Re: [nslu2-linux] Missing microcode for NPE-B

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
      pepesz76 wrote:
      > I've cross-compiled the Debianslug 4.0
      > Then I flashed debianslug-nslu2-20061005084205.flashdisk.img as the
      > upgrade for my Debianslug 3.10-beta.

      Since you're using an unreleased not-even-alpha build from monotone
      HEAD, you should be asking this in nslu2-developers, not nslu2-linux.

      > After rebooting I did:
      > turnup disk /dev/sda1 -t ext3
      > cp -Ra /lib/modules/* /media/sda1/lib/modules
      > cp /lib/firmware/NPE-B /media/sda1/lib/firmware
      > reboot
      >
      > The system boots up, however the network interface is down.
      >
      > dmesg returns: Missing microcode for NPE-B :(

      Yep, you're missing the piece which loads the microcode.

      > I did not used any package from debianslug/tmp/deploy/ipk.
      >
      > I would like to keep my standard ipk sources if possible. I do not
      > want to recreate my debian from scratches - I just wont to update
      > kernel.
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      >
      > I'm looking into udev configuration:
      > I have the right Firmware Helper line in the /etc/udev/udev.rules
      > and I cp /lib/udev/firmware.sh /media/sda1/lib/udev/
      > I have udev 0.100-2
      >
      > can you point me into the right direction?

      Nope. You are probably the first person to use the new not-even-alpha
      SlugOS 4.0 kernel with the new open source IXP driver, with a Debian rootfs.

      You need to work out how to get Debian to load the microcode. I would
      suggest you trace how SlugOS does it (and get things running from SlugOS
      in internal flash) before trying to replicate that in your Debian
      rootfs. Once you do work that out, please let Martin (tbm) know so that
      he can add it to the Debian rootfs build.

      -- Rod
    • pepesz76
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
        Hello Rod,

        OK. Now I got it.

        Below there are the steps to use the new SlugOS4.0 kernel with to 2.6.18 and to make
        it work on debianslug (3.1) rootfs

        WARNING: The procedure is not really fixed yet and may cause your slug
        to become inaccessible. Using serial port is advised (to monitor the
        booting sequence).

        1) Flash debianslug-nslu2-<date><subversion?>.flashdisk.img into slug.
        2) reboot without disk attached. Wait for triple beep. Attache disk. Login
        using ssh. Wait for automount or mount it manually.
        3) turnup disk /dev/sda1 -t ext3 (in most cases)
        4) copy the kernel modules from flash to the disk:
        cp -R /lib/modules /media/sda1/lib/
        5) copy the microcode for the ethernet
        cp /lib/firmware/NPE-B /media/sda1/lib/firmware/
        6) copy firmware helper
        cp /lib/udev/firmware.sh /media/sda1/lib/udev/
        7) create the backup of current old /etc/udev and copy the new udev
        from flash
        mv /media/sda1/etc/udev /media/sda1/etc/udev.bak
        cp -R /etc/udev /media/sda1/etc/
        8) Edit etc/modules on your disk and add network drivers
        touch /media/sda1/etc/modules
        echo ixp4xx_qmgr >> /media/sda1/etc/modules
        echo ixp4xx_mac >> /media/sda1/etc/modules
        echo ixp4xx_npe >> /media/sda1/etc/modules
        echo ixp4xx-rng >> /media/sda1/etc/modules
        echo af_packet >> /media/sda1/etc/modules
        echo i2c_dev >> /media/sda1/etc/modules
        9) remove hotplug from /media/sda1/etc/rcS.d
        rm /media/sda1/etc/rcS.d/S??hotplug*
        10) Check the init scripts; since we have very few kernel drivers right now,
        disable everything that might give trouble. Just basic stuff like devfs,
        hostname, networking, mounting, and sshd is needed.
        /etc/rcS.d can be used as a model for /media/sda1/etc/rcS.d
        You can enable the scripts back when you have installed all needed drivers.
        11) reboot.

        --
        Best regards,
        pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2006

          thanks for the little HowTo :)
          I just want to add a little note:
          You might want to check /etc/network/interfaces and remove all pre-up
          entries for ixp4xx, which prevented eth0 to come up automatically on my
          DebianSlug Sid (formerly running a 2.6.16 kernel built march '06).
          Or simple copy the /etc/network/interfaces from the initrd over the one
          on the disc.

          Regards,
          Patrick