How do I transfer files

  • feralcat44g
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2006
      I'm trying to configure ushare and it won't let me change and save the
      ushare.conf file nor will it let me transfer a new copy over to the
      slug while I'm using windows and Knoppix doesn't want to see my slug
      when I'm using knoppix (guess it hates network drives since it runs
      from CD). How do I get to do anything with a linux powered slug and
      windows powered pc (which can't find it's way out of a wet paper bag
      with a huge hole cut in it). I hate not having the room or the money
      to get another computer either a mac or a pc running linux. I'm having
      a real hard time with configuring anything on my slug to do much of
      anything with it. I don't know how to even get a proxy server, web
      site, or ftp server going. Maybe I'm trying to do too much without
      having enough info to do what I'd like to do. Why is it that windows
      has to hate everything else in the world? I hope they don't decide to
      start making toasters or we'd all be in trouble. Why can't more games
      be written for mac and linux instead of windows?
    • micheal_314
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "feralcat44g" <feralcat44g@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to configure ushare and it won't let me change and save the
        > ushare.conf file nor will it let me transfer a new copy over to the
        > slug while I'm using windows and Knoppix doesn't want to see my slug
        > when I'm using knoppix (guess it hates network drives since it runs
        > from CD). How do I get to do anything with a linux powered slug and
        > windows powered pc (which can't find it's way out of a wet paper bag
        > with a huge hole cut in it). I hate not having the room or the money
        > to get another computer either a mac or a pc running linux. I'm having
        > a real hard time with configuring anything on my slug to do much of
        > anything with it. I don't know how to even get a proxy server, web
        > site, or ftp server going. Maybe I'm trying to do too much without
        > having enough info to do what I'd like to do. Why is it that windows
        > has to hate everything else in the world? I hope they don't decide to
        > start making toasters or we'd all be in trouble. Why can't more games
        > be written for mac and linux instead of windows?

        For text files (like config files and the like) a quicky way to
        transfer something to the slug is to have the file in question on your
        main machine (linux in my case but it should work from windoze also.

        1)Select and "capture" the file contents on the main machine
        2) on the slug either in a telnet, ssh , or putty session type (at the
        slug prompt #
        echo "
        3) then "paste" in the contents of the paste buffer
        4) then on the slug type
        " > somefilename

        This should save the main machine clipboard contents to the slug under
        filename 'somefilename'
        similar example below
        # echo "export TERMINFO=/opt/share/terminfo" > profile
        saves the contents of the echo command into the slug file profile.

        Hope this helps

        another approach is to install the nano text editor on the slug with
        ipkg install nano
        then use that to edit files.