Re: ovcamchip, ov511 and openslug.

  • stephane641
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006

      I'm using an OVFX2 based camera and was wondering if it was possible
      to also have the ovfx2 (and ovcamchip!) module exported as it supports
      the more recent usb2 based ov5xx cameras like ibot2 and spacecam380.
      In the meantime I'll try to get the latest and greatest ov511 package
      built as an OE package as the kernel based equivalent is outdated.

      Thanks in advance,
      VoodooZ

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Øyvind Repvik <oyvind@...> wrote:

      > Rob Andrews wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I'm using openslug 3.10 on my NSLU2 (de-underclocked, not ram
      modified, and
      > > trying very hard to run entirely from flash by being stingy with
      what I have
      > > installed).
      > >
      > > Firstly, http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddUsbWebcam
      suggests that
      > > the ov511 USB webcam series are supported by the ovcamchip kernel
      module. I
      > > gather this assumption is incorrect - it is, at least, used by the
      > > w9968cf-based USB cameras, but that is not built as a package.
      Hence the
      > > kernel-module-ovcamchip package is (to the best of my knowledge)
      redundant
      > > and useless in it's current state.
      > >
      > > ov511-based cameras /are/, however, supported by the ov511 kernel
      module.
      > > Following the instructions at the aforementioned URL, openembedded
      does not
      > > produce a kernel-module-ov511 package and hence I'm left stumped
      as to which
      > > files to poke in order to make it so.
      > >
      > > What steps do I have to take to get the openslug build to produce a
      > > kernel-module-ov511 package, and is it possible to have the
      upstream build
      > > stop making the kernel-module-ovcamchip package and start making the
      > > kernel-module-ov511 package?
      >
      > I've updated the kernel. It'll probably take a while before the feed is
      > rebuilt and pushed to the mirrors, but then you can just do this:
      >
      > ipkg update && ipkg install kernel-module-ov511
      >
      > Regards,
      > Øyvind Repvik
      > SlugOS package manager

    • Øyvind Repvik
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
        stephane641 wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm using an OVFX2 based camera and was wondering if it was possible
        > to also have the ovfx2 (and ovcamchip!) module exported as it supports
        > the more recent usb2 based ov5xx cameras like ibot2 and spacecam380.
        > In the meantime I'll try to get the latest and greatest ov511 package
        > built as an OE package as the kernel based equivalent is outdated.

        Send a diff, and I'll commit it ;-)

        Regards,
        Øyvind
      • stephane641
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
          Unfortunately I still can't get the tarball working under OE.
          I'm still a rookie at this. I tried using the pwc .bb and Makefile as
          an example but it doesn't compile anything so the do_install part
          fails because there's no .ko to copy.

          And the kernel based ov511 stuff is not recent enough to support the
          newer cameras.