[opeNSLUg] NFS broken ?

  • rasavibes
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi all,

      since yesterday, my NFS server stopped to worked after an ipkg updrade.
      I made a fresh install.
      ipkg update
      ipjg upgrade

      After I install NFS server as described in the HowTo, the NFS server
      won't start because it can not find the nfsd module. However the
      nfsd-kernel-module package is installed....

      I don't know what to do....
      Any help would be appreciated :)

      Thanks
    • brunobinet
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 25, 2006
        Hi!

        I encounter the same problem, but don't have any solution.
        Did you manage to make nfs working for you?
        As you said, it is a problem due to nfsd module :
        ~$ modprobe nfsd
        >> FATAL: Error inserting nfsd
        (/lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/nfsd/nfsd.ko): Unknown symbol in
        module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

        ~$ dmesg
        >> nfsd: Unknown symbol find_exported_dentry
        >> nfsd: Unknown symbol export_op_default

        Don't know how to solve that..

        Bruno

      • cassbeck@free.fr
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
          I think I have the same problem !!!!

          You can see my message here:

          I've got no solution yet.

          CassBeck

          Selon brunobinet <brunobinet@...>:

          > Hi!
          >
          > I encounter the same problem, but don't have any solution.
          > Did you manage to make nfs working for you?
          > As you said, it is a problem due to nfsd module :
          > ~$ modprobe nfsd
          > >> FATAL: Error inserting nfsd
          > (/lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/nfsd/nfsd.ko): Unknown symbol in
          > module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
          >
          > ~$ dmesg
          > >> nfsd: Unknown symbol find_exported_dentry
          > >> nfsd: Unknown symbol export_op_default
          >
          > Don't know how to solve that..
          >
          > Bruno
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rasavibes" <rasavibes@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > since yesterday, my NFS server stopped to worked after an ipkg updrade.
          > > I made a fresh install.
          > > ipkg update
          > > ipjg upgrade
          > >
          > > After I install NFS server as described in the HowTo, the NFS server
          > > won't start because it can not find the nfsd module. However the
          > > nfsd-kernel-module package is installed....
          > >
          > > I don't know what to do....
          > > Any help would be appreciated :)
          > >
          > > Thanks

        • Dave_Hrynkiw
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 7, 2006
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "brunobinet" <brunobinet@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > I encounter the same problem, but don't have any solution.
            > Did you manage to make nfs working for you?
            > As you said, it is a problem due to nfsd module :
            > ~$ modprobe nfsd
            > >> FATAL: Error inserting nfsd
            > (/lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/nfsd/nfsd.ko): Unknown symbol in
            > module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
            >
            > ~$ dmesg
            > >> nfsd: Unknown symbol find_exported_dentry
            > >> nfsd: Unknown symbol export_op_default
            >
            > Don't know how to solve that..

            I'm victim of the same error as well. Any progress on this front?

            Thanks,
            Dave
          • Phil Endecott
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 10, 2006
              >> ~$ modprobe nfsd
              >> (/lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/nfsd/nfsd.ko): Unknown symbol in
              >> module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
              >>
              >> ~$ dmesg
              >>
              >> Don't know how to solve that..
              >>

              > I'm victim of the same error as well. Any progress on this front?

              I don't use OpenSlug, but I do run an NFS server on my Debian/NSLU2 box.

              There are several modules needed for NFS. Maybe for some reason they
              are not all being loaded. Did you run "depmod -a"? (Does this happen
              automatically on OpenSlug?) Maybe the package dependencies are missing something.

