drives on the NSLU2. It has
      language settings on the Admin web gui pages, but AFAIK, those settings are
      only used when it mounts FAT and NTFS volumes.
      Mike (mwester)

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        OK. My problem is this:
        My Unslunged (6.8 beta) NSLU2 is used for Samba against a WinXP
        computer and a Xbox. I've installed the CP850 kernel module, and I've
        also installed proftpd on it.

        When I create dirs or files on it from the XP computer, the xbox and
        the computer shows the swedish special characters (åäö) correct, but
        not from an ftp client. If I create the same dirs from the ftp client,
        it shows them correctly, but not the XP or the Xbox.

        If i connect through SSH to the with Putty, and tell PuTTY to
        translate the chars to CP850, then it also shows the dirs and files
        created from the computer correct, but the once created from a ftp
        client only displays correctly if I tell PuTTY to translate to ISO-8850-1.

        The smb.conf has the entries:
        unix charset = CP850
        dos charset = CP850

        Which is what I changed it to in the Web admin interface.

        Anyone who has a solution to my problem?

        Kind regards,
        Stefan

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
        wrote:

        > Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think that ISO-8859-1 is
        > what is used for the native ext-3 formatted drives on the NSLU2. It has
        > language settings on the Admin web gui pages, but AFAIK, those
        settings are
        > only used when it mounts FAT and NTFS volumes.
        > Mike (mwester)

      • Bernhard Walle
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hello,

          * Mike (mwester) <mwester@...> [2006-11-02 04:58]:
          > Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think that ISO-8859-1 is
          > what is used for the native ext-3 formatted drives on the NSLU2. It has
          > language settings on the Admin web gui pages, but AFAIK, those settings are
          > only used when it mounts FAT and NTFS volumes.

          I think you must tweak the Samba configuration. ext2/ext3 doesn't
          honor any charset setting in filenames, it just writes the bytes you
          give them. Samba is translating this for Windows.

          Bernhard
          --
          Unser Zeitalter ist stolz auf Maschinen die denken und mißtrauisch gegen
          Menschen, die es versuchen.
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
            What about if you are looking at the files directly from say, a cshell or bash
            shell prompt? or even through KDE?

            Ted
            (haveing a heck of a time getting cyrilic charaters to display properly)