Re: Fatslug 256MB

  • nww
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2006
      Thanks for your advice. I've tried. But,... got the below results. It
      seems no much different. Actually, I don't know what exactly those
      files are used for and what are they. I just follow the information
      from the web and hope to test out my newly built image. Even though I
      spend a lot of time, it didn't pay out.

      [root@localhost images]# ls -l
      total 19132
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 8388608 Oct 1 08:50
      openslug-nslu2-20061001004539.flashdisk.img
      -rw-r--r-- 1 csnww csnww 5111808 Oct 1 08:50
      openslug-nslu2-20061001004539.rootfs.jffs2
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 31362 Oct 2 16:07 slugimage
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-ds101be
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-dsmg600be
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992496 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-ixp4xxbe
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-loftbe
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-nas100dbe
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-nslu2be
      [root@localhost images]# ./slugimage -u -i
      openslug-nslu2-20061001004539.flashdisk.img -r
      Ramdisk:ramdisk.gz,Flashdisk:flashdisk.jffs2
      Read 2 blocks into <RedBoot>
      Read 0x00006 bytes into <EthAddr>
      Read 1 blocks into <SysConf>
      Read 8 blocks into <Kernel>
      Read 0x1FFF0 bytes into <Ramdisk>
      Read 51 blocks into <Flashdisk>
      Read 1 blocks into <FIS directory>
      Read 0x000F8 bytes into <SwitchArgs>
      Read 0x00010 bytes into <Trailer>
      Wrote 0x00040000 bytes from <RedBoot> into "RedBoot"
      Wrote 0x00020000 bytes from <SysConf> into "SysConf"
      Wrote 0x000F24F8 bytes from <Kernel> into "vmlinuz"
      Wrote 0x0001FFF0 bytes from <Ramdisk> into "ramdisk.gz"
      Wrote 0x00660000 bytes from <Flashdisk> into "flashdisk.jffs2"
      Wrote 0x00000010 bytes from <Trailer> into "Trailer"
      [root@localhost images]# ls -l
      total 27200
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6684672 Oct 2 16:26 flashdisk.jffs2
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 8388608 Oct 1 08:50
      openslug-nslu2-20061001004539.flashdisk.img
      -rw-r--r-- 1 csnww csnww 5111808 Oct 1 08:50
      openslug-nslu2-20061001004539.rootfs.jffs2
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 131056 Oct 2 16:26 ramdisk.gz
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 262144 Oct 2 16:26 RedBoot
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 31362 Oct 2 16:07 slugimage
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 131072 Oct 2 16:26 SysConf
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16 Oct 2 16:26 Trailer
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 992504 Oct 2 16:26 vmlinuz
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-ds101be
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-dsmg600be
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992496 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-ixp4xxbe
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-loftbe
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-nas100dbe
      -rw-rw-r-- 1 csnww csnww 992504 Sep 30 19:32 zImage-nslu2be
      [root@localhost images]# file ramdisk.gz
      ramdisk.gz: MPEG ADTS, layer I, v1, Monaural
      [root@localhost images]#

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby"
      <list.nslu2-linux@...> wrote:

      > What you have ther is the dummy ramdisk.gz partition which we put in
      flashdisk-based images to stop the Linksys redboot "boot" command from
      copying invalid data all over memory when it tries to load a ramdisk
      into ram.
      > You want to give a "-r Ramdisk:ramdisk.gz,Flashdisk:flashdisk.jffs2"
      option to slugimage to unpack a flashdisk-based image. Please add
      that to whatever wiki page you used to find out how to unpack the image.

    • Steve Gane
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 14, 2006
        As you say, the crossbuild environment 'Master Makefile' does work
        amazingly well. What I can't work out is how to patch the kernel
        command line, and specifically WHEN in the flow. The makefile does a
        lot of unpack/patch/configure/compile for lots of packages. I can't
        find a target that leaves things patched but not yet built. I think
        the file I need to edit (for openslug) is
        releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openslug-nslu2.tmp/work/ixp4xx-kernel-2.6.16-r6.6/arch/arm/mach/ixp4xx/nslu2-setup.c
        - it even has comments about fatslugs in it. But it doesn't exist
        until the kernel has been built. I suppose I can make, then edit,
        delete the stamps and go again? Or will that re-fetch the unmodified
        version?

        My eventual target is a 64MB single-bank turbo-debianslug (still with
        Redboot).