              Anyway, here are all the kernel modules that I have related to NFS.
              You could try loading them all explicitly.

              nfs 240852 0
              nfsd 239708 17
              exportfs 5760 1 nfsd
              lockd 66356 3 nfs,nfsd
              nfs_acl 4000 2 nfs,nfsd
              sunrpc 165368 13 nfs,nfsd,lockd,nfs_acl

              Phil.
            • Dave_Hrynkiw
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 11, 2006
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Endecott"
                <spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:
                > > I'm victim of the same error as well. Any progress on this front?
                >
                > I don't use OpenSlug, but I do run an NFS server on my Debian/NSLU2 box.
                >
                > There are several modules needed for NFS. Maybe for some reason they
                > are not all being loaded. Did you run "depmod -a"? (Does this happen
                > automatically on OpenSlug?) Maybe the package dependencies are
                missing something.

                > Anyway, here are all the kernel modules that I have related to NFS.
                > You could try loading them all explicitly.
                >
                > nfs 240852 0
                > nfsd 239708 17
                > exportfs 5760 1 nfsd
                > lockd 66356 3 nfs,nfsd
                > nfs_acl 4000 2 nfs,nfsd
                > sunrpc 165368 13 nfs,nfsd,lockd,nfs_acl

                Hmmm. Here's my list after a "depmod -a":

                slug:~# lsmod
                Module Size Used by
                nfs 187316 0
                lockd 51412 1 nfs
                sunrpc 119424 3 nfs,lockd
                ixp400_eth 24316 0
                ixp400 949156 1 ixp400_eth
                ext3 104232 3
                jbd 46612 1 ext3
                mbcache 5540 1 ext3

                Then, a modprobe...:

                slug:~# modprobe nfsd
                FATAL: Error inserting nfsd
                (/lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/nfsd/nfsd.ko): Unknown symbol in
                module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

                Sooo, we investigate dmesg:

                nfsd: Unknown symbol find_exported_dentry
                nfsd: Unknown symbol export_op_default

                Alright. That message is beyond me...

                Comparing the two lists of modules, it seems besides nfsd, I'm missing
                exportfs... hmmmm... apt-cache search exportfs comes up dry. I'm stumped.

                Any ideas?

                Thanks,
                Dave
              • Phil Endecott
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 12, 2006
                  > nfsd: Unknown symbol find_exported_dentry
                  > nfsd: Unknown symbol export_op_default
                  >
                  > Alright. That message is beyond me...

                  It's just saying that the nfsd module needs to access functions or
                  variables with those names, but it can't find them. They should be
                  either built in to the kernel or be defined in modules that were
                  already loaded. Because it can't find them it won't start.

                  > Comparing the two lists of modules, it seems besides nfsd, I'm missing
                  > exportfs...

                  You're nearly there, I'm sure!

                  Based on the fact that both names have "export" in them, I'd say
                  there's a good chance that find_exported_dentry and export_op_default
                  are defined in the exportfs module. I can check on my PC:

                  $ find /lib/modules/ -name '*export*' -print
                  /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs
                  /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko
                  /lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/fs/exportfs
                  /lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko

                  $ nm /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko | grep export
                  7131e2c0 A __crc_export_op_default
                  5c4456f7 A __crc_find_exported_dentry
                  00000706 t export_decode_fh
                  0000019d t export_encode_fh
                  00000000 D export_op_default
                  000002b1 T find_exported_dentry
                  00000004 r __kcrctab_export_op_default
                  00000000 r __kcrctab_find_exported_dentry
                  00000015 r __kstrtab_export_op_default
                  00000000 r __kstrtab_find_exported_dentry
                  00000008 r __ksymtab_export_op_default
                  00000000 r __ksymtab_find_exported_dentry

                  nm just lists the symbols that are defined or used in an object file.
                  It is in the binutils package. Referring to the nm man page, the
                  letter in the second column tells us that export_op_default is defined
                  in the module's data section (i.e. it's a variable), and
                  find_exported_dentry is defined in the text (aka code) section (i.e.
                  it's a function). So yes, they're there. This may or may not be the
                  same on OpenSlug.

                  Assuming that it is the same, either (a) you don't have an exportfs
                  module, or (b) you do have it, but it isn't being loaded. I suggest
                  that you first check if you have an exportfs.ko in /lib/modules using
                  find; if you do have it, try loading it manually.

