Re: Unslung future - is there interest?

  • braydw
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby"
      <list.nslu2-linux@...> wrote:

      > A note to anyone intending to reply to this thread - please do not
      turn the thread into a "wishlist" of Unslung features or Optware
      packages. This question is about the overall high-level strategy -
      please do not defocus the discussion with low-level wishlist replies
      (feel free to send those in a different thread, changing the subject).
      > -- Rod

      Mike: I vote for Option B.
      Unslung is a great linux to get a NSLU2 up and running as ones
      'personal' linux. As such it can serve many people and uses.
      It would be a shame to abandon it in favor of a grand-and-glorious
      linux. There are already too many of them.

      There are however several bugs and documentation problems that cause
      problems with the new user. The BusyBox is bad -- so the new user
      doesn't have a 'more' or 'less', or 'awk' working, etc. to help get
      started.

      The documentation on which packages to download to get started is
      misleading and incomplete. I had to ask you how to start over with my
      512MB flash dive because I filled it up with development packages I
      didn't need or want.

      Some simple changes in package organization and documentation could
      make Unlsung a really wonderful Linux. To create a popular software
      package one has to create documentation to get the new user started
      and happy. Once that is done the software product grows and succeeds.
      Unslung is well on its way to that. Just a little more tweaking and
      it will be the 'best little Linux'. Lets not abandon it now! Lets
      improve the fundamentals to help the new user.

      -- David
    • Steve Bainbridge
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
        wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > We eagerly await the next release of Linksys' firmware for the NSLU-2.
        > However, despite some tantalizing rumors some time ago, there's
        really been
        > no clear indication that Linksys has any intention to do so. After
        all, the
        > NSLU-2 is "ancient" by industry standards, and while we'd all very
        much like
        > to see some bugs fixed, and perhaps have the disk1-disk2 swap fiasco
        > introduced in the R63 firmware fixed, it's hard to see how doing so will
        > boost Linksys' bottom line at this point.
        >
        > So, this leaves us with the question of what to do with Unslung?
        >
        > A) Leave it as is -- it serves its purpose well, and those who find
        that it
        > is lacking in some way should move to one of the Openslug distributions.
        >
        > B) Begin development on a bugfix release ("Unslung 6.10", perhaps) to
        > address some set of concerns or usability issues.
        >
        > C) Begin development on a replacement firmware to provide Linksys-like
        > functionality and web-based GUI tools on an Openslug base.
        >
        > (Please note that I'm not personally offering to do the
        development and
        > documentation -- that's what you folks will be doing for a community
        project
        > such as this.)
        >
        > Pros/Cons? Your thoughts? I'll hold my thoughts on this for a while
        > because I'd like to hear from you!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike (mwester)
        > Unslung Release Manager

        I vote for Option C).

        Whilst it's true that the hardware is a bit limited, it does serve
        it's purpose pretty well. The recent hardware enhancement by Linksys
        of de-underclocking the CPU seems to suggest at least it's not totally
        dormant. Having a more generic Linux set-up I think is more friendly
        to everyone - the beginners will start with the GUI and then some will
        use the command line and no-one will get confused with the diversion
        scripts and the /opt directory structure. Another obvious benefit is
        that the development does not need to be just for the Slug, moving to
        other hardware as it becomes available would be much easier.

        Regardless of the future direction I think most of us users are
        eternally grateful for the developers giving up their free time to
        produce Unslung and the other variants.

        Steve
      • M. Vamvakaris
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
          I vote for C. If possible development of a new 2.6 kernel based firmware would be great.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
            SlugOS (OpenSlug) is already based on a 2.6 kernel. Option C. is about
            userland applications, not about the kernel (it says "on an OpenSlug base").

            -- Rod

            M. Vamvakaris wrote:

            > I vote for C. If possible development of a new 2.6 kernel based firmware
            > would be great.
            >
            > Mike

          • Camstone Fox
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
              Mike,

              I'm not really a developer, more of a well pleased user. I don't see
              it really "dropping away" as you say, as I am also trial running
              V23R72 that I snagged off their beta test site. Personally, I do think
              they will jump to a wireless model before long (combined router,
              printserver and fileserver.)

              My preference is therefore:

              B) Begin development on a bugfix release ("Unslung 6.10", perhaps) to
              address some set of concerns or usability issues.

              But focus on long term stability, allowing it to go into a set of
              compiled archieves... with good documentation, so that the device
              provides expanded use in the future, as well as now.

              Now, I have to go back and unslung my NSLU2 again.

              - Peter Morrison in Washington DC USA
            • nick thompson
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                Mike (mwester) wrote:

                > Folks,
                >
                > We eagerly await the next release of Linksys' firmware for the NSLU-2.
                > However, despite some tantalizing rumors some time ago, there's really
                > been
                > no clear indication that Linksys has any intention to do so. After
                > all, the
                > NSLU-2 is "ancient" by industry standards, and while we'd all very
                > much like
                > to see some bugs fixed, and perhaps have the disk1-disk2 swap fiasco
                > introduced in the R63 firmware fixed, it's hard to see how doing so will
                > boost Linksys' bottom line at this point.
                >
                > So, this leaves us with the question of what to do with Unslung?
                >
                > A) Leave it as is -- it serves its purpose well, and those who find
                > that it
                > is lacking in some way should move to one of the Openslug distributions.
                >
                > B) Begin development on a bugfix release ("Unslung 6.10", perhaps) to
                > address some set of concerns or usability issues.
                >
                > C) Begin development on a replacement firmware to provide Linksys-like
                > functionality and web-based GUI tools on an Openslug base.
                >
                > (Please note that I'm not personally offering to do the development and
                > documentation -- that's what you folks will be doing for a community
                > project
                > such as this.)
                >
                > Pros/Cons? Your thoughts? I'll hold my thoughts on this for a while
                > because I'd like to hear from you!
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Mike (mwester)
                > Unslung Release Manager

                PLEASE KEEP DEVELOPING!

                I am NSLU2 obsessed, I have two slugs, one openslug / gentoo and one
                unslung machine, both with serial port mods and de-underclocked...

                interest here!

                nick

                "All unix, all the time."

                http://npt.ath.cx