unslung 6.8 formatting problem

  • sniehues
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2 5:03 AM
      Hi there,

      I've upgraded from unslung 5.5 to 6.8. The system currently runs from
      internal memory and I want to unsling it to an USB stick (1GB) on port 2.

      I did an "clean update" meaning started all over. It worked fine
      first, I did an unsling to the USB stick. However after the first
      reboot the system showed again "running from internal flash". Plus I
      got a message "Can't get Samba information". After reading a lot of
      postings I flashed back to Linksys firmware erased some memory block
      with "fis erase" as desribed in many messages and now the message is
      gone. Then flashed back to unslung 6.8. So far so good.

      For some reason the formatting of the USB stick doesn't work, it
      starts and then comes back with the "Not formatted" message in the web
      interface. ( I tried different sticks of course)

      I left the language at USA 437 since I heard about problems concerning
      this.

      Sorry in case this an FAQ question, I searched but did't find anything
      that helped.

      Any suggestions what I could try? Unfortunately I don't have Linux
      knowledge.....

      Thanks

      Steffen
    • sniehues
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 10:09 AM
        Update: I got it formatted now by trying it a couple of times. I also
        tried a brand new USB stick plugged it in clicked format in th NSLU's
        web interface and it came out as "FAT/FAT32" which is strange
        behaviour...

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sniehues" <steffen.niehues@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I've upgraded from unslung 5.5 to 6.8. The system currently runs from
        > internal memory and I want to unsling it to an USB stick (1GB) on
        port 2.

        > I did an "clean update" meaning started all over. It worked fine
        > first, I did an unsling to the USB stick. However after the first
        > reboot the system showed again "running from internal flash". Plus I
        > got a message "Can't get Samba information". After reading a lot of
        > postings I flashed back to Linksys firmware erased some memory block
        > with "fis erase" as desribed in many messages and now the message is
        > gone. Then flashed back to unslung 6.8. So far so good.
        >
        > For some reason the formatting of the USB stick doesn't work, it
        > starts and then comes back with the "Not formatted" message in the web
        > interface. ( I tried different sticks of course)
        >
        > I left the language at USA 437 since I heard about problems concerning
        > this.
        >
        > Sorry in case this an FAQ question, I searched but did't find anything
        > that helped.
        >
        > Any suggestions what I could try? Unfortunately I don't have Linux
        > knowledge.....
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Steffen

      • jx7dfa
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28 8:38 AM
          I am banging my head in the wall by frustration over USBsticks and
          Unslung 6.8 & V25R63. My first stick were 500MB and I was not able to
          format it properly in the webinterface or in Knoppix Linux.
          Now I have a new 1GB stick, but still the same trouble.

          Can anybody advice how to format a stick...?

          Thanks!

          wrote:

          > Update: I got it formatted now by trying it a couple of times. I also
          > tried a brand new USB stick plugged it in clicked format in th NSLU's
          > web interface and it came out as "FAT/FAT32" which is strange
          > behaviour...
          >

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sniehues" <steffen.niehues@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi there,
          > >
          > > I've upgraded from unslung 5.5 to 6.8. The system currently runs from
          > > internal memory and I want to unsling it to an USB stick (1GB) on
          > port 2.
          > >
          > > I did an "clean update" meaning started all over. It worked fine
          > > first, I did an unsling to the USB stick. However after the first
          > > reboot the system showed again "running from internal flash". Plus I
          > > got a message "Can't get Samba information". After reading a lot of
          > > postings I flashed back to Linksys firmware erased some memory block
          > > with "fis erase" as desribed in many messages and now the message is
          > > gone. Then flashed back to unslung 6.8. So far so good.
          > >
          > > For some reason the formatting of the USB stick doesn't work, it
          > > starts and then comes back with the "Not formatted" message in the web
          > > interface. ( I tried different sticks of course)
          > >
          > > I left the language at USA 437 since I heard about problems concerning
          > > this.
          > >
          > > Sorry in case this an FAQ question, I searched but did't find anything
          > > that helped.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions what I could try? Unfortunately I don't have Linux
          > > knowledge.....
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Steffen

        • jx7dfa
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28 9:20 AM
            After trying a few times, I left the stick in the NSLU2 for 20 minutes
            or so. When I came back it was formatted EXT3 and I am now finally
            UNSLUNG! :-) :-)

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jx7dfa" <la7dfa@...> wrote:

            > I am banging my head in the wall by frustration over USBsticks and
            > Unslung 6.8 & V25R63. My first stick were 500MB and I was not able to
            > format it properly in the webinterface or in Knoppix Linux.
            > Now I have a new 1GB stick, but still the same trouble.
            >
            > Can anybody advice how to format a stick...?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sniehues" <steffen.niehues@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Update: I got it formatted now by trying it a couple of times. I also
            > > tried a brand new USB stick plugged it in clicked format in th NSLU's
            > > web interface and it came out as "FAT/FAT32" which is strange
            > > behaviour...
            > >

            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sniehues" <steffen.niehues@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi there,
            > > >
            > > > I've upgraded from unslung 5.5 to 6.8. The system currently runs
            from
            > > > internal memory and I want to unsling it to an USB stick (1GB) on
            > > port 2.
            > > >
            > > > I did an "clean update" meaning started all over. It worked fine
            > > > first, I did an unsling to the USB stick. However after the first
            > > > reboot the system showed again "running from internal flash". Plus I
            > > > got a message "Can't get Samba information". After reading a lot of
            > > > postings I flashed back to Linksys firmware erased some memory block
            > > > with "fis erase" as desribed in many messages and now the message is
            > > > gone. Then flashed back to unslung 6.8. So far so good.
            > > >
            > > > For some reason the formatting of the USB stick doesn't work, it
            > > > starts and then comes back with the "Not formatted" message in
            the web
            > > > interface. ( I tried different sticks of course)
            > > >
            > > > I left the language at USA 437 since I heard about problems
            concerning
            > > > this.
            > > >
            > > > Sorry in case this an FAQ question, I searched but did't find
            anything
            > > > that helped.
            > > >
            > > > Any suggestions what I could try? Unfortunately I don't have Linux
            > > > knowledge.....
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > >
            > > > Steffen

          • zxtiz
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 28 9:47 AM
              I had a similar problem the other night when I was trying to format
              a new 1gb USB stick. I'd just flashed to unslung 6.8 and tried to
              format the USB stick, after a while it came back as formated
              FAT/FAT32, not what I wanted.

              I put the stick in my XP machine and looked at it via the disk
              manager and it showed 3 partitions, I think one was a FAT and the
              other two were unknown so they may have been EXT3. I simply deleted
              all the partitions so the key was unformated put it back in the
              NSLU2 and tried the format again. This time it worked, the web
              interface told me it was formatted with EXT3.

              Andy Tyrrell