                  In my previous message I asked if you had run "depmod -a", or whether
                  this happens automatically on OpenSlug. Can you check this?

                  Phil.
                • Dave_Hrynkiw
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006
                    <spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:

                    > $ find /lib/modules/ -name '*export*' -print
                    > /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs
                    > /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko
                    > /lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/fs/exportfs
                    > /lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko

                    This command came up empty. BUT this returned something:
                    slug:/# locate exportfs
                    /root/lib/modules/2.6.11.12/kernel/fs/exportfs
                    /root/lib/modules/2.6.11.12/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko
                    /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/support/include/exportfs.h
                    /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs
                    /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/exportfs.c
                    /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/exportfs.man
                    /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/exports.man
                    /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/Makefile
                    /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/nfsd.man
                    /usr/sbin/exportfs
                    /usr/share/man/man8/exportfs.8.gz

                    Hmm... What the heck are these doing under /root? Oh yeah, I started
                    investigating converting the nfs-utils-1.0.7.ipk to something I could
                    install as a .deb, but no luck.

                    The located .ko file is for 2.6.11.12, but my uname reports:
                    >Linux slug 2.6.16 #1 PREEMPT Thu Jun 8 23:38:13 PDT 2006 armv5tel
                    GNU/Linux

                    I'm not confident that they'll talk to each other...

                    > $ nm /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko | grep export
                    > 7131e2c0 A __crc_export_op_default
                    > 5c4456f7 A __crc_find_exported_dentry
                    > 00000706 t export_decode_fh
                    > 0000019d t export_encode_fh
                    > 00000000 D export_op_default
                    > 000002b1 T find_exported_dentry
                    > 00000004 r __kcrctab_export_op_default
                    > 00000000 r __kcrctab_find_exported_dentry
                    > 00000015 r __kstrtab_export_op_default
                    > 00000000 r __kstrtab_find_exported_dentry
                    > 00000008 r __ksymtab_export_op_default
                    > 00000000 r __ksymtab_find_exported_dentry

                    and mine returns:
                    slug:/# nm /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko | grep
                    export
                    nm: '/lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko': No such file

                    No surprise there.

                    > nm just lists the symbols that are defined or used in an object file.
                    > It is in the binutils package.

                    Interesting. Neat tip.

                    >I suggest
                    > that you first check if you have an exportfs.ko in /lib/modules using
                    > find; if you do have it, try loading it manually.

                    Well, it seems *kinda* there. Got to figure out why it's installed
                    under /root. I'll see if a simp

                    > In my previous message I asked if you had run "depmod -a", or whether
                    > this happens automatically on OpenSlug. Can you check this?

                    No joy. Still getting this in /var/log/messages after a
                    /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start:

                    Dec 13 21:44:05 slug kernel: nfsd: Unknown symbol find_exported_dentry
                    Dec 13 21:44:05 slug kernel: nfsd: Unknown symbol export_op_default
                    Dec 13 21:44:05 slug kernel: nfsd: Unknown symbol find_exported_dentry
                    Dec 13 21:44:05 slug kernel: nfsd: Unknown symbol export_op_default

                    (again, no surprise).

                    SO my search is now to locate wok da hek is going on with exportfs...
                    Any hints what direction to take? I'll start Googling <sigh>.

