Re: I/O error from unknown device (sdb)

  • Adam Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      chandersawh <chandersawh@...> writes:

      > I am getting these weird messages from:
      >
      > # cat /var/log/messages
      >
      > I don't have a "sdb" device mounted.

      You don't say what firmware you are running but the mountlist looks like
      Unslung 6

      It also looks like you have got your main disk on port2 and something else,
      maybe even multiple somethings on port 1. If there are 2 storage devices pluged
      in to port 1 (or 1 devices with 2 logical units such as a card reader with 2
      slots or a card slot and a HD) then the messages you are seeing are nothing to
      worry about provided they just occur once at bootup or when you plug the
      peripheral in.
    • chandersawh
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
        Yes, I am using unslung 6.8 beta.

        You are right, I do have my main disk in port 1 and a 4 port usb 2.0
        hub attached to port 1.

        Attached to the usb hub is a ext3 formatted drive (250GB hdd, single
        partition. (/dev/sdc)

        Also attached to that usb hub is my Epson cx6600 printer, this printer
        has a built in 'card reader'.

        Could this 'card reader' that built into the printer caused these
        messages/errors?

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

        > chandersawh <chandersawh@> writes:
        >

        > > I am getting these weird messages from:
        > >
        > > # cat /var/log/messages
        > >
        > > I don't have a "sdb" device mounted.
        > >

        > You don't say what firmware you are running but the mountlist looks like
        > Unslung 6
        >
        > It also looks like you have got your main disk on port2 and
        something else,
        > maybe even multiple somethings on port 1. If there are 2 storage
        devices pluged
        > in to port 1 (or 1 devices with 2 logical units such as a card
        reader with 2
        > slots or a card slot and a HD) then the messages you are seeing are
        nothing to
        > worry about provided they just occur once at bootup or when you plug the
        > peripheral in.

      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
          > Could this 'card reader' that built into the printer caused these
          > messages/errors?

          If the printer behaves at all like my Epson R320, the answer is "yes".

          Mike (mwester)