My slug is totally broken...

  • WolfSK
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 29, 2006
      My NSLU2 was running unslung happily but some messed up installations
      and a power failure had the best of it. Now I'm trying to fix it and
      things are getting worse...

      The current status:
      I have flashed Firmware Version V2.3R25 (ie original Linksys, I'll
      unslug later)
      I have done the ResetSysConf thing (more than once)

      No disks are attached.

      I can access the web-interface of the NSLU2. Here the first strange
      thing is that the Unslung Logo (with the Tux) still appears. How can
      this be?

      I can enter the administration section with admin:admin, but when I
      want to go to the Disk page (Management/disk_fs.htm) I get the error
      message "Incorrect user name or password."

      What should I do?
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 29, 2006
        Your browser is caching stuff. Empty the browser cache, and you should see
        the correct logo. As for the second issue, try formatting the disk back to
        a single FAT or NTFS volume before you re-attach it to the slug (assuming
        that you are willing to lose all the data on it, of course).

        Mike (mwester)

        > My NSLU2 was running unslung happily but some messed up installations
        > and a power failure had the best of it. Now I'm trying to fix it and
        > things are getting worse...
        >
        > The current status:
        > I have flashed Firmware Version V2.3R25 (ie original Linksys, I'll
        > unslug later)
        > I have done the ResetSysConf thing (more than once)
        >
        > No disks are attached.
        >
        > I can access the web-interface of the NSLU2. Here the first strange
        > thing is that the Unslung Logo (with the Tux) still appears. How can
        > this be?
        >
        > I can enter the administration section with admin:admin, but when I
        > want to go to the Disk page (Management/disk_fs.htm) I get the error
        > message "Incorrect user name or password."
        >
        > What should I do?
      • WolfSK
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 29, 2006
          I have emptied my browser cache and the Tux Logo is gone (thank you
          Jeroen). Also I can now access the disk utility...

          So I power down the slug and plug a 512 MB USB Flash Drive, formatted
          FAT32, into Disk 2:

          The nslu2 homepage says:
          Disk 2/Flash: Ready, 493MB (100% Free)

          The Disk Utility (Management/disk_fs.htm) says:
          Disk 2 Status: Not Installed

          I can access the flash drive from my pc over the network...

          How can I format it with the NSLU2?
        • WolfSK
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2006
            I had repartitioned and reformatted the Flash Drive already. If I
            click on "Format Disk 2" I get "No disk available."

            > As for the second issue, try formatting the disk back to
            > a single FAT or NTFS volume before you re-attach it to the slug
            (assuming
            > that you are willing to lose all the data on it, of course).
            >
            > Mike (mwester)

          • WolfSK
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 29, 2006
              I have upgraded to V2.3R63, and seems to have solved the problem...

              Disk 2 status is now "Formatted (FAT16/32)"

              If I try to format it again (just to be sure) I get "Disk 2 isn't HDD,
              cannot format it!"

              Is that normal?

              Trying to do a Scandisk gives: "No Disk Available"

              Can I unsling to this flash drive?

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2006

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2006
                  The stock Linksys firmware cannot format flash devices. It makes this
                  determination on device size; anything smaller than 10GB (IIRC) is
                  considered to be not a hard drive and thus cannot be formatted.

                  The README describes the installation sequence that avoids this problem -
                  flash the Unslung firmware first, then format the device.

                  Mike (mwester)

                  > I have upgraded to V2.3R63, and seems to have solved the problem...
                  >
                  > Disk 2 status is now "Formatted (FAT16/32)"
                  >
                  > If I try to format it again (just to be sure) I get "Disk 2 isn't HDD,
                  > cannot format it!"
                  >
                  > Is that normal?
                  >
                  > Trying to do a Scandisk gives: "No Disk Available"
                  >
                  > Can I unsling to this flash drive?
                  >
                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "WolfSK" <wolfsk@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have emptied my browser cache and the Tux Logo is gone (thank you
                  > > Jeroen). Also I can now access the disk utility...
                  > >
                  > > So I power down the slug and plug a 512 MB USB Flash Drive, formatted
                  > > FAT32, into Disk 2:
                  > >
                  > > The nslu2 homepage says:
                  > > Disk 2/Flash: Ready, 493MB (100% Free)
                  > >
                  > > The Disk Utility (Management/disk_fs.htm) says:
                  > > Disk 2 Status: Not Installed
                  > >
                  > > I can access the flash drive from my pc over the network...
                  > >
                  > > How can I format it with the NSLU2?
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • WolfSK
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 30, 2006
                    Right, the Unslung firmware lets me format the flash drive... but:

                    The disk utility says "formatting" but after is has finished it
                    returns to "Not formatted"

                    I have checked the flash drive on my pc and the it looks well
                    formatted with the three partitions...

                    What next?

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
                    wrote:

                    > The stock Linksys firmware cannot format flash devices. It makes this
                    > determination on device size; anything smaller than 10GB (IIRC) is
                    > considered to be not a hard drive and thus cannot be formatted.
                    >
                    > The README describes the installation sequence that avoids this
                    problem -
                    > flash the Unslung firmware first, then format the device.
                    >
                    > Mike (mwester)

                  • Mike (mwester)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 30, 2006
                      Might your language settings be something other than the default?
                      (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/KnownProblems) I've seen that
                      cause a similar problem.

                      I presume you've tried rebooting the NSLU2 without any disks, plugging in
                      the flash drive, waiting a couple of minutes, and then checking again?

                      Mike (mwester)

                      > Right, the Unslung firmware lets me format the flash drive... but:
                      >
                      > The disk utility says "formatting" but after is has finished it
                      > returns to "Not formatted"
                      >
                      > I have checked the flash drive on my pc and the it looks well
                      > formatted with the three partitions...
                      >
                      > What next?
                      >
                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The stock Linksys firmware cannot format flash devices. It makes this
                      > > determination on device size; anything smaller than 10GB (IIRC) is
                      > > considered to be not a hard drive and thus cannot be formatted.
                      > >
                      > > The README describes the installation sequence that avoids this
                      > problem -
                      > > flash the Unslung firmware first, then format the device.
                      > >
                      > > Mike (mwester)

                    • Darren Guiden
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 30, 2006
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "WolfSK" <wolfsk@...> wrote:

                        > Right, the Unslung firmware lets me format the flash drive... but:
                        >
                        > The disk utility says "formatting" but after is has finished it
                        > returns to "Not formatted"
                        >
                        > I have checked the flash drive on my pc and the it looks well
                        > formatted with the three partitions...
                        >
                        > What next?

                        I had this with my 1gb flash drive.

                        I fixed it by plugging the flash drive into my Windows machine,
                        going to WinXP disk manager and deleting all the partitions from the
                        flash disk and then reinserting it into the slug, restarting the
                        slug then formatting...

                        HTH

                        d.
                      • WolfSK
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 30, 2006
                          Thanks for your help!

                          The language settings were ok, but I just clicked on Save anyway. This
                          made the slug reboot and it also went back to the original ip-address.
                          But now it recognizes the disk as EXT3 (Ready, 238MB (98% Free))

                          However...

                          The next step is to activate telnet: When I try to do that I get,
                          after clicking on the button, "Error: unable to save data to file"

                          Any further ideas?

                          wrote:

                          > Might your language settings be something other than the default?
                          > (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/KnownProblems) I've seen that
                          > cause a similar problem.
                          >
                          > I presume you've tried rebooting the NSLU2 without any disks,
                          plugging in
                          > the flash drive, waiting a couple of minutes, and then checking again?
                          >
                          > Mike (mwester)

                        • WolfSK
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
                            > The next step is to activate telnet: When I try to do that I get,
                            > after clicking on the button, "Error: unable to save data to file"

                            I can get around this problem by booting the slug without a drive
                            attached... This way I have even been able to unsling to the flash drive.

                            But as soon as I boot with the drive attached, I get the same error
                            message, which makes the whole thing useless, as I need to access
                            telnet to install any packages etc.

                            HELP!
                          • Mike (mwester)
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
                              > HELP!

                              We need more info, I'm afraid. What sort of device have you unslung to, did
                              you encounter any issues when performing the initial flash and the "unsling"
                              operation?