                    Thx anyways,
                    Dave
                  • Dave_Hrynkiw
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dave_Hrynkiw" <dave@...> wrote:
                      > > $ find /lib/modules/ -name '*export*' -print
                      > > /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs
                      > > /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko
                      > > /lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/fs/exportfs
                      > > /lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko
                      >
                      > This command came up empty. BUT this returned something:
                      > slug:/# locate exportfs
                      > /root/lib/modules/2.6.11.12/kernel/fs/exportfs
                      > /root/lib/modules/2.6.11.12/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko
                      > /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/support/include/exportfs.h
                      > /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs
                      > /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/exportfs.c
                      > /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/exportfs.man
                      > /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/exports.man
                      > /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/Makefile
                      > /root/nfs-utils-1.0.7/utils/exportfs/nfsd.man
                      > /usr/sbin/exportfs
                      > /usr/share/man/man8/exportfs.8.gz

                      Making a bit of headway. Found this link:
                      <http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=kernel-module-exportfs&id=4467590&official=>

                      It seems to be the right kernel, but it's in .ipk format. Grrrr, these
                      two competing formats are frustrating me to no end. Wish apt-get would
                      work with these automagically.

                      I've yet to find a concise reason why there's ipk AND deb (why ipk at
                      all?).

                      Back to the search,
                      Dave
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006
                        Dave_Hrynkiw wrote:
                        > It seems to be the right kernel, but it's in .ipk format. Grrrr, these
                        > two competing formats are frustrating me to no end. Wish apt-get would
                        > work with these automagically.
                        >
                        > I've yet to find a concise reason why there's ipk AND deb (why ipk at
                        > all?).

                        As far as the NSLU2 is concerned, .ipk means it's a package for SlugOS
                        or Unslung (depending on the feed) that has been built from the
                        OpenEmbedded system, and .deb means it's a package for Debian.

                        These should not be mixed.

                        If you're running a SlugOS kernel, then you need a SlugOS kernel module .ipk

                        If you're running a Debian kernel, then you need a Debian kernel module .deb

                        -- Rod
                      • Dave_Hrynkiw
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dave_Hrynkiw" <dave@...> wrote:

                          > Making a bit of headway. Found this link:

                          <http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=kernel-module-exportfs&id=4467590&official=>

                          I recalled seeing something about loading kernel modules manually, so
                          I followed the directions (from the old, obsolete page I used to load
                          up my NSLU2 with Linux) here:
                          <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/BootstrapLE?from=DebianSlug.Bootstrap>

                          To save you the details, here's the paragraph I used:

                          Manual install

                          Another way to install a kernel module for SlugOS/LE is to manually
                          decompress the .ipk file, copy the module to the /lib/modules/2.6.16
                          dir and test it.

                          In order to unpack the .ipk file, you'll need ar from the binutils
                          package. Install it if you don't have it already: Modprobe should
                          automatically load dependent modules (if they're installed), so check
                          the loaded modules:

                          apt-get install binutils

                          Now, after downloading the desired module, unpack the .ipk file and
                          the data.tar.gz file inside it:

                          ar -x kernel-module-<module>.ipk
                          tar xvzf data.tar.gz -C /

                          After that, the module .ko file will be in the correct place under
                          /lib/modules/2.6.16. From this point, you can load and test it just
                          like if it was installed using dpkg:

                          modprobe -v modulename
                          dmesg | tail

                          If it succeeds, you'll be able to see the module loaded into the kernel:

                          lsmod

                          Again, if there is some dependency problem, you can use modinfo to check:

                          modinfo modulename | grep depends

                          Here's what I did:
                          1) Get the kernel module suitable for your kernel (as located
                          mentioned in the previous message, being
                          <http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=kernel-module-exportfs&id=4467590&official=>
                          slug:~# wget
                          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugos-lag/cross/stable/kernel-module-exportfs_2.6.16-r6.6_ixp4xxle.ipk
                          onnecting to ipkg-us-dyoung.nslu2-linux.org|205.196.212.100|:80...
                          connected.
                          Length: 4,510 (4.4K) [text/plain]

                          100%[====================================>] 4,510 --.--K/s

                          2) Unpack it into the kernel directories
                          slug:~# ar -x kernel-module-exportfs_2.6.16-r6.6_ixp4xxle.ipk
                          slug:~# tar xvfz data.tar.gz -C /
                          ./
                          ./lib/
                          ./lib/modules/
                          ./lib/modules/2.6.16/
                          ./lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/
                          ./lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/
                          ./lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/
                          ./lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko

                          3) Kick it in the ass to get it moving
                          slug:~# depmod -a

                          4) Load up the nfs server
                          slug:~# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
                          Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd mountd.

