Advice on choosing a distribution please.

  • oabroad
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
      I'm having a little difficulty getting started on NSLU2 linux. This is
      mainly as I'm also trying to learn Linux as I go along. For this
      reason I opted for unslung and not openslug. All the advice pointed to
      version 6.8, though I wonder if I should have gone back one version as
      the version I got says beta, and some things didn't work when I tried
      them.

      The problem is I think some of the things I want to try may require
      openslug. I'm not using this slug as a fileserver, I've got a NU54
      (white box slug clone) for that, so far I only used the linksys
      firmware to set the IP, format the drive and enable telnet. Should I
      try openslug instead?

      I have a specific goal in mind, which is to control one or more K8055
      USB I/O cards from the slug.

      If that ever works I'd quite like to add a USB camera and some sort of
      wireless device, then by using the I/O card to control a couple of
      motors I could build a simple web controlled robot. Probably never
      happen but anyway...

      First things first: I want to compile/build Nicolas Sutre's "Device
      driver" for the K8055 on the NSLU2 and see if it works.

      The program requires LIBUSB. Is this available on unslung?

      To get the tools I tried ipkg unslung-devel but it failed to install.
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
        On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 09:40 +0000, oabroad wrote:

        > I'm having a little difficulty getting started on NSLU2 linux. This is
        > mainly as I'm also trying to learn Linux as I go along.

        Starting with the nslu isn't the essayist way to learn linux.

        There are a some differences between unslung and a normal linux:
        - There is no gui
        - The user land utilities are based on busybox
        - ...

        > For this reason I opted for unslung and not openslug. All the advice
        > pointed to version 6.8, though I wonder if I should have gone back one
        > version as the version I got says beta, and some things didn't work when
        > I tried them.

        Don't worry about the beta.

        The last release was unlung 5.5 beta.

        Can you tell what didn't work?

        > The problem is I think some of the things I want to try may require
        > openslug. I'm not using this slug as a fileserver, I've got a NU54
        > (white box slug clone) for that, so far I only used the linksys
        > firmware to set the IP, format the drive and enable telnet. Should I
        > try openslug instead?

        The unslung firmware stays as close as possible with the linksys
        firmware but enables you to run other applications as well.

        Openslug is a lot more linux like as unslung because it's not
        build from the linksys flash with all it dependencies.

        > First things first: I want to compile/build Nicolas Sutre's "Device
        > driver" for the K8055 on the NSLU2 and see if it works.
        >
        > The program requires LIBUSB. Is this available on unslung?

        Yes.

        > To get the tools I tried ipkg unslung-devel but it failed to install.

        If you want to compile programs on your slug you need "crosstool-native"
        but the slug is slow and is low on memory.

        It's better to setup a cross compile enviroment and compile your
        programs there.

        Some links how to compile programs for the slug:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung

        --
        Marceln
      • oabroad
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 09:40 +0000, oabroad wrote:
          >
          > > I'm having a little difficulty getting started on NSLU2 linux. This is
          > > mainly as I'm also trying to learn Linux as I go along.
          >
          > Starting with the nslu isn't the essayist way to learn linux.

          Thanks for the reply, I forgot to say I also installed Linux on my PC,
          Ubuntu 6.06. I've been using it for about three weeks now,
          dual-booting with XP.

          > There are a some differences between unslung and a normal linux:
          > - There is no gui
          I figured that there'd be no GUI. I can deal with that, seems like
          almost all development means dropping to command line anyway so I need
          to learn.
          > - The user land utilities are based on busybox
          Thanks, I guess I ought to learn what busybox is

          > Can you tell what didn't work?
          Well I'm also interested in VoIP ...
          ... so inevitably I tried to install asterisk (and the sounds
          package). That just went wierd, I don't think it worked as it threw up
          about 500 errors, mostly missing file/directory, during the install
          but it didn't actually fail the install. At the end directories that
          should have existed didn't and I couldn't get a demo config to run.

          Previously I'd downloaded the tarball to my PC and it built, installed
          and ran with the sample config with little or no difficulty.

          > Openslug is a lot more linux like as unslung because it's not
          > build from the linksys flash with all it dependencies.

          Ultimately that could be a good thing. At some stage I'll probably
          want apache and perl and I might be better off with up-to-date
          versions. I think k8055 might require a 2.6 kernel anyway.

          Actually I reread the author's page for k8055 and found:

          You need libusb ( >=0.1.8 ) and kernel 2.6 to compile..

          So I probably will need openslug, guess I'd better learn how to use
          the upslug2 tool too!!

          > If you want to compile programs on your slug you need "crosstool-native"
          > but the slug is slow and is low on memory.

          I read that page on cross compilation before but I have to admit I
          didn't really understand it. That's the only reason I was looking for
          a native compiler.

          > --
          > Marceln

          Thanks

          Oliver
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
            On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 11:01 +0000, oabroad wrote:

            > > If you want to compile programs on your slug you need
            > "crosstool-native"
            > > but the slug is slow and is low on memory.
            > >
            > I read that page on cross compilation before but I have to admit I
            > didn't really understand it. That's the only reason I was looking for
            > a native compiler.

            Normally a c compiler makes binaries for the platform it runs on.

            But you can build a c compiler in such a way that it creates binaries
            for a other platform (e.g. creating arm binaries on intel).

            A short description how to create a environment for openslug is
            on:
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile

            --
            Marceln