                              The only thing I can think of right now is that something has gone very
                              wrong indeed as it relates to the mounting of the root filesystem, if one
                              assumes that the message you are seeing is referring to the inability to
                              modify the /etc/inetd.conf file to start telnetd.

                              Did you start with a clean disk device, or was it previously formatted by
                              the NSLU2?

                              Mike (mwester)

                              > > The next step is to activate telnet: When I try to do that I get,
                              > > after clicking on the button, "Error: unable to save data to file"
                              > >

                              > I can get around this problem by booting the slug without a drive
                              > attached... This way I have even been able to unsling to the flash drive.
                              >
                              > But as soon as I boot with the drive attached, I get the same error
                              > message, which makes the whole thing useless, as I need to access
                              > telnet to install any packages etc.
                              >
                              > HELP!
                            • WolfSK
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
                                I have unslung to a 512MB Flash Drive (Memory Stick). It is the same
                                one I used for the initial unsling operation. I have repartitioned and
                                reformatted it, using the XP disk manager, before using it this time
                                around.

                                If it helps, I have a boot-CD of Ubuntu, if you want me to check out
                                any files on the Flash Drive, I could use that. (although I could
                                probably do with some instructions...)

                                wrote:

                                > > HELP!
                                >
                                > We need more info, I'm afraid. What sort of device have you unslung
                                to, did
                                > you encounter any issues when performing the initial flash and the
                                "unsling"
                                > operation?
                                >
                                > The only thing I can think of right now is that something has gone very
                                > wrong indeed as it relates to the mounting of the root filesystem,
                                if one
                                > assumes that the message you are seeing is referring to the inability to
                                > modify the /etc/inetd.conf file to start telnetd.
                                >
                                > Did you start with a clean disk device, or was it previously
                                formatted by
                                > the NSLU2?
                                >
                                > Mike (mwester)

                              • Simon
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 2, 2006
                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "WolfSK" <wolfsk@...> wrote:

                                  > I have unslung to a 512MB Flash Drive (Memory Stick). It is the same
                                  > one I used for the initial unsling operation. I have repartitioned and
                                  > reformatted it, using the XP disk manager, before using it this time
                                  > around.
                                  >
                                  > If it helps, I have a boot-CD of Ubuntu, if you want me to check out
                                  > any files on the Flash Drive, I could use that. (although I could
                                  > probably do with some instructions...)

                                  I had a similar problem with a Transcend 2GB flash - sometimes on
                                  startup the flash drive would power off when the slug initialises its
                                  USB ports.

                                  For some reason, with some flash drives, the flash drive initially
                                  powers up, then when the firmware initialises the USB ports (prior to
                                  boot from flash/disk). then the flash drive powers down, and the
                                  firmware cannot boot the Ext3 filesystem from the flash drive.

                                  I now have a PQI 1GB flash and all is well.

                                  I only discovered this because the Transcend flash drive has a light
                                  on it that stays on while the device is active, and goes off when
                                  'powered down' by the USB port - like when you eject in windows, the
                                  light goes off. The PQI unit only flashes the light on data access, so
                                  no way to know that it's powered up or not but it works fine.
                                • WolfSK
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 2, 2006
                                    I have been using the exact same Flash Drive for running the Unslung
                                    NSLU2 for a couple of months, so I don't think there is anything wrong
                                    with the hardware

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
                                      Nobody can help?

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
                                        I'm afraid not without much more detail. I know you've been struggling with
                                        a few things, but at this point I've certainly lost track of what you've
                                        tried and how you've addressed the issues you've encountered.

                                        I would suggest that you reflash with a fresh copy of Unslung 6.8-beta, and
                                        then reformat that flash device back to a single FAT32 partition -- double
                                        check that the device reports it's full capacity so that you know that the
                                        partition covers the entire device. Then try the unsling process again.

                                        I just responded to the nslu2-general list ("Re: Newb needs help with root
                                        password") with a lengthy process to another person with troubles booting up
                                        in Unslung mode -- please refer to that message to the list for some
                                        suggestions on how to capture the info we'll need. I'll also repeat that
                                        the IRC channel is a great place for more interactive assistance.

                                        Mike (mwester)