                          5) Confirm it's running correctly
                          slug:~# cat /var/log/messages
                          .
                          .
                          Dec 13 22:11:39 slug kernel: Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996
                          okir@...).
                          Dec 13 22:11:40 slug kernel: NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as
                          the NFSv4 state recovery directory
                          Dec 13 22:11:40 slug kernel: NFSD: starting 90-second grace period

                          6) Make sure you have a share config'd in the /etc/exports file, and
                          get to work!

                          Well, I'm happy now. I hope the other few posts I saw from others with
                          with similar problems eventually find this post.

                          Thanks for the poke in the right direction, Phil!

                          Think I'll add this to the NSLU2 wiki now....

                          Regards,
                          Dave
                        • Dave_Hrynkiw
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006

                            > As far as the NSLU2 is concerned, .ipk means it's a package for SlugOS
                            > or Unslung (depending on the feed) that has been built from the
                            > OpenEmbedded system, and .deb means it's a package for Debian.
                            >
                            > These should not be mixed.
                            >
                            > If you're running a SlugOS kernel, then you need a SlugOS kernel
                            module .ipk

                            > If you're running a Debian kernel, then you need a Debian kernel
                            module .deb

                            I understand that much, but WHY are there two styles of package?
                            Aren't they both Debian-based? Or is it an issue regarding little/big
                            endian? And they've got to be somewhat cross-compatible, as I've
                            managed to steal a few ipkg utilities to get them to run in my
                            OpenDebian slug. The recent "openfs" was one, and I think "Midnight
                            Commander" or "screen" was the other.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006
                              Dave_Hrynkiw wrote:
                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
                              >> If you're running a SlugOS kernel, then you need a SlugOS kernel
                              > module .ipk
                              >> If you're running a Debian kernel, then you need a Debian kernel
                              > module .deb
                              >
                              > I understand that much, but WHY are there two styles of package?
                              > Aren't they both Debian-based? Or is it an issue regarding little/big
                              > endian? And they've got to be somewhat cross-compatible, as I've
                              > managed to steal a few ipkg utilities to get them to run in my
                              > OpenDebian slug. The recent "openfs" was one, and I think "Midnight
                              > Commander" or "screen" was the other.

                              IPKG came from the OpenEmbedded folks. You'd need to ask them why. Why
                              is there RPM vs DEB? Why doesn't Sun use the same as Linux ?

                              It has nothing to do with endianness.

                              The executables contained in the packages, if they are not kernel
                              modules, may well run on SlugOS or Debian. Just the executables though,
                              none of the startup scripts or configuration files. And only if the
                              libraries they depend upon are compatible.

                              My question to you is, now that there is a stable Debian/NSLU2 firmware,
                              why don't you migrate to it, then you can get all your packages and
                              kernel modules directly from Debian?

                              -- Rod
                            • Phil Endecott
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 14, 2006
                                > Making a bit of headway. Found this link:
                                > <http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=kernel-module-exportfs&id=4467590&official=>
                                >
                                > It seems to be the right kernel, but it's in .ipk format. Grrrr, these
                                > two competing formats are frustrating me to no end. Wish apt-get would
                                > work with these automagically.

                                Your subject line says "openslug", not "debian". What are you running?

                                If you're running Debian, you should have got an exportfs.ko module
                                with your kernel image package.

                                If you're running openslug (slugos) then you should install the module
                                that you found above.

                                > I've yet to find a concise reason why there's ipk AND deb (why ipk at
                                > all?).

                                Because the Debian infrastructure is too complex to run effeciently on
                                a system with limited disk space. For example, my desktop Debian
                                machine has nearly 50 MBytes under /var/lib/apt.

