Is the Debian Bootstrap currently trashed?

  • g0trt
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 29, 2006
      Hi all,

      I cannot get Debian to "work".

      I've a brand new nslu2, I've flashed the ROM with DebianSlug firmware,
      and bootstrapped Debian in accordance with
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap

      However, when I reboot, there are no ethernet comms.

      Having rebooted the slug into DebianSlug (without the usb drive
      attached) I can read /var/log/messages [1] which doesn't seem to
      suggest there are any problems.

      Depending on how you read it, some of the wiki pages suggest that "the
      unofficial images that include a driver for the built-in Ethernet
      device no longer work". Is that the case?

      Thanks..

      Ciemon

      [1] http://waitingcloud.org/wiki/index.php?n=Slug.Messages
    • Philip Tait
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29, 2006
        I had that same problem after I installed 'Sarge'. I then installed
        'Sid', and have seen no problems so far.

        Philip

        On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 11:56 +0000, g0trt wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I cannot get Debian to "work".
        >
        > I've a brand new nslu2, I've flashed the ROM with DebianSlug firmware,
        > and bootstrapped Debian in accordance with
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
        >
        > However, when I reboot, there are no ethernet comms.
        >
        > Having rebooted the slug into DebianSlug (without the usb drive
        > attached) I can read /var/log/messages [1] which doesn't seem to
        > suggest there are any problems.
        >
        > Depending on how you read it, some of the wiki pages suggest that "the
        > unofficial images that include a driver for the built-in Ethernet
        > device no longer work". Is that the case?
        >
        > Thanks..
        >
        > Ciemon
        >
        > [1] http://waitingcloud.org/wiki/index.php?n=Slug.Messages

      • Ciemon Dunville
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2006
          Thanks Philip,

          I'm trying to install Sid right now.

          Cie

          On 29/10/06, Philip Tait <philip@...> wrote:
          > I had that same problem after I installed 'Sarge'. I then installed
          > 'Sid', and have seen no problems so far.
          >
          > Philip
        • Fernando Carolo
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 30, 2006
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "g0trt" <ciemon@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I cannot get Debian to "work".
            >
            > I've a brand new nslu2, I've flashed the ROM with DebianSlug firmware,
            > and bootstrapped Debian in accordance with
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/Bootstrap
            >
            > However, when I reboot, there are no ethernet comms.
            >
            > Having rebooted the slug into DebianSlug (without the usb drive
            > attached) I can read /var/log/messages [1] which doesn't seem to
            > suggest there are any problems.

            Please make sure that you are using the correct firmware image:
            "DebianSlug 3.10 Beta - NSLU2" from
            http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php. This is the image that
            currently works, but requires that if you follow the bootstrap procedure.

            > Depending on how you read it, some of the wiki pages suggest that "the
            > unofficial images that include a driver for the built-in Ethernet
            > device no longer work". Is that the case?

            This applies to the unofficial Debian/NSLU2 images from
            http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/, that used debian-installer beta2.
            These images no longer work since debian-installer beta3.

            Regards,

            Fernando
          • Ciemon Dunville
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 30, 2006
              On 30/10/06, Fernando Carolo <carolo@...> wrote:
              > Please make sure that you are using the correct firmware image:
              > "DebianSlug 3.10 Beta - NSLU2" from
              > http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php. This is the image that
              > currently works, but requires that if you follow the bootstrap procedure.

              This simply won't work for me, I've re-flashed and re-applied these
              around 10 times, every time with the same result.

              Anyone near Salisbury in the UK care to show me where I'm going wrong?
              I'll bring the slug if you can provide the expertise.

              Ciemon
            • Philip Tait
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 30, 2006
                Sounds like you are doing the same setup as I did. What symptoms are
                you seeing? At what stage is it failing?

                On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 07:04 +0000, Ciemon Dunville wrote:
                > On 30/10/06, Fernando Carolo <carolo@...> wrote:
                > > Please make sure that you are using the correct firmware image:
                > > "DebianSlug 3.10 Beta - NSLU2" from
                > > http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php. This is the image that
                > > currently works, but requires that if you follow the bootstrap
                > procedure.
                >
                > This simply won't work for me, I've re-flashed and re-applied these
                > around 10 times, every time with the same result.
                >
                > Anyone near Salisbury in the UK care to show me where I'm going wrong?
                > I'll bring the slug if you can provide the expertise.
                >
                > Ciemon

              • Ciemon Dunville
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
                  No symptoms apart from a lack of ethernet.

