gnokii-smsD

  • Vincent Fare
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 7, 2006
      Hi everybody,

      Is there someone who tried (and maybe success) to install (and use)
      gnokii-smsd on a nslu2 or a synology DS1xx...
      I would like to test it, but prefer to get your filling before in case of.

      Thanks,
      Vincent.
    • jphastingsspital
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 28, 2006
        I'm also looking to get my slug working as an SMS gateway. I've had
        gnokii and my old linux box working together (without X) which
        respondeed to incoming text but I don't have room on my unslung NSLU2
        to install the dev tools to try compiling it!
        I have an only 20Gb HDD that I may try re-unslinging to (if I ever
        figure out how to do that) and then compile it on there - if I get it
        working I'll let you know, and I hope you'll do the same!

        There should definately be a package for this in optware - anyone have
        a spare few moments and a dev box?
      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 29, 2006
          On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 19:27 +0000, jphastingsspital wrote:

          > There should definately be a package for this in optware - anyone have
          > a spare few moments and a dev box?

          I have added gnokii to the repository.

          --
          marceln
        • jphastingsspital
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 29, 2006
            Great work! I'll post any scripts I make for automating tasks by the
            content of incoming messgaes!
          • jphastingsspital
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 29, 2006
              Okay, the plot thickens!

              gnokii installs fantastically (Cheers Marcel) and is just waiting for
              me to hook my phone up...

              I have a 3rd party 'DKU-5' for my nokia 3120, it's a usb cable with an
              in-built PL2303 chip that, basically, allows the phone to think it's
              talking to a normal serial port, not a USB port.

              The downside of this is that it needs drivers, I'm getting this in
              dmesg when I hook it up (if anyone else tries this, you need your
              phone attatched at the same time to complete the circuit - nothing
              will happen if you just use the cable)

              -- dmesg partial output --
              hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-1.1, assigned address 4
              Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
              usb.c: unable to get device descriptor (error=-32)
              hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-1.1, assigned address 5
              Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
              usb.c: unable to get device descriptor (error=-32)
              --

              This is very similar to the problems I had when I built gnokii on my
              arch linux box - my problem now is that I can't compile the kernel and

              Theres some information at the gnokii site
              http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Cables
              but I can't find the sources I used last time around. I'm certain I
              had to recompile the pl2303 kernel module with the device ID of my
              specific PL2303 adapter.

              I've installed the usbutils, but of course lsusb won't give any
              details on the device untill it's recognised by usb.c - does anybody
              have any experience with the usb driver? Any ideas?
              Cheers all
            • Marcel Nijenhof
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 30, 2006
                On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 12:32 +0000, jphastingsspital wrote:
                > but I can't find the sources I used last time around. I'm certain I
                > had to recompile the pl2303 kernel module with the device ID of my
                > specific PL2303 adapter.

                Did you try to install and load the kernel module?
                ipkg install kernel-module-usbserial
                ipkg install kernel-module-pl2303
                insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.o
                insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.o

                --
                marceln
              • jphastingsspital
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Ahhh! It's insmod on the NSLU2 (I'm used to modprobe etc)
                  Right, more problems...

                  -- partial dmesg output --
                  usb.c: registered new driver serial
                  usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
                  usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
                  usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
                  pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver v0.11
                  hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-1.4, assigned address 8
                  Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
                  usb.c: unable to get device descriptor (error=-32)
                  --

                  I don't know how to find the Device ID of my PL2303, I seem to
                  remember that I need to re-compile the PL2303 driver to include mine

                  My mac throws this out:
                  --partial dmesg output --
                  USB-Serial Controller: family specific matching fails
                  --

                  So maybe it is that I have a non-standard PL2303!

                  Thanks so much for your help so far, Happy new year!
                • jphastingsspital
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
                    Probing with Mac OS X's USB probing program gives:

                    -- USb Probe --
                    Full Speed device @ 4 (0x1D100000):
                    ............................................. Composite device:
                    "USB-Serial Controller"
                    Device Descriptor
                    Descriptor Version Number: 0x0110
                    Device Class: 0 (Composite)
                    Device Subclass: 0
                    Device Protocol: 0
                    Device MaxPacketSize: 64
                    Device VendorID/ProductID: 0x067B/0x2303 (Prolific
                    Technology, Inc.)
                    Device Version Number: 0x0300
                    Number of Configurations: 1
                    Manufacturer String: 1 "Prolific Technology Inc."
                    Product String: 2 "USB-Serial Controller"
                    Serial Number String: 0 (none)
                    --

                    So it is a prolific, and it should be working, as it's listed on the
                    gnokii support site: http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Cables
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
                      I'm trying to guess your platform from the email, and I give up: what
                      firmware is this?

