unSlung / upSlug howto confirming

  • CN
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      My background: Have successfully unSlung5.x a virgin v.R29 slug almost a year ago, and unSlung6.x another virgin v.R63 slug in the last couple of months [production mode use for many months].

      Now I want to upgrade my older unSlung5 sw to 6. I read all the Wiki pages I could find, I would like to get some confirmation from this very helpful and friendly community before proceeding.

      1. Since this is an upgrade from unSlung, I cannot use the factory upgrade method I had used before.

      2. If I want to use the upSlug2 method, will upSlug2 run on slugB to upgrade slugA ? I see that upslug2 ipkg is on the feed.

      2B. Are there different versions of the firmware.bin image file for linux based upload vs windows based upload -- that is, can I use the .bin image file of unSlung6 I used last time from winxp also from slugB too, or a differently formatted image needed?

      2C. From the wiki: from an external computer on the same subnet (direct Ethernet access is needed; it won't work if you have routers or NAT devices between you and the NSLU2, though WiFi? via a wireless router is OK).

      Both my slugs are directly connected to internal ports (same subnet) of a router (connected to a cable modem on the outside net). Will that work? Or some special ethernet cable needed?

      3. Is it necessary to first update the linksys firmware v.29 to v.69 before doing the unSlung upgrade? Or unSlung6 already includes the newer version of the firmware?

      4. If the linksys factory version needs to be updated, can I use upSlug2 for that too?

      Cordially, Chacko

    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
        > 2C. From the wiki: from an external computer on the same subnet (direct
        > Ethernet access is needed; it won't work if you have routers or NAT devices
        > between you and the NSLU2, though WiFi? via a wireless router is OK).
        >
        > Both my slugs are directly connected to internal ports (same subnet) of a
        > router (connected to a cable modem on the outside net). Will that work? Or
        > some special ethernet cable needed?

        I'm pretty confident that this will work.

        Phil.
      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
          On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 12:59 -0700, CN wrote:
          > 2. If I want to use the upSlug2 method, will upSlug2 run on slugB to
          > upgrade slugA ? I see that upslug2 ipkg is on the feed.

          It should be possible to use the upslug from the feed.
          But the version is somewhat outdated.

          > 2B. Are there different versions of the firmware.bin image file for
          > linux based upload vs windows based upload -- that is, can I use
          > the .bin image file of unSlung6 I used last time from winxp also from
          > slugB too, or a differently formatted image needed?

          No. The program just pushes the firmware on the network.

          > 2C. From the wiki: from an external computer on the same subnet
          > (direct Ethernet access is needed; it won't work if you have routers
          > or NAT devices between you and the NSLU2, though WiFi? via a wireless
          > router is OK).
          >
          > Both my slugs are directly connected to internal ports (same subnet)
          > of a router (connected to a cable modem on the outside net). Will that
          > work? Or some special ethernet cable needed?

          Those home routers have a internal switch connected to a small router.

          The reason for the direct link is that the firmware is uploaded with
          a ethernet protocol without ip stack.

          > 3. Is it necessary to first update the linksys firmware v.29 to v.69
          > before doing the unSlung upgrade? Or unSlung6 already includes the
          > newer version of the firmware?

          Unslung 6 contains all the important parts of the R63. The unslung
          firmware is a compleet firmware image. It will flash all the os
          parts of the flash. So it will overwrite the complete v.69 firmware
          if you upload that.

          > 4. If the linksys factory version needs to be updated, can I use
          > upSlug2 for that too?

          You don't need to update the linksys firmware but upslug2 is
          able to upload that firmware as well.

          --
          Marceln
        • CN
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
            On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:52:21 +0200, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:

            > > 2C. From the wiki: from an external computer on the same subnet
            > > (direct Ethernet access is needed; it won't work if you have routers
            > > or NAT devices between you and the NSLU2, though WiFi? via a wireless
            > > router is OK).
            > >
            > > Both my slugs are directly connected to internal ports (same subnet)
            > > of a router (connected to a cable modem on the outside net). Will that
            > > work? Or some special ethernet cable needed?
            >
            > Those home routers have a internal switch connected to a small router.
            >
            > The reason for the direct link is that the firmware is uploaded with
            > a ethernet protocol without ip stack.

            Marcel (and others ), Thank you very much for the answers to ALL my
            questions! I have completed my upgrade successfully.

            As for the above item 2C., I chose to use sercomm from my winxp, and it was
            able to upgrade my slug thru my router. My local net is 192.168.1.x, and had
            to do the winxp settings to access the 0.x net where slug listens on upgrade
            mode.

            Again thank you for all the help!!

            Cordially, Chacko