                  The flash and bootstrap all work fine, and apply as per the web page,
                  I end by giving turnup disk /dev/sda1 -t ext3 and reboot.

                  The led sequence on the slug seems normal, but there is no response to
                  ping or ssh.

                  In an attempt to troubleshoot I've checked /var/log/messages on the
                  USB drive, again all seems normal.

                  I really appreciate you taking the time to help, this is REALLY
                  frustrating, especially as I've been using debian and ubuntu for a few
                  years now.

                  Ciemon

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ciemon Dunville" <ciemon@...> wrote:

                    > No symptoms apart from a lack of ethernet.

                    Let's try some things:

                    - Make sure that you have copied the modules from the flash image to
                    your hard disk. After mounting /dev/sda under /mnt/debinst and running
                    debootstrap, you should:
                    cd /mnt/debinst
                    cp -a /lib/modules/* lib/modules

                    - Also be sure you have copied some files from /etc (in the flash
                    image) to the hard disk:
                    cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.conf
                    cp /etc/hosts etc/hosts
                    cp /etc/hostname etc/hostname
                    cp /etc/network/interfaces etc/network/interfaces

                    - In order to load the ethernet driver (ixp400_eth) you must have
                    added this line to /etc/modules (this is mentioned in the bootstrap
                    page after you chroot into your hard disk):

                    ixp400_eth dev_max_count=1

                    - Are you using DHCP or a static address? Maybe your
                    /etc/network/interfaces needs some editing. For a fixed address you
                    need something like this:

                    iface eth0 inet static
                    address 192.168.1.78
                    netmask 255.255.255.0
                    gateway 192.168.1.1

                    I suggest you try to set a fixed address, just to rule out any DHCP
                    problem.

                    - Since you are to mount your hard disk on another Linux box, I
                    suggest you edit /etc/default/bootlogd and enable boot logging. If you
                    reboot your slug again and it doesn't work, you can look at
                    /var/log/boot and see the log messages from the kernel at boot and
                    look for any indication about the ethernet driver.

                    Regards,

                    Fernando
                  • Ciemon Dunville
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Fernando, thank you, my problem is now resolved.

                      It was the ethernet driver of course.

                      The problem was in my reading of the wiki, in that up until the driver
                      part I had been editing files using vim, however, the driver part of
                      the page reads:

                      Add the network driver explicity to etc/modules, in order to get the
                      network port working after reboot:

                      echo "ixp400_eth dev_max_count=1" >> /etc/modules

                      ..and so I had been editing /etc/modules and adding that line. Of
                      course you stated that ixp400_eth dev_max_count=1 should be added to
                      the file. Now reading the wiki I can see what the line is doing.

                      Maybe the wiki needs tweaking, maybe I should do what the page says
                      rather than not reading it properly.

                      Anyway, slug bootsrapped from work this morning, now for the fun to begin.

                      Thanks again
                    • Fernando Carolo
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ciemon Dunville" <ciemon@...> wrote:

                        > Fernando, thank you, my problem is now resolved.

                        Very good!

                        > It was the ethernet driver of course.
                        >
                        > The problem was in my reading of the wiki, in that up until the driver
                        > part I had been editing files using vim, however, the driver part of
                        > the page reads:
                        >
                        > Add the network driver explicity to etc/modules, in order to get the
                        > network port working after reboot:
                        >
                        > echo "ixp400_eth dev_max_count=1" >> /etc/modules
                        >
                        > ..and so I had been editing /etc/modules and adding that line. Of
                        > course you stated that ixp400_eth dev_max_count=1 should be added to
                        > the file. Now reading the wiki I can see what the line is doing.
                        >
                        > Maybe the wiki needs tweaking, maybe I should do what the page says
                        > rather than not reading it properly.

                        You are right, the instructions in the wiki look confusing, I will
                        rewrite that part of the page in order to make it clear.

                        > Anyway, slug bootsrapped from work this morning, now for the fun to
                        begin.

                        Hopefully you'll be another happy DebianSlug user :-)

                        Regards,

                        Fernando
                      • Ciemon Dunville
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                          On 01/11/06, Fernando Carolo <carolo@...> wrote:

                          > Hopefully you'll be another happy DebianSlug user :-)

                          I am already and I haven't even started! Hopefully I'll get some more
                          interested at my LUG meet this weekend.

                          Now.. time to give aptitude a workout :)