        Steve G

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:57:26 -0000, sdm485 wrote:
        > >
        > > > The kernels have a built in command line that includes
        'mem=32M...' so
        > > > you will have to recompile the kernel to change that. It sounds like
        > > > RedBoot configures the processor to do 64M but not necessarily
        in two
        > > > banks which is what you are talking about. I am using the Apex
        > > > bootloader configured and built for 2 banks. It would be ideal if
        > > > RedBoot could be retained as the bootloader because the upgrade
        > > > utility etc would still be available. Not really complaining about
        > > > Apex though; it works very well.
        > > >
        > > > sdm485
        > >
        > > Well, I am not setup to compile anything :( The following may not
        > even be
        > > reasonable questions... If standard RedBoot can use 64M, then what
        > type of
        > > (physicall) memory upgrade is needed to get the 'single' bank
        > system? Removing the
        > > existing chips first?
        > >
        > > Is there an already configured Apex binary out there that one can
        > use (without any
        > > compile) with the two bank system? Anyreferencess to the details
        > and steps?
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > Cordially, Chacko
        > >

        > I am not sure what memory configuration will work with RedBoot. It
        > depends upon how RedBoot is configured. Because the memory size is
        > passed to the kernel at boot time, it is entirely possible that
        > RedBoot is configured for both banks and maximum memory. It would work
        > fine but there would be multiple copies of the 32M memory in the
        > processors address space (which is fine too). But I don't know as
        > I do not have a slug available to figure it out. There is probably
        > RedBoot configuration info available somewhere.
        >
        > You can get Apex from http://wiki.buici.com/wiki/Main_Page and the
        > person who provides us with Apex is now providing binary images
        > for download. I checked the config file for them and they are built
        > for one bank of 32M so that is useful to check out but won't work with
        > more memory until it is recompiled. This website has everything I
        > needed to get Apex working. You can install the slug native build
        > environment and build it right on the slug; that is how I do it. Test
        > it in RAM though and be prepared to move to serial transfer of kernels
        > and filesystems if you replace RedBoot...
        >
        > I just got the most recent build working with 128M so they must have
        > fixed it. Wheee... :)
        >
        > There are no FatSlug images available in binary format and the
        > developers have requested that none be posted in order to keep things
        > from getting confused. The crossbuild environment 'Master Makefile'
        > works amazingly well and they provide information to get it working on
        > different operating systems. It is really the only way to do it at
        > this time.
        >
        > I hope this is useful and I am more than happy to help.

      • sdm485
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 14, 2006
          I managed to get it to work on Openslug 3.10 by modifying
          ../openembedded/packages/linux/ixp4xx-kernel.inc by commenting out
          the regular expression:
          CMDLINE_ROOT ?= "root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw rootfstype=jffs2 init=/linuxrc
          and put in its' place:
          CMDLINE_ROOT = "mem=128M"

          According to my notes, this is the change that worked.

          I use apex as the bootloader as I have 128M. It works very well
          though; I just built php-5.1.6 on it and it used up 107M doing that
          while running apache,cherokee,vsftpd,samba and ntpd.

          Steve

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gane" <steve@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > more memory until it is recompiled. This website has everything I
          > > needed to get Apex working. You can install the slug native build
          > > environment and build it right on the slug; that is how I do it. Test
          > > it in RAM though and be prepared to move to serial transfer of kernels
          > > and filesystems if you replace RedBoot...
          > >
          > > I just got the most recent build working with 128M so they must have
          > > fixed it. Wheee... :)
          > >
          > > There are no FatSlug images available in binary format and the
          > > developers have requested that none be posted in order to keep things
          > > from getting confused. The crossbuild environment 'Master Makefile'
          > > works amazingly well and they provide information to get it working on
          > > different operating systems. It is really the only way to do it at
          > > this time.
          > >
          > > I hope this is useful and I am more than happy to help.

        • Steve Gane
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 15, 2006
            Success! I had to "make debianslug-3.10-beta" (or at least get as far
            as the SVN checkout), then edit:
            releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openembedded/packages/linux/ixp4xx-kernel/2.6.16/94-nslu2-setup.patch
            to add "mem=64M"
            The file you specified seems not to be the kernale command line that
            is actually used :-(

            then remove some stamps:
            rm releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openslug-nslu2.tmp/stamps/ixp4xx-kernel* \
            releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openslug-nslu2.tmp/stamps/debianslug* \
            releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openslug-nslu2.tmp/stamps/slugos* \
            releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openslug-nslu2.tmp/deploy/images/*

            Finally build again:
            make debianslug-3.10-beta

            ..and I now have an image that reports 64M on boot, and the output
            from "free" shows nearly 64M as well. Now I just have to flash it...

            Steve

          • dubbeltje@msn.com