                                Phil.
                              • Dave_Hrynkiw
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006

                                  > My question to you is, now that there is a stable Debian/NSLU2 firmware,
                                  > why don't you migrate to it, then you can get all your packages and
                                  > kernel modules directly from Debian?

                                  I was wondering about that, especially now that after my latest
                                  "apt-get upgrade", I'm getting funky libacl.so.1 error.

                                  slug:/etc# ls -al
                                  ls: relocation error: /lib/libacl.so.1: symbol getxattr, version
                                  ATTR_1.0 not defined in file libattr.so.1 with link time reference

                                  <sigh>

                                  I noticed that the old install procedure I had originally used was
                                  deprecated. With all the flavours/variations, can you confirm for me
                                  that you're referring to the link at
                                  <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/>? Specifically the upgrade
                                  details at <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html>?

                                  Thanks,
                                  Dave
                                • Dave_Hrynkiw
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                                    <spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:

                                    > Your subject line says "openslug", not "debian". What are you running?

                                    That was a highjacked thread title, methinks.

                                    I'm technically running "DebianSlug", as it was installed from
                                    <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/BootstrapLE?from=DebianSlug.Bootstrap>

                                    So that makes is now... OpenSlug/LE? (I'm getting confused with all
                                    the name changes).

                                    > If you're running Debian, you should have got an exportfs.ko module
                                    > with your kernel image package.

                                    I shoulda, but I didn't!
                                    > Because the Debian infrastructure is too complex to run effeciently on
                                    > a system with limited disk space. For example, my desktop Debian
                                    > machine has nearly 50 MBytes under /var/lib/apt.

                                    Ah.... Well that's not a problem for me with running a NSLU2 from an
                                    external HD. Thanks, that explains a lot.

                                    Regards,
                                    Dave
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                                      Yes, that's the recommended way to run Debian on an NSLU2 now. SlugOS/LE (formerly known as DebianSlug) is now deprecated as a way to run Debian on the NSLU2.
                                      -- Rod

                                      > My question to you is, now that there is a stable Debian/NSLU2 firmware,
                                      why don't you migrate to it, then you can get all your packages and
                                      kernel modules directly from Debian?

                                      I was wondering about that, especially now that after my latest
                                      "apt-get upgrade", I'm getting funky libacl.so.1 error.

                                      slug:/etc# ls -al
                                      ls: relocation error: /lib/libacl.so.1: symbol getxattr, version
                                      ATTR_1.0 not defined in file libattr.so.1 with link time reference

                                      <sigh>

                                      I noticed that the old install procedure I had originally used was
                                      deprecated. With all the flavours/variations, can you confirm for me
                                      that you're referring to the link at
                                      <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/>? Specifically the upgrade
                                      details at <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html>?

                                      Thanks,
                                      Dave

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    • pjtait56
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                                        I thought that SlugOS/LE still had the advantage of allowing the Slug
                                        to be booted diskless for troubleshooting purposes?

                                        Also, is there any advantage of either one for getting disk spindown
                                        working?

                                        Philip

                                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <rod@...> wrote:

                                        > Yes, that's the recommended way to run Debian on an NSLU2 now.
                                        SlugOS/LE (formerly known as DebianSlug) is now deprecated as a way to
                                        run Debian on the NSLU2.
                                        > -- Rod

                                      • Dave_Hrynkiw
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pjtait56" <philip@...> wrote:

                                          > I thought that SlugOS/LE still had the advantage of allowing the Slug
                                          > to be booted diskless for troubleshooting purposes?

                                          Yes, I can do that with DebianSlug (now SlugOS/LE, I believe).

                                          > Also, is there any advantage of either one for getting disk spindown
                                          > working?

                                          No idea. From what I've read, it requires you to keep power to the HD
                                          while you swap it from an IDE connector (after setting the "sleep"
                                          enable) to the USB enclosure. Tricky, but possible. I'm waiting for a
                                          better solution to present itself.