Three beeps -> disk (nearly) full

  • peecock41
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
      Here's my 2cts of additional (useless) information.

      The box beeps every 8 hours for about a minute, each time three short
      beeps. Looking into /var/log/server.log I found the following:

      4 09/17 08:00:00 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
      access.

      I haven't found this in the manual, but there you go. Indeed I filled
      up my disk already ;-)

      There is also a http://yellow/Management/log_server.cgi page (my box
      is called yellow), which can configure it to send syslog messages to
      another server. However, I haven't seen any message arriving at my
      other Linux box.

      The smtpclient found can send mail as:

      echo "This is my message" | smtpclient -s "My Subject" -f
      someone@... -v recipient@...

      all on one line, but the -S (or --smtp-host= ) option doesn't work. So
      it can't send mail THROUGH your mailserver, but only sends it directly
      to the mailserver of the recipient domain, if it can find it.

      Albert
    • NEWMAN Victor F
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
        THANK YOU!!!

        That explains what mine's been doing. I just haven't had time to
        investigate it.

        That was anything BUT useless information.

        Victor Newman

        > Subject: Three beeps -> disk (nearly) full
        >
        > Here's my 2cts of additional (useless) information.
        >
        > The box beeps every 8 hours for about a minute, each time three short
        > beeps. Looking into /var/log/server.log I found the following:
        >
        > 4 09/17 08:00:00 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
        > access.
        >
        > I haven't found this in the manual, but there you go. Indeed I filled
        > up my disk already ;-)
      • rwhitby
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
          This would be perfect content for an
          Info/WhyTheNSLU2BeepsEveryEightHours wiki page. Would you like to add
          such a page?

          -- Rod

          On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:35:17 -0000, peecock41 <peecock41@...> wrote:
          > Here's my 2cts of additional (useless) information.
          >
          > The box beeps every 8 hours for about a minute, each time three short
          > beeps. Looking into /var/log/server.log I found the following:
          >
          > 4 09/17 08:00:00 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
          > access.
          >
          > I haven't found this in the manual, but there you go. Indeed I filled
          > up my disk already ;-)
          >
          > There is also a http://yellow/Management/log_server.cgi page (my box
          > is called yellow), which can configure it to send syslog messages to
          > another server. However, I haven't seen any message arriving at my
          > other Linux box.
          >
          > The smtpclient found can send mail as:
          >
          > echo "This is my message" | smtpclient -s "My Subject" -f
          > someone@... -v recipient@...
          >
          > all on one line, but the -S (or --smtp-host= ) option doesn't work. So
          > it can't send mail THROUGH your mailserver, but only sends it directly
          > to the mailserver of the recipient domain, if it can find it.
          >
          > Albert
          >

          > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • peecock41
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2004
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, rwhitby <unslung@g...> wrote:
            > This would be perfect content for an
            > Info/WhyTheNSLU2BeepsEveryEightHours wiki page. Would you like to add
            > such a page?
            >
            > -- Rod
            >
            > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:35:17 -0000, peecock41 <peecock41@y...> wrote:
            > > Here's my 2cts of additional (useless) information.
            > >
            > > The box beeps every 8 hours for about a minute, each time three short
            > > beeps. Looking into /var/log/server.log I found the following:
            > >
            > > 4 09/17 08:00:00 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
            > > access.

            Could somebody do this for me, I don't have much Wikisperience yet?

            Here's the system status log, as you can see, the disk full check is
            run at 00:00, 08:00, and 16:00.

            Thanks,

            Albert

            09/18 08:00:00 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
            access.
            09/18 00:00:00 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
            access.
            09/17 16:00:00 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
            access.
            09/17 08:00:00 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
            access.
            09/17 00:00:39 Disk 1 is almost full. Continued use will affect file
            access.