                      Try searching for the package containing lsusb -- that command should
                      provide all the details about the device.

                      Mike (mwester)

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
                        Sorry - its the most recent Unslung, 2.4.22-xfs.

                        lsusb won't give anything about the device as it's not being
                        recognised by the kernel (or am I wrong on that?)

                        -- complete lsusb output --
                        Unknown line at line 1809
                        Duplicate HUT Usage Spec at line 2650
                        Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
                        Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
                        Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
                        Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0605
                        Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0840:0082
                        Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0840:0082
                        Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0ea0:2168
                        --

                        None of those device IDs are that of my PL2303 (which is 067b:2303)
                      • Mike (mwester)
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
                          Hmmm... by "most recent", I'm going to assume 6.8-beta. I think that lsusb
                          *should* show you something, but I could be wrong. What port are you
                          plugging it into, and do you have a hub on the system? Have you tried
                          changing that around (hubs are supported on port 1, but I haven't tried a
                          serial device on a hub)?

                          Mike (mwester)

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                            Oh the pain and humiliation! Yes, putting it directly into Port 1 (no
                            hub) makes it sing, dance and (more importantly) work. This now leaves
                            me with a choice: do I want my NSLU2 to work as an SMS gateway or a
                            file server?

                            Are there any ways to sort this problem? Any places you think I could
                            look or things I could research into?

                            Details:
                            Port 2: 512Mb USB Flash drive (unslung here)
                            Port 1: 4 port passive hub (Device ID 05e3:0605)
                            - 2x 300Gb HD
                            - 1x 250Gb HD
                            - Hopefully one PL2303!

                            Many thanks for your help so far!
                          • jphastingsspital
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                              And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                              (preferably with the MySQL option)? The default gnokii makefile
                              doesn't build it by default.
                              A newsgroup posting about how to do it here:
                              http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-December/108719.html
                              the long & short of it is that you need to:
                              make clean && make -DWITH_SMSD install

                              Thanks for your help everyone!
                            • Marcel Nijenhof
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                                On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 22:45 +0000, jphastingsspital wrote:

                                > And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                                > (preferably with the MySQL option)?

                                I am working on it.

                                > The default gnokii makefile doesn't build it by default.

                                There is a separate directory and you have to call make there
                                again. Unfortunately i have to setup a gnokii-stage first so
                                i it's more than just calling make.

                                > A newsgroup posting about how to do it here:
                                > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-December/108719.html
                                > the long & short of it is that you need to:
                                > make clean && make -DWITH_SMSD install

                                That doesn't work for the slug. This instruction is specific for
                                the bsd ports Makefiles.

                                --
                                marceln
                              • Marcel Nijenhof
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                                  On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 22:52 +0100, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:

                                  > > And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                                  > > (preferably with the MySQL option)?

                                  I have submitted the changes for smsd but only with a file backend
                                  at this moment.

                                  --
                                  marceln
                                • jphastingsspital
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
                                    Fantastic! I've tested that out and it works well, except that you
                                    haven't included glib as a required package - this happens otherwise:

                                    smsd: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot

                                    to anyone else who gets this error:
                                    dlopen error: /opt/lib/smsd/libpq.so: cannot open shared object file:
                                    No such file or directory!
                                    Cannot load database module pq in directory /opt/lib/smsd!

                                    it's because the smsD package has only been compiled wih the file
                                    backend, (it's trying to load the postgresql database backend) use:
                                    smsd -m file
                                    and see the manual for more details. (google: smsd man)

                                    Happy, happy, joy, joy!
                                  • Marcel Nijenhof
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 9, 2007
                                      On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 01:29 +0000, jphastingsspital wrote:

                                      > Fantastic! I've tested that out and it works well, except that you
                                      > haven't included glib as a required package - this happens otherwise:
                                      >
                                      > smsd: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot

                                      This is solved by "oleo" in verion 0.6.14-4.

                                      > to anyone else who gets this error:
                                      > dlopen error: /opt/lib/smsd/libpq.so: cannot open shared object file:
                                      > No such file or directory!
                                      > Cannot load database module pq in directory /opt/lib/smsd!

                                      This is solved in version "0.6.14-5". The default is now file!

                                      > it's because the smsD package has only been compiled wih the file
                                      > backend, (it's trying to load the postgresql database backend) use:
                                      > smsd -m file

                                      There is mysql support from version "0.6.14-3". The sql file to
                                      create the actual tables is in version "0.6.14-5".

                                      NOTE:
                                      Could you document the use of smsd in the wiki.

                                      PS:
                                      I would like to thank "oleo" and "bzhou" for
                                      the patched they added to this package as well.

                                      --
                                      marceln