Re: Problem following the EthernetAdapter instructions on the wiki

  • bullfrog528
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi

      I've added a few notes to the wiki page - hope that sorts you out.
      Unfortunately my own dilema still remains as it appears there is a
      problem adding the D-link DUB-E100 Usb ethernet adaptor rev B1 which
      uses a different chipset.

      Can someone update the wiki page to list some adaptors which are
      still being manufactured and they know to work?

      regards

      Bullfrog

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <list.nslu2-
      linux@...> wrote:

      > The mii error might indicate a need for another kernel module -
      look for a kernel module with mii in it's name.
      > Use depmod -a after installing modules, and then use modprobe to
      load modules instead of insmod.
      > Use a diversion script to automatically load the module on Unslung.
      > -- Rod

      Netgear FA-120 USB to Ethernet interface for this purpose, since it
      is listed on the EthernetAdapter page on the wiki as a working unit.
      > However, when I try to follow the instructions, things do not turn
      out the way they are supposed to. My guess is that it is because I
      run Unslung 5.5 and the instructions were written for a different
      version of Unslung, is this correct?
      > Anyway here is what happens, and I hope that someone on this list
      will be able to tell me if I need to do something differently to get
      it to work or not:

      > A. Install the kernel-module:
      >

      > run ipkg install kernel-module-pegasus.
      >
      > OK. I ran 'ipkg install kernel-module-usbnet instead as this was
      listed as the correct driver for the Netgear FA-120. This went well.
      > B Hooking it all up Hook up you USB Ethernet adapter to your slug
      > OK, did that.
      > Go to /opt/lib/modules (Unslung) or /lib/modules (other OSes?)
      > First problem: There is no such directory!
      > find pegasus.o or pegasus.ko in this directory; Do 'insmod
      pegasus.o' or 'insmod pegasus.ko' (as appropriate)
      > Did 'insmod usbnet' anyway.
      > Got 'Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/usbnet.o
      > insmod: unresolved symbol generic_mii_ioctl'
      > Why this error?
      > Now the device eth1 should be created. Do 'ifconfig -a' to verify
      the presence of an inactive network adapter. (eth0 is the built-in
      network controller)
      > Typed 'ifconfig -a' and the following devices were listed:
      > ixp0, ixp1, lo. No eth0 or eth1. I am thinking that maybe ixp1
      is my newly configured device anyway, is it?
      > Now you can do things like 'ifconfig eth1 up 10.0.1.114' and so on -
      it is an active Ethernet device.
      > OK, did 'ifconfig ixp1 up 10.0.1.114' and then 'ifconfig -a'.
      ipx1 got an IP adress! Does this mean it is working?
      > update your routing tables as you see fit
      > Have not gotten this far yet.
      > Unslung: add a line in /opt/etc/modules : pegasus alias eth1
      > Problem again: there is no /opt/etc/modules file!
      > SlugOS: add a line in /etc/modutils/modules (creating the file if
      needed: pegasus alias eth1 ; then run update-modules

      > Note: for debianslug and AX8817X based devices you might also need
      the 'asix' module. OK, so I have this chipset, but not debianslug,
      so I don't need it? If I need it, how do I find it? ('ipkg install
      asix' returns 'nothing to be done, check spelling' etc)
      > I hope that someone can help me with these questions.
      > Thanks.
      > --
      > Hans-G²an
      > Messages in