Cannot talk to NSLU2 via web

  • tperki
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2006
      I have had my NSLU2 for several months now. I have had unslung 6.8
      running from a flash device on drive 2 and have been using Twonky
      software to act as a music server. Two days ago, on advice from
      Twonky, I added a commend to my startup script. Basically, it was:
      route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev ixp0

      Since then, I cannot communicate to the NSLU via the web and ip
      address. The NSLU boots up and beeps so it seems to be working, it
      just is deaf. I don't think the route command killed it - but it seems
      coincidental.

      I have flashed the firmware with 2.3R63. No joy. I was able to Redboot
      into the unit from my laptop using a crossover cable (so the hardware
      is working) and cleared the sysconf area following instructions on the
      NSLU wiki. Still no luck.

      Is there any way to find out what address the NSLU might be
      communicating on from Redboot, which seems to be the only way I can
      talk to the unit.

      I have Googled this issue and found several other users who had the
      same problem, but there wasn't any advice that cured my issue.

      Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am about ready to Bin
      this one and buy a replacement.

      tom perkins
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2006
        On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 16:44 +0000, tperki wrote:

        > I have flashed the firmware with 2.3R63. No joy. I was able to Redboot
        > into the unit from my laptop using a crossover cable (so the hardware
        > is working) and cleared the sysconf area following instructions on the
        > NSLU wiki. Still no luck.

        You could try to bind the mac address of your slug to a working
        ip address on your computor with:
        arp -s <ip address slug> <Mac address slug>

        After that you can try to connect to the ip address.

        > Is there any way to find out what address the NSLU might be
        > communicating on from Redboot, which seems to be the only way I can
        > talk to the unit.

        Did you try to sniff the network on packages from the slug?

        --
        Marceln